Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:21 PM

27 posts, read 92,383 times

Advertisements

I'll be spending some time in DC in the near future and have a few questions regarding public transit. I have the most experience with the CTA system (buses, L trains) in Chicago, so a lot of my questions will bring up Chicago transit, which I'm guessing many of you are probably familiar with as well.

1) Is it a flat rate charge per train or bus ride? For instance, in Chicago it costs $2.25 currently to hop onto a bus or intra-city "L" train, no matter the distance you're traveling. What are DC public transit prices like? Same for bus and train?

2) If needing to transfer lines on the L in many cases this can be done for free as long as the lines "intersect" on the same platform. Same situation in DC?

3) What is the method of payment for DC transit? Is it possible to pay with cash or is a card necessary? In Chicago the same card can be used on train and bus, though I've been to cities where for whatever reason this isn't the same. Is the same payment method used in DC for both kinds of transit?

4) How accessible is "Central DC" (i.e. White House, Wash. Monument, etc.) from the Georgetown area via public transit?

Well, that's it for now. Any and all information would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownYoungProfessional View Post
I'll be spending some time in DC in the near future and have a few questions regarding public transit. I have the most experience with the CTA system (buses, L trains) in Chicago, so a lot of my questions will bring up Chicago transit, which I'm guessing many of you are probably familiar with as well.

Honestly, I've never even been to Chicago but I have dealt with other systems such as the NYC subway and Atlanta's MARTA. I can answer your questions.

1) Is it a flat rate charge per train or bus ride? For instance, in Chicago it costs $2.25 currently to hop onto a bus or intra-city "L" train, no matter the distance you're traveling. What are DC public transit prices like? Same for bus and train?

DC trains(Metro) use a distance and time based fare system. The farther you travel the higher the charge and you also pay a higher rate when traveling during rush hours(5-9:30am and 3-7pm). It can get pretty expensive. Buses are $1.80 cash or $1.60 with SmartTrip card(which also always you free transfers). They are the same regardless of distance.

2) If needing to transfer lines on the L in many cases this can be done for free as long as the lines "intersect" on the same platform. Same situation in DC?

DC lines intersect at certain stations such as Metro Center, Gallery Place, and L'enfant Plaza. You can switch between lines at those transfer points.

3) What is the method of payment for DC transit? Is it possible to pay with cash or is a card necessary? In Chicago the same card can be used on train and bus, though I've been to cities where for whatever reason this isn't the same. Is the same payment method used in DC for both kinds of transit?

You can use SmartTrip cards for Metro and bus in DC, the Circulator buses, and also for some of the other regional systems like the Fairfax Connector. I even think you can use it on Baltimore systems.

4) How accessible is "Central DC" (i.e. White House, Wash. Monument, etc.) from the Georgetown area via public transit?

Georgetown is not connected to Metro but it's actually not an impossible walk to the areas near the White House and the Mall. You can catch the Circulator($1/trip) from M Street and transfer as needed.

Circulator Route Map | DC Circulator

Well, that's it for now. Any and all information would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Can you give me an approximate range as far as prices paid for Metro train travel?

I'm not one for dishonesty, but out of curiosity how is the train travel enforced (i.e. how do they "police" the system to ensure that you don't buy the cheapest fare and travel a longer distance)? I've never been on public train transit that isn't simply a flat rate.. so I'm mildly curious.

Thanks for the info though!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 PM

Also:

1) Are transfers on the $1 circulator also free with SmartTrip like the other bus system?

2) Is Circulator integrated with the Google Maps app for iPhone as I know METRO is?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,358 times
a lot of this stuff you're asking can easily be found on the metro website: Metro - Getting Around

the smartrip card will calculate based on the station you swiped the card to begin your trip and then where you swipe it at your final destination

Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 PM

Not the questions I just asked

Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,858,798 times
Quote:
I don't know anything about the Chicago transit, but I will try to help you out on DC-related questions.

Quote:
It costs $1.60 to ride the bus no matter the distance if you use a card. The train ride depends on the distance. Get a card no matter what. If you ride the train at least five times, it pays for itself.

With a SmarTrip card, there is a minimum of $1.70 off peak and $2.10 during peak hours. If you're inside DC, you probably not going to pay much more than $2.00 for a single trip in the metro. If you go to the suburbs, it might go up a bit ($2.75 or so from Ballston to Tenleytown, e.g.).

Go to WMATA.com to calculate routes that you might actually use.

Quote:
If they're in the same station, you can transfer for free. If you have a SmarTrip card, you can also transfer between the two Faraggut stations for free.

Quote:
Buy a SmarTrip card. They're sold at most stations and CVSs. It's extremely convenient and will make your life much easier. You can pay with cash or card. On the train, you can use the SmarTrip card, or you can buy a paper ticket. But the paper ticket makes things much more expensive. On the bus, you use either the SmarTrip or cash (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I only use SmarTrip).

Quote:
Georgetown is the inaccessible part. Depending where you are, it could be up to a 20 minute walk to either Foggy Bottom or over the bridge to Rosslyn. Alternatively, you could take the bus. There are buses going to either metro station (it's fastest to transfer, sadly).

Quote:
Perhaps this will answer some more questions:

Metro Song - YouTube

Quote:
Also:

1) Are transfers on the $1 circulator also free with SmartTrip like the other bus system?

2) Is Circulator integrated with the Google Maps app for iPhone as I know METRO is?
Transfers are free with a SmarTrip, yes. I can't help you on the app because I don't have an iPhone.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM

66 posts, read 117,962 times
Quote:
how do they "police" the system to ensure that you don't buy the cheapest fare and travel a longer distance?
Your card gets scanned when you enter the station and scanned again when you exit at your destination.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,858,798 times
Although, if you really want to be dishonest, I guess you could try to walk quickly behind someone entering and then your card won't scan properly when you leave and they'll usually just let you through. It seems like an awful lot of effort to save $2, though.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,393,420 times
Quote:
Can you give me an approximate range as far as prices paid for Metro train travel?

I'm not one for dishonesty, but out of curiosity how is the train travel enforced (i.e. how do they "police" the system to ensure that you don't buy the cheapest fare and travel a longer distance)? I've never been on public train transit that isn't simply a flat rate.. so I'm mildly curious.

Thanks for the info though!
Passengers must scan their cards as they exit the stations, this is how the system knows how far you traveled. Scan to enter, Scan to exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC