Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM

76 posts, read 180,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
LOL, yeah I wont disagree with you on that, a lot of us desi men tend to have these hang ups. Same goes for desi women vis a vis desi men dating interracially.
Haha, I specifically said "on the street" because I didn't want to bring up the fact that, whenever I do get the occasional funny look, it's usually from a desi in an environment with lots of desis, rather than randomly on the street. But honestly, even those are pretty rare. We don't really do clubs...wondering if we might see more hostility in a "competitive environment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:45 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,633,459 times
i luuuuuuuv interracial like a fat kid luv cake

Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM

16 posts, read 31,184 times
You'll be fine. DC is obviously very cosmopolitan and diverse. Interracial couples are not uncommon at all.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,399,862 times
it's none of my business.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,335 times
I see more black women in IR relationships than anywhere else I've lived. Went to a restuarant in DC a few weeks ago and there were three black women with white men in there. People might stare, but probably more out of curiosity. You'll be fine basically.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 AM

30 posts, read 60,374 times
Thanks for the responses. I figured interracial relationships would be as normal in D.C. as any metro area, but I was a bit worried that the reaction would be more like what we've experienced in places further down the coast. Reassuring that static is unlikely.

And yeah, the yuppie suburbs are off the list anyway. NE D.C./PGC seem more likely at this point for a variety of reasons, money being not the least of them.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM

42 posts, read 102,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWB18 View Post
What's the deal in D.C.?
Mang, nobody cares. It's D.C., so the question is... funny, actually. Happy moving!

Baltimore, on the other hand...

Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM

1,261 posts, read 693,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWB18 View Post
The quick devolution (debasement?) of the thread below got me curious about something.

I'm moving to D.C. in a few months with my long-time girlfriend. We are an interracial couple (black woman/white man). Each of us comes from cultures and areas (Latin/Caribbean and Northeastern city/South Florida) where seeing people of different races together, in public, in a relationship, is normal and generally accepted. However in other parts of the country, we've come to find, there is a lot of hostility, and it's not unusual for people to express their distaste in both subtle and overt ways.

What's the deal in D.C.? Obviously it's a broad question, but for those who have some experience, is D.C. more like NY/NJ/Miami, or more like Atlanta/Jacksonville, when it comes to acceptance of interracial relationships? It won't influence our decision one way or another, but I'd like to know.
Nobody cares.....DC is one of the largest gay hubs in the country, do you really think they care if you date a black woman or vice versa? We ain't New York, but live and let live here in ol'e DC. Just don't root for the Ravens.....that's a No-NO!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,478 times
When I was living in DC (from 1999 - 2007) I dated a lot interracially (I am a white female). I never encountered any issues at all.

You will be fine.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM

365 posts, read 644,650 times
There is a lot of Interracial dating in the DC and Northern VA area. You will be just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC