Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM

32,160 posts, read 34,838,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Your the one that brought LA into the conversation. Your making the point that there is so much undeveloped land inside the beltway, and I am saying that it obviously can be more infill, but will not be similar to LA.
Who said anything about developing "to the level of LA?" You're clearly confused here. I juxtaposed screen shots of LA and DC Metro to show the comparative open space in both places. In L.A., there's so little land that infilling is near impossible without having to raze something. The region is almost fully built out. In contrast, the DC metro area has lots of little pockets that can be infilled to achieve higher densities. You dig?

That does not mean that DC is supposed to infill to LA metro levels. The only point was that DC is not facing some great land crisis where it's raise the height limits or bust. It's sooooooo far away from that that it's not even funny. Los Angeles, on the other hand, is facing a bit of a land crisis as that region truly has no land left to build on. They have no choice but to start going vertical because building on top of mountains ain't all that practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,422,648 times
a lot of you must be a bunch of urban
planners arguing with each other lol.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM

708 posts, read 1,207,229 times
DC needs to change the way it thinks about real estate -- either get smart, or get your pocketbooks out. There is no reason for DC to cost as much as it does, its just poor urban planning - tantamount to the attitude in the area. :-/

Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,947,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
a lot of you must be a bunch of urban
planners arguing with each other lol.
There's nothing wrong with caring about the community and wanting to be involved in some way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
DC needs to change the way it thinks about real estate -- either get smart, or get your pocketbooks out. There is no reason for DC to cost as much as it does, its just poor urban planning - tantamount to the attitude in the area. :-/
Agree. For those who are interested, the Gated City by Ryan Avett and The Rent is Too Damn High by Matthew Yglesias are good reads about the subject of land values in high cost cities and how zoning, NIMBY'ers(Not In My Backyard) and other policies such as height restrictions artificially drive up values.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,895,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Nice! So does that mean places like Dupont/Chinatown/Farragut/Midtown are rapidly filling up with yuppies, or do they count anything inside DC city limits as "downtown"?
Irregardless, those areas are becoming full of yuppies.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,895,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I guess people will start warming up to easing the height restrictions when rent and land values begin to soar past NYC stifling the growth the city has been seeing.
DC has 10,000 people per square mile. Paris which has height restrictions has 50,000 per square mile. Obviously more people can fit. Also a big portion of DC is single family homes that could be torn down to build more midrise condos. DC used to have 200,000 more people in it and they somehow managed.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,235,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who said anything about developing "to the level of LA?" You're clearly confused here. I juxtaposed screen shots of LA and DC Metro to show the comparative open space in both places. In L.A., there's so little land that infilling is near impossible without having to raze something. The region is almost fully built out. In contrast, the DC metro area has lots of little pockets that can be infilled to achieve higher densities. You dig?

That does not mean that DC is supposed to infill to LA metro levels. The only point was that DC is not facing some great land crisis where it's raise the height limits or bust. It's sooooooo far away from that that it's not even funny. Los Angeles, on the other hand, is facing a bit of a land crisis as that region truly has no land left to build on. They have no choice but to start going vertical because building on top of mountains ain't all that practical.
I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying. Sometimes it just takes a little bit more clarification for some people in order to avoid confusion.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 AM

32,160 posts, read 34,838,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying. Sometimes it just takes a little bit more clarification for some people in order to avoid confusion.
It was already clear. I think DCPS must be the culprit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I disagree. I mean, I know you guys like to think Maryland is super urban and all, but there's a lot of land to be developed. Los Angeles was low-density for much of its existence and they just infilled plot after plot of land in residential areas until its density eventually surpassed that of Washington, DC. So it's not like existing residential areas preclude infill development. Beverly Hills, Hollywood and Santa Monica were all pretty much streetcar suburbs with SFHs that saw larger residential buildings fill in the gaps. If LA can infill, then the DC suburbs most certainly can.
Nowhere in that post does it say DC can or should infill "to the extent of LA." If you see that anywhere in that post, then Cardozo, Woodson, Ballou, Eastern or one of those PG County high schools has truly failed you.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,422,648 times
suburban maryland can develop a lot more.
they had an article in the paper about it using
the areas by the metro stops more efficiently
to make them more walkable and everything.

Last edited by 11KAP; 06-07-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 PM

13,743 posts, read 15,819,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
suburban maryland can develop a lot more.
they had an article in the paper about it using
the areas by the metro stops more efficiently
to make them more walkable and everything.

D.C. get 0% tax from Maryland and Virginia. Development in those states just takes money from the District. In fact, government workers who live in Maryland and Virginia but work in D.C. don't even pay the District tax unlike the rest of the entire country that collects tax from employees who work in their jurisdiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC