Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 06:19 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Most Native Americans are not offended by the name.

National level
Annenberg did a big survey in 2004 and found 90% of Native Americans were not offended by the name. That was the last big poll I could find on the subject.
http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycent...s_09-24_pr.pdf

Local level
Tribal leaders in VA are not offended by the name. “It doesn’t bother me,” said Robert Green, 66 and chief of the Patawomeck Tribe in Virginia. “About 98 percent of my tribe is Redskins fans, and it doesn’t offend them, either.”
Woody: American Indians in Va. have no problem with
I don't even know if I can trust those polls, they don't seem like reliable sources. I have seen many polls throughout the past year that said the opposite of what you are saying. But like I said, just because people think it is right, doesn't make it right. Let's say that their was a football team called the ******s, and black people said it doesn't offend them, that doesn't make it okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
They're just too arrogant to change the name because no natives own the team.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,509 times
What I dont like is that people say Maryland has 2 football teams...ehhh NO!!!! Maryland has only ONE football team.. The WASHINGTON Redskins play in Landover, MD.

Yes.... Its that serious and anal....

Old 09-28-2013, 05:06 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times
I think every time someone makes a super shallow questions, they need to donate $50 to the local animal shelter.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
I dont give a crap how many Superbowls they win, itll be a cold day in hell before I root for the ravens

Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Hi all,

This is a random question, but as a transplant who does not come from a hometown with an NFL squad, I will need to adopt one of the DC squads when I (most likely) move to Arlington next year. I was wondering if it would be bad if I picked Baltimore instead of the Redskins. I absolutely hate the Redskins' franchise name (it's incredibly racist) + I have an unhealthy obsession with The Wire and Baltimore's defense-oriented philosophy (Ed Reed has been my favorite NFL player for a while, although he has moved on now), so that's why I'm thinking that I'll take up the Ravens and Nationals instead of the Skins and Nats. The Ravens stadium is only 20 mins further than the Redskins' from Arlington too, so I'm not sure if Ravens would be that much of a stretch, but I'm wondering if it would seem too bandwagoney, especially since the Ravens won last year and the Redskins are one of the worst teams in the league this year (although Baltimore definitely blew up their squad and are a wildcard team at best this year as well).
I've lived in Maryland my entire life. I even attended UMD in College Park. But I am also a life long Dallas Cowboys fan. My entire family are Cowboys fans and we still have friends who talk to us, just not after a Washington loss. I had an boss who grew up in DC but is a Raiders fan. That's the fun of sports.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM

46 posts, read 79,662 times
You will have no problems at all, regardless of where you go throughout the metro area. I regularly see Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Eagles, and Patriots fans flaunt their loyalty to their teams through jerseys, hats, t-shirts, car decals and flags, etc. It gets more pronounced and extreme on game day. I regularly go to bars on Sunday, alternating between DC, VA, and MD and never seen so many opposing fans in one area in my life. I recognize this a lot of this has to do with the transient population, but it can still be a bit of a shock. I haven't experienced anything like it NYC, Philly or Boston.

Someone/people may say something in jest or rude on game day, but that happens everywhere. Like anywhere else, your team is playing the hometown team, it would probably be wise to stay away from bars that are dominated by the opposing team.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times
I think it's more of a faux pas to root for the Wizards. I often see more Orioles and Ravens gear in DC area sports stores than Wiz stuff.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I don't even know if I can trust those polls, they don't seem like reliable sources. I have seen many polls throughout the past year that said the opposite of what you are saying. But like I said, just because people think it is right, doesn't make it right. Let's say that their was a football team called the ******s, and black people said it doesn't offend them, that doesn't make it okay.
Oh yeah, the Annenberg Foundation is a real shady source.

If you are offended, don't support the team. Don't buy their tickets. Don't watch their games on TV. But the small politically-correct minority that is "offended" should not impose their beliefs on the majority of Americans, bot Native and Non-Native, who are not offended by the name. I just as fervently believe that the Redskins name is a proud honor to American Indians.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:43 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
So there should be no offense if a team is called the Cleveland Coons, Walla Walla Wetbacks or the Chicago Chinks. No biggie, right? It's all about "tradition" and "honoring" other cultures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Oh yeah, the Annenberg Foundation is a real shady source.

If you are offended, don't support the team. Don't buy their tickets. Don't watch their games on TV. But the small politically-correct minority that is "offended" should not impose their beliefs on the majority of Americans, bot Native and Non-Native, who are not offended by the name. I just as fervently believe that the Redskins name is a proud honor to American Indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC