Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,515,415 times

Advertisements

So the USOC announced today that they would most likely bid for the 2024 Olympics after the IOC told them they should. So it seems pretty clear that the US will bid. So DC is going up against tough competition such at LA, SF, and Boston. But DC is still considered one of the top contenders. So say that DC does get the US bid, what chance does DC have of getting the Olympics? If DC does get the Olympics would you guys support it? As much as th thought of traffic makes me cringe, I think it would really force the federal government to heavily invest in DC. I could see the Union Station expansion happening sooner to support the extra traffic, I think streetcars would move a lot faster, the whole SW Eco district would probably be set in motion with a lot of projects happening before the Olympics, Metro would be forced to make major improvements. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,962,516 times
Part of this would be a nightmare, but at the same time it would mean the district has arrived as a premiere global city.
It would make the already rapid gentrification go into hyperdrive.
I am not even thinking about how this will impact those of us who actually work in the city.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,714,087 times
Olympics here would be a terrible idea. Many Americans already hate DC because they think it's just a big tax suck so they wouldn't be enthused about more money pouring in here for one event.

It's already a popular city to move to, already has broad recognition (unlike, say, Salt Lake) and it would just be a lot of expense and mess for little payoff. Imagine the disfunctional Metro trying to handle all that for 2 weeks.

There would also no doubt be nothing but monuments, WH, and the Capitol in every image. It's not like the real DC would get any recognition. Did we see much of London beyond the landmarks?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Olympics here would be a terrible idea. Many Americans already hate DC because they think it's just a big tax suck so they wouldn't be enthused about more money pouring in here for one event.

It's already a popular city to move to, already has broad recognition (unlike, say, Salt Lake) and it would just be a lot of expense and mess for little payoff. Imagine the disfunctional Metro trying to handle all that for 2 weeks.

There would also no doubt be nothing but monuments, WH, and the Capitol in every image. It's not like the real DC would get any recognition. Did we see much of London beyond the landmarks?
I think that DC does need some recognition. So many people still see DC as a crime filled ghetto, the Olympics would completely change that image. Yes, i did see a lot of the real London during the Olympics. Obviously they are going to show attractions, because that is what people want to see. But NBC did show a few "real" parts of London

Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I think that DC does need some recognition. So many people still see DC as a crime filled ghetto, the Olympics would completely change that image. Yes, i did see a lot of the real London during the Olympics. Obviously they are going to show attractions, because that is what people want to see. But NBC did show a few "real" parts of London
That reputation is already rapidly changing. It might speed it up but I don't see how the cost/benefit is there for all the billions in expense and infrastructure we'll never use again.

Nearly every city loses money on the Olympics.
Anyway, who cares what outdated ideas people have? It may be the only thing keeping this city a little less expenaive.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
That reputation is already rapidly changing. It might speed it up but I don't see how the cost/benefit is there for all the billions in expense and infrastructure we'll never use again.

Nearly every city loses money on the Olympics.
Anyway, who cares what outdated ideas people have? It may be the only thing keeping this city a little less expenaive.
My thought as well. DC is already gaining a great deal without the debacle of the olympics.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:14 PM

458 posts, read 645,386 times
Take a good look at this list
List of Olympic Games host cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you're smart enough or have a bit of common sense, you can detect a certain pattern here.

For Summer games the selected city has to be a tourist hot spot for multiple years and large enough to accommodate many travelers. DC will NEVER be on this list because the city was never designed for large scale events. Solving this puzzle is practically a no-brainer.

For Winter games there must be winter resorts already built on location and the city must be large enough to accommodate many travelers as well.
There are no winter resorts in DC to begin with, so you can completely forget about the Winter Games arriving here in the future.

Oh and one last thing:
The airport has to be in the same city as the Olympics games being held.
Flying into Virginia to go to the Olympics in DC doesn't mesh well with the Olympics committee.

Last edited by DrSloan; 02-08-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
If you're smart enough or have a bit of common sense, you can detect a certain pattern here.

For Summer games the selected city has to be a tourist hot spot for multiple years and large enough to accommodate many travelers. DC will NEVER be on this list because the city was never designed for large scale events. Solving this puzzle is practically a no-brainer.

For Winter games there must be winter resorts already built on location and the city must be large enough to accommodate many travelers as well.
There are no winter resorts in DC to begin ith, so you can completely forget about the Winter Games arriving here in the future.

Oh and one last thing:
Flying into Virginia to go to the Olympics in DC doesn't mesh well with the Olympics committee.
DC already gets 20 million visitors a year. It handles large, security-intensive events on a regular basis. Obama's inauguration alone had over 2 million people in one day. Big events is sorta what this city does, probably more than any other.

Also, I'm pretty sure DCA sitting right across the river is close enough, particularly when the central city is relatively small and that land used to be part of it. Having 3 airports linked to mass transit is a huge advantage.

There are reasons not to bring the Olympics here, but these are not among them. DC was competitive last time they bid.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post

There are no winter resorts in DC to begin with, so you can completely forget about the Winter Games arriving here in the future.

Oh and one last thing:
The Olympics usually doesn't bring more than 2 million people to the host city, which is about the same amount that came for Obamas inauguration, so to say DC can't handle it is kind of ridiculous. The airport doesn't HAVE to be in the same city, it just is an added bonus, the airport does need to be connected to the city in some way though (silver line)

Old 02-08-2014, 06:17 PM

We are also already a major tourist destination, Atlanta never really was in comparison to DC. Yet they still held the games. Tourism is a big part of what we do and the region has the hotels to support it, in fact it could use more hotels.
I still think it is a bad idea, but ones idea of DC seriously needs to be adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC