Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 05:43 PM

44 posts, read 51,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Let Metro riders pay their share of that.
Why?
Metro riders pay taxes too and it goes towards the roads, and probably vice versa. Sure metro fares could be raised too, but if metro could become like what's on that fantasy map than then the ENTIRE region would only benefit. Traffic congestion would be cut by half, or more.

Also certain roads like Rt. 5/301, Rt. 210, Rt. 29 (Columbia Pike), and the B-W parkway can be turned into interstate expressways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times
25 years? This is like the Boston tunnel project, huh?

Before 25 years, I hope I'm retired, traveling the world. And I hope I make enough money that my kids don't have to live in DC.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 202DCtoNYC718 View Post
Why?
Metro riders pay taxes too and it goes towards the roads, and probably vice versa. Sure metro fares could be raised too, but if metro could become like what's on that fantasy map than then the ENTIRE region would only benefit. Traffic congestion would be cut by half, or more.

Also certain roads like Rt. 5/301, Rt. 210, Rt. 29 (Columbia Pike), and the B-W parkway can be turned into interstate expressways.
Why? Because it's not fair. People want users to pay for roads (tolls), but not for public transit (get someone else to pay for it).

Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Why? Because it's not fair. People want users to pay for roads (tolls), but not for public transit (get someone else to pay for it).
People already pay for public transit though. Driving a big piece of metal shouldn't be free.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
It is fair! People who don't have cars pay taxes that go to stupid highway projects all the time.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It is fair! People who don't have cars pay taxes that go to stupid highway projects all the time.
Thank you.
If people don't want to cough up the dough they can either take metro or stay in the suburbs.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Thank you.
If people don't want to cough up the dough they can either take metro or stay in the suburbs.
That's basically an infringement on the freedom of movement though...

Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
I don't like car-haters, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
That's basically an infringement on the freedom of movement though...
New York City does it, why not DC? (I know its an apples to oranges comparison, but go along with it).

There is practically no way in hell can get across the Hudson river without paying a toll or taking the bus or train.

If you own a car and drive it you can afford to pay a toll. A toll of $1.50 one way should be a good or a monthly pass of $30.00 of unlimited entry/exit of DC.
Ultimately this willl encourage people in the suburbs to take metro. I know PG county's transit can suck but people can still drive to a metro station and get on the train.
The problem is that TOO MANY PEOPLE think they are "too good" to take metro which is BS because I bet the majority of the white people in suits on the red and orange lines make
a lot more money than those bourgie black people that reside in Woodmore, Bowie, Kettering, Brandywine, Friendly, Ft. Washington, etc, etc and no I'm stereotyping it's the truth, my in laws live in those areas.

Last edited by 202DCtoNYC718; 06-13-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 12:10 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
New York City does it, why not DC? (I know its an apples to oranges comparison, but go along with it).

There is practically no way in hell can get across the Hudson river without paying a toll or taking the bus or train.

If you own a car and drive it you can afford to pay a toll. A toll of $1.50 one way should be a good or a monthly pass of $30.00 of unlimited entry/exit of DC.
Ultimately this willl encourage people in the suburbs to take metro. I know PG county's transit can suck but people can still drive to a metro station and get on the train.
The problem is that TOO MANY PEOPLE think they are "too good" to take metro which is BS because I bet the majority of the white people in suits on the red and orange lines make
a lot more money than those bourgie black people that reside in Woodmore, Bowie, Kettering, Brandywine, Friendly, Ft. Washington, etc, etc and no I'm stereotyping it's the truth, my in laws live in those areas.
Other than my fellow college students, you'll find bourgie black people commuting on Metro if they work in DC. I used to see them mixed in with college students and working class black people arriving to and from Branch Avenue when me and my mother used to drop off and picked my stepbrother up from there. I live in Brandywine with the fam myself. But I'll admit, we love our cars in my neck of the woods lol I always do get excited when I use Metro to hangout in the City or to go see an event though. I love public transit. I also utilized the Metrobus coming home during my 9th grade year at Central High when I was living in Walker Mill.

Perhaps tolls can help alleviate congestion, which is getting worse as the entire DMV becomes more heavily populated and developed, but let's not discount the other alternatives such as implementing HOV lanes on certain freeways that desperately need them, dedicated BRT infrastructure to and from DC and within the surrounding counties, the upcoming Purple Line, etc.

I will admit though, the amount of money generated from the tolls can help with the funding of some aforementioned projects if DC is willing to have Maryland and Virginia have a piece of that cash cow pie. It could put further pressure on Metro to expand since ridership will most likely increase exponentially if this happens. It's gonna take more than just the Silver Line to deal with all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC