Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the Baltimore forum and plan to travel from BWI, but I'm sure many people that use Amtrak a lot through BWI originate in DC.

Any regular Amtrak users here?

Looking to take Amtrak to NYC for a weekend in September. Kids want to take the train, we always just drive up to NYC (few times a year), but I wanted to actually take the train for once. I know Acela cost more, but I wouldn't mind paying extra for one way to be Acela just to experience it once. I know it's not that much faster, but would still like to give it a try.

What is the difference between NE Regional and Vermonter? Is there any?

Any other thoughts or helpful info to make the trip as enjoyable as possible? We plan to park at BWI garage and go up on Sat morning and come back late Sun night.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 06:02 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
I usually take the regional. It's not that slower than Acela and a lot less expensive.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:44 AM

76 posts, read 180,741 times
If you have the money and you like trains, the Acela is probably a justifiable splurge once just to try it. The railcars themselves are quite different from the other Amtrak cars. In coach (well, "business" is the lowest class in Acela), the experience is different, but comparable. The cars feel newer and sleeker. The seats are a different design. I personally don't feel that one is better than the other, but some people have preferences.

I've taken the Vermonter several times, and I haven't noticed any differences at all in coach compared to the Regional. If you're super into trains, you might be able to find some esoteric detail, but it's nothing that 99% of the population would notice.

I know that in business class, there can be some variation between the Vermonter and the Regional, or even between certain Regionals. Some trains have a full car for business (usually just a coach car with fewer riders), while some have a special, nicer business section taking up half of the cafe car.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
There is a difference in regional trains that you'll want to take note of if you're travelling as a family. You only want the NE Corridor 1 trains, which originate in NYC and Washington respectively. If you don't get one of these trains, it's just going to be that much harder to find seats together. Get on one of the trains below and you'll have a better shot getting seats together.

Edit: Disregard previous link. Schedule inclusive of all lines.
Going up, just avoid the 194 and the 66.
Coming back (assuming Sunday afternoon) grab the 157 (12:00), 87 (3:00), 2221 (4:00 Acella), 159 (5:00), 2225 (6:00 Acella) or 123 (9:00) for the best chance at seats.

If you catch the 194 or 66 from BWI to NY, for example, your train has originated in Norfolk, so seats are already limited from the stops in VA. Similarly, coming down from NYC, you'll want to avoid the Vermonter, NEC2/3 trains, because they originate in St. Albans and Boston respectively.

The Acella may be worth the experience once. The only thing I'd add that hasn't already been said, is that I find the seats in the regional trains to be much more comfortable, despite a little more wear and tear.

Last edited by KStreetQB; 08-08-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 03:51 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Thanks for all the info!

Wow KStreetQB, you must be a frequent user.

I went ahead and booked a trip before seeing this, so I hope it works out.

Friday: train 188 NE out of BWI at 7:37 PM
Sunday: train 2259 acella leaving NYC at 8:00 PM

It's not a huge deal if we can't find four seats together, although it would be nice to find at least two sets of pairs. My kids are in their teens.

Thanks again feel free to post anything else you can think of.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:40 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
The two main services from DC to NYC are NE Regional and Acela Express, the Vermonter is an alternative which follows a similar route as NE Regional. The service you select really depends on the following two factors; how much you are willing to pay and how quickly you would like to arrive to your destination. Here is a brief description of each:

NE Regional is the more economical option and travels at a more leisurely pace making stops at multiple cities both big and small on your way to NYC. The trains are standard Amtrak trains with an express cafe car and standard coach seats, they are slightly larger and more comfortable than airline seats (imo). If travel time is not an issue for you and you dont mind spending a couple of hours on the train then this is the most afforadable option.

Acela Express is a high speed train and is Amtrak's premium service, the train travels at the fastest possible pace and only makes a few stops at major cities only, it bypasses all smaller cities. The trains are newer than standard Amtrak trains and offer more amenities. The only classes available on Acela trains are Business Class and First Class since the entire train is considered a premium service, hence prices are normally more expensive. If arriving quickly is your priority along with the most comfortable travel experience, Acela would be a good option. Even though prices can be expensive they are normally comparable to airfare from DC airports to NYC and is a great alternative to flying.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 AM

The time difference is 30-45 minutes the price difference is $70-125.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:38 PM

25 posts, read 59,542 times
I noticed that majority of the trips don't allow checked baggage. Are there other train alternatives if you need to check a bag?

Old 08-11-2014, 05:07 AM

Why would you check a bag? There is plenty of room on the train.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM

25 posts, read 59,542 times
Is there room for 2 suitcases? Sorry, never been on these particular trains before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC