Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:17 PM
CNI CNI started this thread

194 posts, read 579,184 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how D.C. area (D.C., NoVA, and Md. near D.C.) residents feel about downstate VA residents (Richmond, Hampton Roads, etc.) claiming D.C. as a VA city.
This all stems from a post - "Showcase City" - I created in the VA forum back in October.
I was arguing that VA needed its own showcase city...or city that VA could hold up as its urban, progressive, forward-thinking attraction for residents and people looking to relocate to an area of that caliber.
Many responded that D.C./NoVA was already VA's showcase city.
I disagreed because I feel that VA can no more claim D.C. as its own than Md can.
Also, Md. still cultivates Baltimore as a showcase city...even though it is closer to D.C. than Richmond or Hampton Roads are.
I would like the opinions of D.C. residents in particular. Thanks.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:26 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,612,924 times
Virginia has Richmond. DC is it's own entity. Besides, the land for DC was cut from Maryland soil, not Virginia.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:09 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,175,405 times
LiKE it or not, DC is the showcase city for VA and MD. That's not a slight against Baltimore or Richmond but DC is an international city. Personally, I don't mind it all. I know a lot of people from VA & Maryland that consider themselves Washingtonians. PG and Montgomery Counties and small portions of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties identify with DC more than Baltimore. The same can be said for NOVA and some parts of VA.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:56 AM

DC's Finest, I have no problem w/ D.C. In many regards, I think it is a GREAT city and I don't know where VA would be without it and the benefits it affords NoVA (benefits which positively affect the entire state).
However, I do think that VA needs to cultivate its own major city. This would be for the benefit of the entire Mid-Atlantic region.
This city would not be meant to detract from D.C. or Baltimore but to enhance the entire area.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,075,948 times
VA claiming DC would be like Little Abner claiming Carnegie Hall. Give me a break.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM

13,666 posts, read 20,807,345 times
If anything, it means DC is getting better and thus boastworthy. When I was younger, it was not unusual for Virginia politicians (Stan Parish) to make commercials denigrating DC as the cause for all of Virginia's problems (yea sure).

So if now they are embracing DC, well then all the better. Of course it depends on where in Virginia. NOVA is one thing, but I doubt people in Roanoke think of DC much at all.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
VA claiming DC would be like Little Abner claiming Carnegie Hall. Give me a break.
Apologies but...I do not get this. Maybe it is a generation gap or cultural differences but the example you used made it difficult for me to understand the point you are trying to make.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:10 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,075,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
Apologies but...I do not get this. Maybe it is a generation gap or cultural differences but the example you used made it difficult for me to understand the point you are trying to make.
More likely a geographic impairment.

QED

Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM

22 posts, read 68,267 times
Default an opinion from a washingtonian

Okay, so I am from a long line of native Washingtonians. It wasn't until I left the DC area (temporarily) that I kept hearing people refer to DC as northern VA, or being in MD, or MD being part of DC. To that I say, "what?" just because DC isn't a state doesn't mean we want everybody jumping on to our bandwagon, wanting to be DC. Of course no one claims DC when it comes to all the stuff you here about in the local news (school system, crime, etc). But talk about the richness in cultural diversity, entertainment, etc. that's when adjoining states want to "claim" us. It is all so trendy now for non natives to buy condos and townhouses and try to incorporate DC into NOVA. I wouldn't be surprised if these new residents pushed for annexing NoVA to DC and creating a new state. And another thing, DC isn't connected at all to PG county (except that a lot of DC residents have systematically been lured and relocated there (that's another story). Let VA (yes, that includes northern VA) and Maryland get their own anchor city.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,895,903 times
Default People in Roanoke think of DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
If anything, it means DC is getting better and thus boastworthy. When I was younger, it was not unusual for Virginia politicians (Stan Parish) to make commercials denigrating DC as the cause for all of Virginia's problems (yea sure).

So if now they are embracing DC, well then all the better. Of course it depends on where in Virginia. NOVA is one thing, but I doubt people in Roanoke think of DC much at all.
People in Roanoke are a lot more familiar with DC that one may think. The Washington Redskins still claim to be our team, not the Carolina Panthers and Dulles International Airport is the airport of choice for many traveling from this area. I visit there often and I think it is a wonderful place. You must not forget the big influence Virginia Tech has on this state with tons of students from NoVa coming here and the economic engine of the university, mostly benefitting the NoVa area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: