Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Inside the beltway is far more Dense, and DC especially is far more dense, while Atlanta itself is sprawl, DC is and most of the inner beltway is dense and urban. Look at the walk scores for the respective cities. There is a massive difference. DC = dense, urban, walkable, transit friendly. Atlanta = none of those things. DC sprawls in the suburbs, but every city does. DC is far more dense and urban though, as are many of it's inner ring burbs.

I lived in DC. Yes DC is urban but Metro DC is just as sprawled at Houston stretching out past Dullies, north to Laurel, to Bowie and south pass Quantico.

There are more things to look at than being urban when choosing to move to DC and possibility starting a business. Lets look at the real issues in DC such as paying 5 cents per grocery bag, having the highest HIV rate in the country, 40% increase in murders this year, traffic cameras on damn near every street, boring nightlife, high COL, higher taxes, paying extra to ride METRO during peak hours, work work work mentality, people asking "What do you do?" before they ask you your name, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I lived in DC. Yes DC is urban but Metro DC is just as sprawled at Houston stretching out past Dullies, north to Laurel, to Bowie and south pass Quantico.

There are more things to look at than being urban when choosing to move to DC and possibility starting a business. Lets look at the real issues in DC such as paying 5 cents per grocery bag, having the highest HIV rate in the country, 40% increase in murders this year, traffic cameras on damn near every street, boring nightlife, high COL, higher taxes, paying extra to ride METRO during peak hours, work work work mentality, people asking "What do you do?" before they ask you your name, etc.
Best post of the year.

The difference between our sprawl and Atlanta/Houston? We have 151 train stations. Atlanta has 38.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:04 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Best post of the year.

The difference between our sprawl and Atlanta/Houston? We have 151 train stations. Atlanta has 38.

You should since it's paid for by DC, VA, MD and my tax dollars!

The difference between our sprawl and DC? We have 150k homes. In DC that home is 300k.
The difference between our women? Here she might give you herpes. In DC she gonna give you HIV

Old 09-16-2015, 02:48 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I want to know, is DC a place for business folks or just for non-profit types and those that are into politics as a career?

I'm hard core business and want to network with other business owners and at the very least, advisers to business owners( CPA's, consultants,etc....)

I do like a great nightlife. I generally like a nice supper club, high-end lounge, jazz-clubs,etc....I also like to go to clubs that cater to blacks of my demographic. I grew up listening to 80's-90's R&B music and would like to visit clubs that accommodate my demographic.
Quote:

There are more things to look at than being urban when choosing to move to DC and possibility starting a business.
Afdinati makes a great point so let me expand because I am in pretty much in the same boat for different line of businesses. But for you OP, it all DEPENDS on your business and how it pairs with the texture of DC.

I am 9-5 by day, volunteer once a month, and dabble in a lot of different private businesses such as nightclub consultation and personal training because of my sheer hustle. When I first came here, I had that extreme drive. While my interests closely aligned with the businesses of the area, I soon came to realize that the texture of the city did not attract and cultivate the type of people that had my same drive. I was met with a sense of complacency, people not really wanting to openly network (business related), was a bit put off by my energy, and I also found myself teaching more than I had to and doing all the work. It is simply, even today, a case of people showing up but not really taking that extra mile. Not to mention, many of the venues host a lot of charity events, which gives you a sense of the texture I had to deal with. Many weekend warriors when it comes to my specific self business interests because most people have a good paying day job here. Nobody is starving so there is no real need to suffer. They all have degrees so therefore there is no struggle. A side business is really a side business. As you know, you need to feed off of other consultants in your niche, not just you being the sole consultant.

But it isn't to say that your efforts will not prosper. Like I said, it depends on your business. BUT, keep in mind that once you have finally adapted to the area, you will then start to branch out. You will not be on that hustle 24/7 but what will make or break you is when you now start to reach for things that socially and culturally align with your interests. Unfortunately, many, if not most, don't realize this until AFTER THEY HAVE MOVED HERE. So I suggest, since you are not limited by a 9-5, to come and visit for a 2 week period. Join meet up groups within your specific business interests while also exploring the local area to see if it pairs with your personality. Remember, just because you can do business in city, doesn't' mean you will be socially happy. You need to find that HAPPY MEDIUM.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
You should since it's paid for by DC, VA, MD and my tax dollars!

The difference between our sprawl and DC? We have 150k homes. In DC that home is 300k.
The difference between our women? Here she might give you herpes. In DC she gonna give you HIV
Yes, it's a fact that EVERY SINGLE woman in DC has HIV

Eye know some bamma from Atlanta isn't on here running his little mouth about STD's in another city when he needs to look out in his own backyard.

Atlanta Herpes facts. - High herpes rate found in metro Atlanta

Atlanta the No. 1 city for new HIV/AIDS cases | Atlanta Daily World

Black Women Infected With HIV in Atlanta is Comparable to Africa's Epidemic

Atlanta Daily World: Atlanta is No. 1 US city with new HIV cases | Atlanta Sun Times

Metro Atlanta at the center of a burgeoning HIV crisis | Georgia Health News

Looks like it was a major subject on ATL's C-D forum too:

Why does Atlanta (and Georgia) have such a high HIV rate?

Better make sure your own house is in order before critiquing others. ATL's nightlife can only be so much fun until you catch the disease and get burned like Big L warned.......Btw, if you love the A so much, then there's not much reason for you to be lurking on the DC forum isn't it?

Damn, HOTLANTA BE BALLIN SHAAWWWWTY!!!!!!!!

Oh, and HIV or not, I'd still prefer DC any day of the week to ATL. Not only because Eye was born and raised near it but because it's more my kind of city. Hell, I'd be more at home up in Philly than ATL to be honest. Now THAT is an awesome city!

Last edited by tcave360; 09-17-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-17-2015, 11:16 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Inside the beltway is far more Dense, and DC especially is far more dense, while Atlanta itself is sprawl, DC is and most of the inner beltway is dense and urban. Look at the walk scores for the respective cities. There is a massive difference. DC = dense, urban, walkable, transit friendly. Atlanta = none of those things. DC sprawls in the suburbs, but every city does. DC is far more dense and urban though, as are many of it's inner ring burbs.
Exactly.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:05 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,629,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Stats:

41y/o
Single
Male-Black
Child free( not going to have any)
Urban-very

Here goes.....
I know DC has a good public transport system and that's a plus for me.

I want to know, is DC a place for business folks or just for non-profit types and those that are into politics as a career?

I'm hard core business and want to network with other business owners and at the very least, advisers to business owners( CPA's, consultants,etc....)

I do like a great nightlife. I generally like a nice supper club, high-end lounge, jazz-clubs,etc....I also like to go to clubs that cater to blacks of my demographic. I grew up listening to 80's-90's R&B music and would like to visit clubs that accommodate my demographic.

I date women of any race be it blue collar, pink or white.

My choice is between Atlanta and DC. I already know about Atlanta as a result of many visits.

Thanks
Plenty of business folks (I'm one of them). I think you'll do just fine here and NOVA is also filled with plenty of business people as well.

The nightlife is meh. I'm past the whole nightlife scene myself but there are enough bars and clubs to keep you fairly busy. Plus, Baltimore is only about 35 miles away for even more venues.

I used to live in ATL but prefer DC by bar. Walkable, more activities going on, and more of an urban feel.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:33 PM

741 posts, read 2,781,092 times
I am not a person who matches your background/demo, but based on your demographics I think you would fit in DC very easily.

Things here are a little different, but you'd probably pick up on that right away.

Not a big jazz fan, music fan YES! but some clubs that I have been to that could fit that bill for you easily would be:

Bohemian Caverns
14th Street used to be home to HR-57... really great vibe there, but I think they have sort of moved and shut down relocated? I am not certain, some googling shows the non profit on H St NE... great neighborhood by the way!
Blues Alley. Not my fav spot but routinely has jazz shows. also the other places mentioned by DistrictSonic are a good bet probably as well.

I would say by far DC has a better transportation infrastructure than Atlanta, however metro is very sporadic these days, but you do have better options than other cities.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times
Thanks for all of the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC