Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:19 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times

Advertisements

Jobs not cities build your resume. If you get a good job, move for it. Don't move to a city like DC expecting for the aura to rub off on you. You'll go home broke and broken. Read the posts on here of all the bitter people who moved to DC and couldn't cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:36 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Jobs not cities build your resume. If you get a good job, move for it. Don't move to a city like DC expecting for the aura to rub off on you. You'll go home broke and broken. Read the posts on here of all the bitter people who moved to DC and couldn't cut it.
That's the cold harsh reality. DC breaks many people.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:51 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
True, but not always.
OK. Name one that's not, that isn't on some public access.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:58 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,754,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfPlaceInDC View Post
DS clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. I've worked with people getting paid well over 100K that didn't even have an associates in the cleared IT world. The only time education will begin to play a significant factor is if you're moving into some sort of management role.
Finally, someone who's seen what I've seen.

By the way, I have a first tier education.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:45 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,853 times
Now is a good time to be a software engineer in India, Russia and China too. And hey, their labor costs are a fraction of what a B.S. degree American engineer would earn on a yearly basis. It's no wonder universities are having a tough time building enrollment in computer science programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisNameTaken View Post
Now is a good time to be a software engineer if you have a Bachelors degree. None of my friends have had any trouble finding work. I think that if you're smart about where you choose to go to school (read: think cheap) and what you do after college, you will have no problem paying off the debt.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:17 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Op, just be aware of the virtual barriers aka thread buffers. DC is the place to be if you have what it takes to succeed. Degree or not, if you have experience in what DC has to offer, you can certainly make it. Most people with degrees in DC, to include some posters here are some of the coldest, heartless, and unsociable beings- but with nothing to show for their "success". Only if they applied some that college education to their personalities, it would be a much better place outside of work.

DC is just like any other culture where the area is stamped and claimed by the breads. It's the reality- look at any field from wall street, law enforcement, family owned businesses, sanitation in NY/NJ, etc. It's a hand me down economy and DC is no different- why "networking"is so appealing. I over hear tons of top federal managers begging their friends to come on board and they will create titles and pay them what they want. It's just like TV.

You will often hear or read others telling the newcombers not come here if you don't have this, that, and a third. That is a "K" block by the classists, racists, and barrier chumps. Same thing happened to Donald Trump when he was told not to go into Manhattan but blew them all out. My father had to move to Miami to build his business instead of New York because he was able to move around better in Miami than he would in NY with the chinese, russians, italians, and others claiming territories. But if he had the drive and wanted to, he could have done it. He just wanted to leave NY.

Don't listen to anyone that gives you the degree speech- I AM PERSONALLY telling you to ESPECIALLY avoid those that give you long drawn out degree speeches. They ain't got no hustle beyond their degree. They are in DC with no car, no aspiration, no kids, no nothing- just a paper degree and a good salary. They are the most worthless pieces of chite you can ever imagine and I tell them all the time after I cut their checks.

Do your thing son! Never let anyone tell you NO!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM

26 posts, read 24,527 times
How does someone go about finding entry level positions in DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC