Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Let's just be real, our society thinks childless people are losers. We are not biologically successful and propagating the species. I waited until I was more financially ready and until I got married(no prospects). I have to face facts that I am a loser, it is what it is.

BTW, married people are better off economically than singles. Married men make more money and have more than single men. Same with women. How many single men or women have become president or run companies or are the wealthiest people so it's rubbish that singles make more and have more. People like to promote people like themselves. Not a single, childless person!! If your single and can't see that then your not observant which is why laws are so marriage oriented!!
Pure crap.

Society thinks people without kids are losers the same way "society" thinks people who don't shop at certain stores, wear certain clothes or have a large enough TV are "losers". You are talking about an ignorant, primitive segment of society that is made up mostly of simpletons who watch reality TV five hours a day.

Regarding the financial issue... correlation does not equal causation. Just because married individuals might GENERALLY make more money than singles.. that does not imply that being married is the cause of the extra income OR that being single is the cause of a lower income.

Try again.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Pure crap.

Society thinks people without kids are losers the same way "society" thinks people who don't shop at certain stores, wear certain clothes or have a large enough TV are "losers". You are talking about an ignorant, primitive segment of society that is made up mostly of simpletons who watch reality TV five hours a day.

Regarding the financial issue... correlation does not equal causation. Just because married individuals might GENERALLY make more money than singles.. that does not imply that being married is the cause of the extra income OR that being single is the cause of a lower income.

Try again.
Exactly.

Also I should note it is being single WITH children which is usually at the root cause of lower income. Education is a big determining factor of that, people who have children while single tend to be less educated and often disrupt their careers during a critical phase. It's not the single factor, it's the kids. Being married does not equal a higher income, it is having kids when one should not be having kids which results in a lower income. The reason why many married couples have higher incomes is because they are bringing in two incomes, and because they are often older. That's about it. But single parent households with children are usually much worse off. But this is because of negative behavioral patterns in poorer communities (regardless of race).

Old 02-19-2016, 05:12 AM

417 posts, read 594,685 times
Why married people tend to be wealthier: It's complicated - TODAY.com

For Love or Money: Why Married Men Make More

https://www.stlouisfed.org/Publicati...-Men-Make-More

Why Do Married Men Earn More?

Why Do Married Couples Have More Money?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/en5 Ways Love and Marriage Can Make You Wealthier - Forbestry/why-do-married-couples-ha_b_42562.html

Forbes Welcome

Old 02-19-2016, 05:16 AM

417 posts, read 594,685 times
It isn't me that is perpetuating these stereotypes. It is ingrained in us. Since singles can't see they are being discriminated against what hope is there for equality.

When you are young you don't notice it as much but as you get older if you are still single it becomes apparent that the deck is stacked against singles especially older single women.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Since singles can't see they are being discriminated against what hope is there for equality.

Name three distinct areas where you are being "discriminated" against purely for being a single person.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:06 PM

850 posts, read 1,132,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Pure crap.

Try again.
LOL,

You sound pretty stupid in your last statement. Of course it's not a 1:1 relationship, it's called statistics. Generally speaking (statistically) married people make more than unmarried. There are several reasons for this. But other than the dual income...

1. Others have a general sense of trust with the married (esp those with children)
2. Lower car insurance rates (see num 1)
3. Lower tax bracket
4. Lower crime rate (FBI criminal profiler etc...)
5. Family units are generally bound and stick together, work together and help each other, meaning if something catastrophic happens the family supports each other for the best interest for the family (i.e. unemployment, illness etc...)
6. SS payments are only eligible for married surviving spouses.

I'm just pulling these from my ass....

None of 1-6 applies to a single person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Exactly.

Also I should note it is being single WITH children which is usually at the root cause of lower income. Education is a big determining factor of that, people who have children while single tend to be less educated and often disrupt their careers during a critical phase. It's not the single factor, it's the kids. Being married does not equal a higher income, it is having kids when one should not be having kids which results in a lower income. The reason why many married couples have higher incomes is because they are bringing in two incomes, and because they are often older. That's about it. But single parent households with children are usually much worse off. But this is because of negative behavioral patterns in poorer communities (regardless of race).
LOL,

Of course we are not referring to the single female headed household situations that happen in major metropolitan cities. That is a whole other issue on itself. These are irresponsible people who w/o planning decide to get preg and have no plans on their future/themselves etc....

Situations where the partner leaves a woman pregnant etc... was never my intent of this thread.

But to make you feel like you are correct; YES, in that CONTEXT, you are right....

Quote:

For Love or Money: Why Married Men Make More

https://www.stlouisfed.org/Publicati...-Men-Make-More

Why Do Married Couples Have More Money?

http://m.huffpost.com/us/en5 Ways Love and Marriage Can Make You Wealthier - Forbestry/why-do-married-couples-ha_b_42562.html

Forbes Welcome
I can tell you the article there regrading the "employer discrimination" happens a lot. When managers and bosses see that you are married they think stable/trustworthy.

They are more likely to hire you. My boss has kids/wife, most managers I've worked with that have interviewed me have kids/spouse. You generally have more power during salary negotiations etc....

Last edited by Yac; 02-22-2016 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 02-19-2016, 02:38 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Steppinthrax, what are you trying to accomplish here? Prove to everyone that they should be like you and have kids? You won't succeed. Some people just want different things out of life than you. Why do you care whether or not I or anybody else has a kid or gets married? Enjoy your family and live and let live.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:00 PM

814 posts, read 911,629 times
The reason why is because people are now slaves to their job and everything is about career, what degree do you have, who di you work for, yadda yadda. People today are simply wussified servants to the man.

Now I have known the joy of both children and grandchildren and watching them grow, having fun at Christmas cause you actually have a reason to buy gifts, taking them to their baseball game, throwing the ball around, Thanksgiving where friends and families gather with kids and sometimes even friends of your kids.

One day your career will come to an end, look how many lost their way of providing during the recent recession and ironically enough it was the white-collar folks hit hardest, the plumbers and truck drivers still went to work.

Its about family values, loving someone more then you love yourself, in todays world everything that was traditional went out the window for more money and power. We stopped believing in god and we stopped believing in family.

Last edited by STEVEN 1; 02-19-2016 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
LOL,

You sound pretty stupid in your last statement. Of course it's not a 1:1 relationship, it's called statistics. Generally speaking (statistically) married people make more than unmarried. There are several reasons for this. But other than the dual income...

1. Others have a general sense of trust with the married (esp those with children)
2. Lower car insurance rates (see num 1)
3. Lower tax bracket
4. Lower crime rate (FBI criminal profiler etc...)
5. Family units are generally bound and stick together, work together and help each other, meaning if something catastrophic happens the family supports each other for the best interest for the family (i.e. unemployment, illness etc...)
6. SS payments are only eligible for married surviving spouses.

I'm just pulling these from my ass....

None of 1-6 applies to a single person.
You do realize that single people without spouses get SS payments right? That the survivorship benefit is the only thing dealing with marriage. Or are you just that dumb? Everybody who pays into SS can take out of SS.

In terms of lower insurance rates, that's absolute BS. Women have lower car insurance rates in general. The only people whose insurance rates might go down is the male.

The lower crime rate thing is completely disconnected from marriage and has everything to do with educational attainment. Correlation in this case does not equal causation. Better educated people are more likely to get married.

Lower tax bracket, not really, I think you are completely unfamiliar with what is known as the marriage penalty when both spouse work.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 02-19-2016 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
The reason why is because people are now slaves to their job and everything is about career, what degree do you have, who di you work for, yadda yadda. People today are simply wussified servants to the man.

Now I have known the joy of both children and grandchildren and watching them grow, having fun at Christmas cause you actually have a reason to buy gifts, taking them to their baseball game, throwing the ball around, Thanksgiving where friends and families father with kids and sometimes even friends of your kids.

One day your career will come to an end, look how many lost their way of providing during the recent recession and ironically enough it was the white-collar folks hit hardest, the plumbers and truck drivers still went to work.

Its about family values, loving someone more then you love yourself, in todays world everything that was traditional went out the window for more money and power. We stopped believing in god and we stopped believing in family.
Either you get educated, get a career, and live an upper or upper middle class lifestyle, or you die a worthless peasant. Yeah...I consider most people worthless peasants. Like it or not, those of us who have careers are the ones who actually contribute to society.

Actually with the last recession white collar people with educations were NOT hit the hardest. I really think you don't understand the data that is out there. We barely got dinged, our unemployment rate stayed below 6%, and quickly fell to 2.5%. Our income barely dropped. Do you know who got hit hard, those without a bachelors degree or higher. 10%+ unemployment for a period there, even worse in some places. So please spare me the white collar professionals got hit the hardest. We barely got hit at all. It's the non-professionals that got hit the hardest.

I ended up far better off as a result of the recession. So spare me...

Sticking to tradition means nothing. You either get educated, get a good career, and don't have kids you cannot afford, or you die a peasant. Instead we have idiots who think they are exceptions. Also people like you who think those of us in the professional class got slammed, when we barely got touched by the GR while everybody else backslid. Then again, you strike me as somebody who thinks with regards to anecdotal evidence rather than looking at actual data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC