Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 04:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I am Black. It is not a question of "minorities are not making any progress". More like some minorities are making progress while most of us are not. And how do you get the few of us that are to move into DC when there are arguably far more exciting places to be?

Why do you think that our economic situation will improve, overall? It improves for some that are in a position to take advantage of opportunities when they are presented with them but I still see a huge underclass of minorities in most cities, including here in Virginia where I currently live at, considering all of the opportunity that is available here that isn't in other areas. When I visit home, in Ohio, I see the situation being worse than it has even been (and it wasn't that great back in the day for minorities).

Blacks living in suburbia, if it means a better lifestyle and a more affordable one, is not a bad thing as long as we're working towards something. I would be more concerned if it were Blacks living in poor suburbs with infrastructural issues or Blacks living in segregated areas within suburbs that were under-served, which is something I see a lot of in this country, including cities like Atlanta. The former one can at least go into the city to take advantage of the amenities there and go back home. The later you're often stuck in a not so great part of the metro area and you have to deal with whatever cards you're dealt.
One of the biggest road blocks to opportunity for many minorities is culture. Many opportunities exist for those who adapt to the culture of the white collar class OR those who follow a culture of hard work, education, success, etc. And this is true for white people too. The majority of the poor in the United States are white people. Many of them have the same problems as poor blacks and Hispanics. Environmental and cultural factors often hold them back permanently in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 12:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Am I too optimistic about urban sprawl and economic growth in the region?
The sprawl has already reach so far as Spotsylvania and Massaponox south of Fredericksburg in the region.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...575f71efe398a1

It does seem like that's a pretty far stretch to say that far out is within DC's "sphere," but I spent last Thanksgiving in that area and its pretty populated all the way down there. Any further connection I believe Richmond will have to pick up some steam on its northern end suburbs, but it could definitely happen.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,447,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
One of the biggest road blocks to opportunity for many minorities is culture. Many opportunities exist for those who adapt to the culture of the white collar class OR those who follow a culture of hard work, education, success, etc. And this is true for white people too. The majority of the poor in the United States are white people. Many of them have the same problems as poor blacks and Hispanics. Environmental and cultural factors often hold them back permanently in life.
So we're saying the same thing. Assimilation is something you and me are willing to do but not every minority is. But should they have to?

And as far as class, when you bring up poor whites, I'm not really sure what that has to do with us. They'll get into upper management before we will. How have they adapted? In a lot of cases, they aren't even as educated as Blacks in the same position, doing the same job. It may be different in DC. But not every place is like DC.

Culture is just weighed differently with Whites.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:10 PM

135 posts, read 144,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Em, em, moderators:

But here is the crazy part: the same ones that will tell you that you need an education and masters to live in DC get crazy by me saying what I said above. They believe I am being bias towards others. It's loony tunes ville.

BUT HERE IS THE CATCH. I promote monoculturalism ONLY in DC. Not for every city because DC is so centralized that there is no outlet. That is the difference! You can have it in Brooklyn but one borough away, you are in a different zone that makes up for it. DC immediate area doesn't have plentiful vibrant metro areas on the scale of other cities.

So what are these other cities that have more vibrant metro areas? I've noticed that you reference NYC a lot but who else? I'd take the DC metro area against almost Metro with the exception of maybe NY, LA. maybe even SF.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
So we're saying the same thing. Assimilation is something you and me are willing to do but not every minority is. But should they have to?

And as far as class, when you bring up poor whites, I'm not really sure what that has to do with us. They'll get into upper management before we will. How have they adapted? In a lot of cases, they aren't even as educated as Blacks in the same position, doing the same job. It may be different in DC. But not every place is like DC.

Culture is just weighed differently with Whites.
I brought up poor whites to show that every problem or set back in life isn't always about race. One thing more minorities need to do is learn to take SOME responsibility and not just say all their problems are because they are not white.

Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
I brought up poor whites to show that every problem or set back in life isn't always about race. One thing more minorities need to do is learn to take SOME responsibility and not just say all their problems are because they are not white.

You do realize that there are tons of White people that blame their problems on minorities. What the hell do you think Donald Trump's "Let's Make America Great Again" campaign is all about. You really say some of the dumbest most racist things sometimes. I bet your two Black friends that love integration so much don't know you feel this way.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
You do realize that there are tons of White people that blame their problems on minorities. What the hell do you think Donald Trump's "Let's Make America Great Again" campaign is all about. You really say some of the dumbest most racist things sometimes. I bet your two Black friends that love integration so much don't know you feel this way.
I never said whites don't blame their problems on minorities. That is a totally different topic.

Doesn't change the fact that everything is not a racial issue and more minorities need to learn to take SOME responsibility and not just say all their problems are because they are not white. What is dumb about that? Do you even know? I bet you don't.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 PM

814 posts, read 911,049 times
Where do I see DC in 20 years? I honestly think it will fizzle a little, its only so big and like a cup of water if you keep filling eventually it will spill out the top.

Its DC and if you're not in bed with the government, are military, or a contractor building the next weapon, whats the sense?

Old 04-27-2016, 01:29 PM

[quote=Chriz Brown;43847264]I never said whites don't blame their problems on minorities. That is a totally different topic.

Doesn't change the fact that everything is not a racial issue and more minorities need to learn to take SOME responsibility and not just say all their problems are because they are not white.

Many minorities do take responsibility for their own actions. But that doesn't change the fact that institutional racism is still a huge problem in this country. It impacts many of the experiences that Black people have on a daily basis. Whether it be in economics, education, housing or the criminal justice system.

https://academic.udayton.edu/race/20...m/racism02.htm

Institutional Racism Is Our Way of Life | US News

Supreme Court: Institutional Racism Is Real - The Daily Beast

5 Examples of Institutional Racism in the United States

Michelle Alexander: Jim Crow Still Exists In America : NPR

What is dumb about that?

What's dumb is that you never seem to mention what problems White attitudes and cultural norms present for Black people. You act as if they don't ever play a negative role in anything. That's simply not true, particularly when you're talking about jobs, housing and economic development. It's almost as if you just landed from the planet Mars and you don't know anything about US History. I feel like I have to be a Political Science teacher every time I respond to you. Why don't you stop being intellectually lazy and do a little research before you type, that would help a lot.

Do you even know? I bet you don't.

What I know is that who ever raised you didn't teach you values like, empathy, sympathy, humility and respect for others that I different from you. What I also know is that if you continue to conduct yourself in this way something very bad is likely to happen to you.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth2power202 View Post
So what are these other cities that have more vibrant metro areas? I've noticed that you reference NYC a lot but who else? I'd take the DC metro area against almost Metro with the exception of maybe NY, LA. maybe even SF.
Exactly. On the metro level, the only two clear cut cities out serving DC would be NY/ LA. I could see the Bay Area making an argument, but every place else is no more than equivalent or offers less amenities, less diversity, or less vibrancy across the board than metro DC. The main thing missing is a large scale beach within 1hr (We still have Chesapeake Bay and two rivers btw). Other than that, the DC region actually is poised to further separate itself from many other places due to its continuing growth, and with that growth of course comes more amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: