Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 08:28 PM

294 posts, read 477,155 times

Advertisements

I will be in DC for the weekend in a couple of weeks and am trying to sort out what I want to see when I'm there. It will be my first time traveling to the city, so trying to get a good first impression. Realistically I'll only have about a solid day to roam around and a few obvious attractions come to mind. I'm just curious what you all would recommend for a short stint in the city. I will be staying downtown. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,534,208 times
If you're downtown then you could realistically see all of this:
1) Lincoln Memorial
2) Vietnam Wall
3) MLK Memorial
4) Jefferson Memorial
5) Washington Monument
6) Ford's Theater (Lincoln Assassination) --> See the bedroom where Lincoln died across the street with original furniture
7) Holocaust Museum
8) Air & Space Museum
9) White House
10) Capitol
11) Portrait Gallery/American History Museum if you're interested

The Spy Museum is way too crowded IMO and is more kids-oriented FYI. I'm also not a big fan of the Newseum -- it is way overpriced (and honestly I'm still trying to figure out how it's any different than a history museum).

I recommend you use the DC Circulator (costs $1) to get around the National Mall -- it's the most efficient and cheapest way.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 AM

9,884 posts, read 14,152,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
1) Lincoln Memorial
2) Vietnam Wall
3) MLK Memorial
4) Jefferson Memorial
5) Washington Monument
6) Ford's Theater (Lincoln Assassination) --> See the bedroom where Lincoln died across the street with original furniture
7) Holocaust Museum
8) Air & Space Museum
9) White House
10) Capitol

The Spy Museum is way too crowded IMO and is more kids-oriented FYI. I'm also not a big fan of the Newseum -- it is way overpriced (and honestly I'm still trying to figure out how it's any different than a history museum).

I recommend you use the DC Circulator (costs $1) to get around the National Mall -- it's the most efficient and cheapest way.

Seriously, I think that is way to much for one day, unless you are literally just driving by the monuments, White House and Capitol.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Seriously, I think that is way to much for one day, unless you are literally just driving by the monuments, White House and Capitol.
To each their own, but all the tourist attractions are pretty much right next to each other. Walk straight down Independence Avenue and you pretty much have seen it all (save for the Jefferson).

This would be nothing for me, but I suppose might be overwhelming for some. Probably wouldn't have time for American History, but I'm not a big fan of that anyway. It's only educational for like a 5 year old.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:31 PM

27,627 posts, read 28,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
Realistically I'll only have about a solid day to roam around and a few obvious attractions come to mind. I'm just curious what you all would recommend for a short stint in the city. I will be staying downtown. Thanks!
I recommend the Air & Space Museum, Museum of Natural History, National Gallery of Art and the monuments and memorials - Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR, Vietnam, WWII. That's pretty much all you'll have time for in 1 day.

Expect your feet to hurt at the end of the day as you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:19 AM

850 posts, read 1,134,321 times
The Holocaust Museum and the US Bureau of engraving and printing are the two most best I've recently been to. These museums are "off the beaten path".

Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,900,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
1) Lincoln Memorial
2) Vietnam Wall
3) MLK Memorial
4) Jefferson Memorial
5) Washington Monument
7) Holocaust Museum
8) Air & Space Museum
9) White House
10) Capitol

We're coming from the Clarendon area and that's our metro stop. It looks like all these attractions are a mile walk from foggy bottom station. Is this the best bet to get going to the DC circulator or should we drive and park in the area 'so surrounding streets if that's possible? It's going to cost us $20 round-trip in Metro fees anyway. Not sure the kids can walk the mile and do all this and back.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
We're coming from the Clarendon area and that's our metro stop. It looks like all these attractions are a mile walk from foggy bottom station. Is this the best bet to get going to the DC circulator or should we drive and park in the area 'so surrounding streets if that's possible? It's going to cost us $20 round-trip in Metro fees anyway. Not sure the kids can walk the mile and do all this and back.
The Smithsonian Metro stop would probably be more convenient than Foggy Bottom because that is right in the middle of the mall.

However, you can park on Ohio Drive for free and walk/take the Circulator from there. Here's the area I'm talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8839806,-77.0456995,17z. Come early, because the parking goes quick! You really can't drive around to all the different memorials though because there is very little parking.

Biking around to everything is another option that your kids might like depending on their age. It's about $10 per person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: