Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC north, south, or mid-atlantic?
North obviously!!! 5 6.02%
North, but not NY 13 15.66%
MId-atlantic! Why are people against Mid-atlantic choicing? 57 68.67%
South, but not SC 6 7.23%
Was, is, and will always be the south? 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
It's more like Philadelphia than it is Richmond. LMAO you just don't give up do you? You want D.C. to be Southern so badly you'll deny anything that makes it un-Southern and try your best to group it in with cities it has nothing in common with like Richmond.
Let's take a look. Shall we?
https://conference.icmcp.org/about-the-city.html
Quote:
About Washington, DC

Located between the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers, Washington, D.C. was founded on July 16, 1790. Established by the Constitution of the United States, the nation’s capital has been the center for politics, deal-making, and power. George Washington, the city’s namesake, played a key role in the planning and development of the new capital.

As a southern city, Washington has always had a significant African American population.
Must I BajanYankee you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 10:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,861,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Let's take a look. Shall we?
https://conference.icmcp.org/about-the-city.html

Must I BajanYankee you?
BajanYankee is stuck in the past. So are you. Get out of the past and live in the present. Washington, D.C. is not a Southern city in the modern times. You're gonna have to do better than pages that say D.C. is Southern. You're going to have to prove it culturally and linguistically.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:07 AM

386 posts, read 987,252 times
DC is the epitome of a mid-atlantic city (along with Baltimore), due to the fact it is traditionally upper south, but has many northern characteristics in modern times. Most residents I have spoken to consider DC to be the mid-atlantic or neutral also. I am from Tidewater VA and I have never met anyone who considers DC the north (even down here). With that said, I have never heard anyone call the city the south, except for some people from NYC (who believe from Maryland down is the south). DC is like a combination of Richmond and Boston.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
DC is the epitome of a mid-atlantic city (along with Baltimore), due to the fact it is traditionally upper south, but has many northern characteristics in modern times. Most residents I have spoken to consider DC to be the mid-atlantic or neutral also. I am from Tidewater VA and I have never met anyone who considers DC the north (even down here). With that said, I have never heard anyone call the city the south, except for some people from NYC (who believe from Maryland down is the south). DC is like a combination of Richmond and Boston.
Really, in general the white people living in DC and Baltimore aren't culturally southern because many of them are from somewhere else, but black people from DC have the same culture as did they did in the 70s. This influences the decisions of many people about what geographic region they belong in.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:45 AM

386 posts, read 987,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Really, in general the white people living in DC and Baltimore aren't culturally southern because many of them are from somewhere else, but black people from DC have the same culture as did they did in the 70s. This influences the decisions of many people about what geographic region they belong in.
I agree with you regarding the cultural differences between black and white in DC/Baltimore. I have always viewed the AA's in DC as having similar accents to Tidewater AA's in Norfolk/Newport News/Va Beach, but not Richmond AA's (which ironically sounds more stereotypically southern). However, I know many AA's in the Carolinas and further south view DC/Baltimore AA's as being culturally more eastcoast/northern (although some of them say that about Tidewater, VA also). I think it is easier to consider DC/Maryland/NOVA (eastern VA if you want to push it further) the middle of the eastcoast (mid-atlantic) and recognize the area as an anomaly between the modern northeast and the southeast.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
I agree with you regarding the cultural differences between black and white in DC/Baltimore. I have always viewed the AA's in DC as having similar accents to Tidewater AA's in Norfolk/Newport News/Va Beach, but not Richmond AA's (which ironically sounds more stereotypically southern). However, I know many AA's in the Carolinas and further south view DC/Baltimore AA's as being culturally more eastcoast/northern (although some of them say that about Tidewater, VA also). I think it is easier to consider DC/Maryland/NOVA (eastern VA if you want to push it further) the middle of the eastcoast (mid-atlantic) and recognize the area as an anomaly between the modern northeast and the southeast.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've never been called "northern" by people from the Carolinas, but I have heard people down there say that people from the Seven Cities have "east coast" sounding accents. Generally, the people have lighter accents down there than people from DC, Baltimore and Richmond.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:12 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,788 times
OH NO here we go again!! The never-ending debate! I stand firmly behind my viewpoint on this as I have in previous threads, DC is part of the NORTH and will always be for the following reasons:

- DC is geographically located in the NORTHeast quadrant of the continental US, there is no debate behind this.
- DC's physical appearance, architecture, and infrastructure resembles that of a Northeastern city (Philly, NYC, etc.), it does not resemble that of a Southern city, not to mention even from a historical standpoint it is very Northern..
- DC's society and culture resembles that of a metropolitan Northeastern city (once again similar to Philly, NYC, etc.), I have lived in an actual Southern city before and DC's local culture is NOT Southern in any way or form..
- DC's weather, especially winters, is characteristic of a typical Northeastern city, winters are COLD, snowy, and overcast, even local governments are well prepared for "winter storms" unlike Southern cities which are not..
- DC is even part of the NORTHEAST regional Amtrak train route which specifically links and serves Northeastern cities..
- Having lived in the South, no one in the South considers DC as "part of the South", the majority consensus of Southerners will always associate DC with the north and consider it a Northeastern city, because it is.. For some reasons Northerners always seem to have a problem with accepting that DC as part of the North, I have never understood why..

Last edited by MrKnight; 06-07-2016 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
OH NO here we go again!! The never-ending debate! I stand firmly behind my viewpoint on this as I have in previous threads, DC is part of the NORTH and will always be for the following reasons:

- DC is geographically located in the NORTHeast quadrant of the continental US, there is no debate behind this.
- DC's physical appearance, architecture, and infrastructure resembles that of a Northeastern city (Philly, NYC, etc.), it does not resemble that of a Southern city, not to mention even from a historical standpoint it is very Northern..
- DC's society and culture resembles that of a metropolitan Northeastern city (once again similar to Philly, NYC, etc.), I have lived in an actual Southern city before and DC's local culture is NOT Southern in any way or form..
- DC's weather, especially winters, is characteristic of a typical Northeastern city, winters are COLD, snowy, and overcast, even local governments are well prepared for "winter storms" unlike Southern cities which are not..
- DC is even part of the NORTHEAST regional Amtrak train route which specifically links and serves Northeastern cities..
- Having lived in the South, no one in the South considers DC as "part of the South", the majority consensus of Southerners will always associate DC with the north and consider it a Northeastern city, because it is.. For some reasons Northerners always seem to have a problem with accepting that DC as part of the North, I have never understood why..
DC resembles parts of Richmond. Especially the Fan district. Also Savannah has row house neighborhoods that resemble some DC neighborhoods. But most southern cities--Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Houston, etc., bear no resemblance to DC.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post

It's probably because DC has never officially been designated as a northeastern city. It (along with MD) has historically and even to this day been classified as Southern.

https://www2.census.gov/geo/pdfs/map.../us_regdiv.pdf

It's a never ending debate, and nobody will agree 100%. I classify it as Mid-Atlantic. I agree with you it's not that similar to most southern cities, but it's also different than the historic Northeast cities. It doesn't have an industrial history/fabric to it. It doesn't have the older ethnic groups and associated neighborhoods. It lacks a large blue collar population that you find in the other NE cities. It has a much lower Catholic population than the other NE cities.

On the flip side, you can obviously point out lots of differences between DC and southern cities from food to look and feel of the neighborhoods, etc. It has similarities and differences to both the north and the south, which is why Mid-Atlantic always makes most sense to me. It's also such a unique city being the capital, lack of skyscrapers, etc. It doesn't fit neatly into just one box.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:06 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
DC is nothing like Richmond. Culturally and linguistically it is VERY different from Richmond. It's more like Philadelphia and Baltimore.
Not true; the two cities do have similarities (and why wouldn't they, being geographically similar and only 100 miles or so apart) but I'm really tired of your repetitive "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" "culturally and linguistically" diatribes so I won't engage any further on this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC