Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:55 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
And 80-90% of people would be wrong.
Most people think in terms of population when you say "biggest city," not land area. I seriously doubt you'd find even one person who would answer "Sitka, AK" if you asked them what the biggest city in the US is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 PM

34 posts, read 28,291 times
You all scared her off, where did she go. I swear DC have the rudest people in the USA...

Old 11-02-2016, 12:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Most people think in terms of population when you say "biggest city," not land area. I seriously doubt you'd find even one person who would answer "Sitka, AK" if you asked them what the biggest city in the US is.
I don't care about what "most people think" I care about facts. What is true and what is false.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
I don't care about what "most people think" I care about facts. What is true and what is false.
Measuring the size of a city is not an exact science. Nonetheless, the metropolitan area (MSA) population tends to be the best indication of a city's size more often than not.

For comparison:

DC = 6.1 million
Chicago = 9.5 million
NYC = 20.2 million

I expect that the MSA's of DC and Baltimore will combine sometime in the next 15 years and reach 10 million+.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Measuring the size of a city is not an exact science. Nonetheless, the metropolitan area (MSA) population tends to be the best indication of a city's size more often than not.

For comparison:

DC = 6.1 million
Chicago = 9.5 million
NYC = 20.2 million

I expect that the MSA's of DC and Baltimore will combine sometime in the next 15 years and reach 10 million+.
Merging of the DC and Baltimore metro areas into one "mega-city" would work even better if the areas between the two cities became more urbanized. Then both areas would benefit from sharing transportation like Metro. Baltimore's subway can extend further in the direction of DC to cross paths with an extended Metro Green line where a transfer station can exist, or maybe the purple line can meet with the Baltimore subway.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
You're being annoyingly obtuse. The FACT of the matter is that size can refer to either population or land area when it comes to cities. Most often, it is used in reference to population; when land area is in view, that is usually explicitly stated. People aren't wrong when they say NYC is the biggest city in the country.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
DC is a young city. I think that perspective should be a part of this discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Very good point.
Intriguing video about why European cities have more dense development than American cities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSxPzafO_k

Last edited by revitalizer; 11-02-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
You're being annoyingly obtuse. The FACT of the matter is that size can refer to either population or land area when it comes to cities. Most often, it is used in reference to population; when land area is in view, that is usually explicitly stated. People aren't wrong when they say NYC is the biggest city in the country.
False.

Size is size and population is population. A car does not become larger when more people are in it.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
False.

Size is size and population is population. A car does not become larger when more people are in it.
You're wrong and apparently you don't know that one word can mean several things. You should have learned this in elementary school.

Definitions of 'size'

6. a number of population or contents:
What size is Springfield, Illinois? The size of that last shipment was only a dozen.
Size | Define Size at Dictionary.com

2. : the number or amount of people or things <The population grows in size.>
Size | Definition of Size by Merriam-Webster

a large magnitude
“he blanched when he saw the size of the bill”
“the only city of any size in that area”

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/size

Companies get bigger when they hire more people. Schools get bigger when they enroll more students. Churches get bigger when they get more parishioners. And cities get bigger when more people move in.

It's absolutely preposterous that you even dispute this.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
You're wrong and apparently you don't know that one word can mean several things. You should have learned this in elementary school.

Definitions of 'size'

6. a number of population or contents:
What size is Springfield, Illinois? The size of that last shipment was only a dozen.
Size | Define Size at Dictionary.com

2. : the number or amount of people or things <The population grows in size.>
Size | Definition of Size by Merriam-Webster

a large magnitude
“he blanched when he saw the size of the bill”
“the only city of any size in that area”

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/size

Companies get bigger when they hire more people. Schools get bigger when they enroll more students. Churches get bigger when they get more parishioners. And cities get bigger when more people move in.

It's absolutely preposterous that you even dispute this.
Had to go all the way to the sixth definition huh? I think that says something right there.

Do I see your point? Sure I do. But size means measurements before it means "number of something". A city is defined by its borders first. Why? Because its borders are concrete and don't change. The number of people in a city change by the hour if not the minute. Therefore, it is not a concrete way to define a city.

Here is the dictionary definition of size in order:

size1
sīz/Submit
noun

the relative extent of something; a thing's overall dimensions or magnitude; how big something is.
"the schools varied in size"
synonyms: dimensions, measurements, proportions, magnitude, largeness, bigness, area, expanse; More
each of the classes, typically numbered, into which garments or other articles are divided according to how large they are.
"I can never find anything in my size"
verb
alter or sort in terms of size or according to size.
"some drills are sized in millimeters"
synonyms: sort, categorize, classify
"the drills are sized in millimeters"
adjective
having a specified size; sized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC