Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 95,171 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Is it customary to do a background check after you have started a job with the federal government? What happens if there are non-criminal issues such as being fired from a job (disclosed on the background check form)?

I guess my real question is would they actually rescind the job after you started based on a background check?

Any insight would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM

273 posts, read 1,483,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhousefan View Post
Hi:

Is it customary to do a background check after you have started a job with the federal government? What happens if there are non-criminal issues such as being fired from a job (disclosed on the background check form)?

I guess my real question is would they actually rescind the job after you started based on a background check?

Is this for an actual clearance? If so, I believe if they deny you the clearance you don't necessarily lose your job unless your job requires you to have one. I don't know what other kind of background check they would do after you have started other than a clearance.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Default No not for clearance

Thank you for your response

I don't think it is for clearance. As far as I know, it is a public service trust background check (or something of that nature). This is a non-sensitive job in a non-sensitive agency.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:36 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
Inside secret...

most companies do background checks before the first interview. Public records databases.

Your options: I don't know what you did but its sounds like you fudged why you left your last employer..

1. Tell them no contact with current employer and no contact once hired. Make something up like your boss left the company who can speak on your experience.

2. You get canned- its deception and most companies have a zero tolerance policy because it speaks to your character as they would say.

3. They don't do a thorough check and just do the basics of calling your job and asking for title, salary, and dates hired/ended...

Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 PM

Default No fudging

The background check forms haven't even been turned in yet. It has more to do with the reason for termination with (not the last employer they were sad to see me go) but the one prior to the last position.

It wasn't theft or using company property for elicit reasons. Just a bonehead move on company property after working hours.

The issue is that the job has already started and I wasn't notified of the background check until the first day of work. I relocated for the position and hope there isn't an issue surrounding that termination AFTER I started work.

I could be reading more into this than there is.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:48 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Hi:

For a non-sensitive position, yes, that's normal. I had to do one too. I'd say you're best off not lying about it, and just being upfront without putting too much information. Just put down exactly what is required, if they want more info they'll find it.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how thorough it is. The contacts I put down got a form in the mail about a month later asking:
1) do you know this person?
2) how long?
3) can you verify that he worked/lived here?
4) are they convicted of felony/serious crime?
5) do you know anything that you would like to disclose about this person with regards to public or national security?

You could probably get away with saying you don't know the contact information for the former employer (especially since it wasn't the directly previous one). For mine, all but 1 of my contacts had moved on, so I had nothing to put down for them.

As far as rescinding the job, if you lied about something serious like citizenship, convictions, your identity, being a terrorist, etc., then they might fire you. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for the information. I kind of figured it wasn't a big deal but got a little freaked out about the extent that employers can do background checks after spending all this money to move to DC.

I don't plan on being untruthful on the form. I just wondered if the truth could be an issue.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Thank you for the information. I kind of figured it wasn't a big deal but got a little freaked out about the extent that employers can do background checks after spending all this money to move to DC.

I don't plan on being untruthful on the form. I just wondered if the truth could be an issue.
Rowhouse..I encountered a similar situation and the best policy is to be honest. Even if the truth gets you fired, which in this instance I doubt it will, then at least you know you did the right thing. The worse thing you can do is fabricate something on these government forms or lie to the investigators. This will not only get you fired but bar you from future government employment and the possible incurrence of criminal penalties.

If everyone were an angel, then none of us would have a job, right? They are more concerned about your honesty and integrity moreso than the particular incident itself, within reason, of course.

I recently went through my 5 year re-investigation and I had a small traffic "issue" a year or two before that. I told them precisely what happened and I am still sitting here today.

Don't sweat it.

Last edited by Gil3; 07-10-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 23,765 times
Are you already permanent, or is this a brand new government position? If it's a conditional position, that you have to pass, than I think they can rescind the offer if you don't pass. But, if you're already permanent, I think you'd just get placed somewhere that it wasn't neccessary.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Conditional

Thank you for all your responses.

It is conditional. The offer letter wasn't particularly clear that it required a background check of any type and no one ever mentioned it.

I think it will be OKAY. The termination wasn't due to anything that would have affected the company negatively and it was after hours. It was just a violation of company policy.

No criminal issues and no falsehoods on the form.

I guess the main question is if I put the reason for the termination was violation of company policy will they ask the employer the specific reason why I was terminated and will that reason be enough to rescind the offer?

Life will go on if that happens but...... it sure would suck.

I guess only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC