Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:22 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No. Although it would be interesting from a economic diversification standpoint. Then again that may not be much of an issue since you already have that diversification in Virginia and Maryland.

I doubt that DC's height limits have anything to do with it. More of an issue of where to put it, and what needs to be done with existing infrastructure if there is no where to put it (eminent domain) although I'm not sure that would ever happen.

All of this hand wringing over which inner city could actually support the Amazon headquarters. Best bet would be in the Rust Belt where you already have underutilized land, because of blight, vacant blocks, etc. Maybe a city like Detroit. Get the land cheap, and those areas would be more than willing to build out the public transportation if it does not exist. Give Detroit's Qline somewhere to go. Might even bring that city out of some of the financial issues they have there. Doubtful it would ever happen but it would be interesting if it did. Baltimore might be another option.
Amazon is looking for cities that already have the existing infrastructure; I think people overestimate this whole "Bezos: City Savior" complex thingy.

Baltimore, as well as Newark, could work (both of which are essentially East Coast Rust Belt cities) because they actually do check most of Amazon's boxes, plus they have much larger regional educated talent pools to draw from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:51 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Amazon is looking for cities that already have the existing infrastructure; I think people overestimate this whole "Bezos: City Savior" complex thingy.

Baltimore, as well as Newark, could work (both of which are essentially East Coast Rust Belt cities) because they actually do check most of Amazon's boxes, plus they have much larger regional educated talent pools to draw from.
Absolutely. Plus Baltimore and Newark are closer to larger metropolitan areas. More options in those cities, and better infrastructure.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:44 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
People like Richard Florida and Chris Leinberger believe that it's most likely going to be DC. I trust their judgments.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM

290 posts, read 634,510 times
Nope.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
People like Richard Florida and Chris Leinberger believe that it's most likely going to be DC. I trust their judgments.
I agree with the purchase of a $23 million dollar home was the show stopper for me as far as DC being the pick. Even though Baltimore is close to DC, there is no infrastructure or mass transit that is advanced enough to move folks around. As it stands, the Amazon Fulfillment Center in Dundalk requires 'subsidized' bus service from Amazon (paid for by Baltimore City) to assist with getting people to work from the city because the existing bus service is not sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: