Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times

Advertisements

I'd say do as much as you can on your end to help boost yourself and sell yourself. People will be impressed that you're putting yourself out there, and can at least Google you if they are interested in you.

And YES, a LinkedIn site is def a must. I lost a job interview because I didn't have enough connections on LinkedIn because I barely use it. True story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I lost a job interview because I didn't have enough connections on LinkedIn because I barely use it. True story.
Absurd. Sounds like they did you a favor.

I know it depends on the position, but in most cases any employer who judges you by how many LinkedIn contacts or friends on Facebook you have is on a path to hell and probably won't be around very long.

I'm picturing the conversation right how: "This candidate had great experience, was amazing in the interview and has a perfect resume. However, they barely have any LinkedIn contacts. We'll have to pass"

Sounds like a company run by morons lol.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
Statistically, DC is the most educated metropolitan area in the country. 42% of the population has a Bachelor's degree--that's almost double the national average. And the number of people who have advanced degrees is more than double the national average....more people have Master's and PhDs and multiple degrees in DC than anywhere except a college campus.

So you while you won't be relegated to store clerk status, you will definitely be running in the big leagues in DC. If you look at job boards for 'administrative assistant' you'll see that most of them ask for a college degree. Doesn't mean that all the jobs are filled with a degreed applicant, but that's what employers want.

Obviously in that kind of market, the less education you have, the less pay you'll receive. The good news is that a lot of employers will pay for additional education, and there are a lot of opportunities to pursue graduate studies part time in DC. If you aren't interested in more studies, I would seriously reconsider why you want to live in DC--it's a seriously expensive & competitive town.

That's not to say you couldn't survive on merely a bachelor's degree. Just that you probably will need several roommates and a part-time gig just to make ends meet. For quite a few years, unless you do something to boost your qualifications.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Absurd. Sounds like they did you a favor.

I know it depends on the position, but in most cases any employer who judges you by how many LinkedIn contacts or friends on Facebook you have is on a path to hell and probably won't be around very long.

I'm picturing the conversation right how: "This candidate had great experience, was amazing in the interview and has a perfect resume. However, they barely have any LinkedIn contacts. We'll have to pass"

Sounds like a company run by morons lol.
Yeah, it was perplexing. It was some small company out in Reston, but I've never heard of anything like that before. I had the experience, but apparently I didn't network enough? LOL. I have the LinkenIn app but I use it maybe 4 times a year, if that.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Statistically, DC is the most educated metropolitan area in the country. 42% of the population has a Bachelor's degree--that's almost double the national average. And the number of people who have advanced degrees is more than double the national average....more people have Master's and PhDs and multiple degrees in DC than anywhere except a college campus.

So you while you won't be relegated to store clerk status, you will definitely be running in the big leagues in DC. If you look at job boards for 'administrative assistant' you'll see that most of them ask for a college degree. Doesn't mean that all the jobs are filled with a degreed applicant, but that's what employers want.

Obviously in that kind of market, the less education you have, the less pay you'll receive. The good news is that a lot of employers will pay for additional education, and there are a lot of opportunities to pursue graduate studies part time in DC. If you aren't interested in more studies, I would seriously reconsider why you want to live in DC--it's a seriously expensive & competitive town.

That's not to say you couldn't survive on merely a bachelor's degree. Just that you probably will need several roommates and a part-time gig just to make ends meet. For quite a few years, unless you do something to boost your qualifications.
Yeah, the best thing OP can do is get your foot in the door at any decent company...start small and pay your dues and work hard to work your way up. They see years as experience when you're young as an equivalent to an advanced degree around here. I know some people who don't even have BS/BA's and are making 6 figs just because of the length of time they've worked.

But, a degree is always a boost in your career. I also know people who have Bachelor's and certifications like the PMP to make quite good money, as well.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Yeah, the best thing OP can do is get your foot in the door at any decent company...start small and pay your dues and work hard to work your way up. They see years as experience when you're young as an equivalent to an advanced degree around here. I know some people who don't even have BS/BA's and are making 6 figs just because of the length of time they've worked.

But, a degree is always a boost in your career. I also know people who have Bachelor's and certifications like the PMP to make quite good money, as well.
By the same token, I know a few people who came to town what a BA and really struggled....all the jobs they applied for said either a Master's degree or 5+ yrs experience. As if an MA really is equivalent to 5+ years of work experience.

Years of experience can definitely make up for education, but not at the same rate, I don't think. DC really is a town of snobs.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie97 View Post
I have a bachelors degree in writing, so I would presumably be looking for work in journalism.
You write? And you think that only leads to journalism in the DC area? Nah.

I know lots of legal and technical writers in the DC area. Transcribing technobabble and legalese clearly and succinctly into something digestible by the average person is a major marketable skill in the DC area. It won't win you a major literary award but it is solidly in demand and will pay you a respectable wage.

There are many job sources. For starters, try Indeed.com, monster.com and different classified job sources such as the Washington Post classifieds.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:39 PM

24 posts, read 28,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
By the same token, I know a few people who came to town what a BA and really struggled....all the jobs they applied for said either a Master's degree or 5+ yrs experience. As if an MA really is equivalent to 5+ years of work experience.

Years of experience can definitely make up for education, but not at the same rate, I don't think. DC really is a town of snobs.
Do you know what kind of degree they had?

This is what I'm worried about! I don't have any experience outside school.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:46 PM

24 posts, read 28,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
You write? And you think that only leads to journalism in the DC area? Nah.

I know lots of legal and technical writers in the DC area. Transcribing technobabble and legalese clearly and succinctly into something digestible by the average person is a major marketable skill in the DC area. It won't win you a major literary award but it is solidly in demand and will pay you a respectable wage.

There are many job sources. For starters, try Indeed.com, monster.com and different classified job sources such as the Washington Post classifieds.
Ive looked into technical writing before. A lot of places look like they require experience for them to hire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: