Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:06 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I just don’t see Amazon picking DC. At the end of the day, only Jeff Bezos and the Board knows where they will end up.
Crystal City or Rosslyn could really wind up the winner here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 AM

741 posts, read 1,112,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I don't see DC proper being picked, it's just too crowded (IMO, DC is already crowded for what it is compared to 10 years ago) but can easily see NOVA or MD. Just more space and plus, I believe VA/MD have more relaxed state tax laws than the District. THe Silver/Purple lines was basically built with big businesses moving to those areas.
While you think DC is too crowded, I find it not crowded. I'd be happy with density increasing substantially from where it is right now.

As for DC's competitiveness, DC has leveled the playing field substantially. DC has reduced corporate taxes and business incentives have gone up. And, just a few months ago, DC landed a Yelp office that isn't government affairs related. It was in competition with Northern VA for that. DC can compete.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times
Quote:
I don't see DC proper being picked, it's just too crowded (IMO, DC is already crowded for what it is compared to 10 years ago) but can easily see NOVA or MD. Just more space and plus, I believe VA/MD have more relaxed state tax laws than the District. THe Silver/Purple lines was basically built with big businesses moving to those areas.

I can see these areas too. I do like the optimism so many people have that Amazon will potentially come here. My thoughts are that Amazon will pick a cheaper area with a lot more room for growth. I'd put my money on Austin from what I've been reading. At the end of the day they could end up in so many places. Personally, I'd rather them not come to DC as I think we have more than enough growth to sustain us. I think Amazon will escalate already ridiculous real estate values in DC and could cause a lot of issues regarding inequality. I really think there would be an uprising among the low income or unemployed minorities who have called DC home for generations. OR, it would force them to move to MD for the lower cost of living and DC will just continue on its path to be a very white collar city. Personally, I don't mind this as I'm a white collared professional in a high income bracket. However, I do realize the COL would go up when bringing in over 50,000 jobs with high incomes to boot.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,966 times
If Amazon doesn't choose DC I think it will be brand name related.

In other words.. "hidden criteria" might make DC lose. Hidden criteria is always present. There are always preferences that sound too absurd to say out loud, so you stick to the logical ones on paper while still holding a bias. That's a big possibility.

Dating sites are a good example. You list the qualities you want, but most people won't say something like: "Must have all your teeth". That would be a "hidden criteria".

Let's say Amazon wants a "hip city". While DC is more hip than it used to be, it can't rival Austin, NYC or even Philly in that way. DC has a unique brand name like all the other cities on the list. But DC's image might not be what Amazon wants.

Playing devils advocate though.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
If Amazon doesn't choose DC I think it will be brand name related.

In other words.. "hidden criteria" might make DC lose. Hidden criteria is always present. There are always preferences that sound too absurd to say out loud, so you stick to the logical ones on paper while still holding a bias. That's a big possibility.

Dating sites are a good example. You list the qualities you want, but most people won't say something like: "Must have all your teeth". That would be a "hidden criteria".

Let's say Amazon wants a "hip city". While DC is more hip than it used to be, it can't rival Austin, NYC or even Philly in that way. DC has a unique brand name like all the other cities on the list. But DC's image might not be what Amazon wants.

Playing devils advocate though.
Right so how do we absorb/change this in the future, for more "cool" "hip" jobs to come to this market in the future. For the life of me I can see how an Austin for example at least on the surface could appear as a more "cool" place especially for a younger person to be, but would choose to live in work in and around the DC metro area 100 times out of 100 over Austin, and that's no slight to that city.

There are a lot of not only cool, but absolutely amazing things about DC.

I really think the media and websites like this one just anoint places titles based on either hype or just choosing to dislike one place over the other.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Right so how do we absorb/change this in the future, for more "cool" "hip" jobs to come to this market in the future. For the life of me I can see how an Austin for example at least on the surface could appear as a more "cool" place especially for a younger person to be, but would choose to live in work in and around the DC metro area 100 times out of 100 over Austin, and that's no slight to that city.

There are a lot of not only cool, but absolutely amazing things about DC.

I really think the media and websites like this one just anoint places titles based on either hype or just choosing to dislike one place over the other.
What makes Austin hip and cool? I think those words are overused. Does a bar with live music make a place hip and cool? Hip and cool for who?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
What makes Austin hip and cool? I think those words are overused. Does a bar with live music make a place hip and cool? Hip and cool for who?
I guess it's the same as the people who think DC is hip and cool because it has a few streets with some bars/live music.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 AM

126 posts, read 117,507 times
Quote:
I guess it's the same as the people who think DC is hip and cool because it has a few streets with some bars/live music.
I would say that events such as Austin City Limits, South by SouthWest, Austin Film Festival, Keep Austin Weird Motto that the city seems to take pride in, along with other avant-garde arts, music, film, diy, and cultural scenes the city seems to have.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:51 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
College town, liberal, big tech scene, lots of young professionals, huge live music scene, lots of bars, vibrant nightlife, etc.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:07 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketter View Post
I would say that events such as Austin City Limits, South by SouthWest, Austin Film Festival, Keep Austin Weird Motto that the city seems to take pride in, along with other avant-garde arts, music, film, diy, and cultural scenes the city seems to have.
Which is much more to offer than DC. DC's culture is....oh look, a Happy Hour on U Street. Or the Jazz Garden in the summer lol.

But still, I doubt that Amazon would move that far down to Austin based off something like that. Economically, Austin is okay, but I would be surprised if a big tech company like that would move there. It reminds more of a college town than a professional, business area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC