Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:01 AM

562 posts, read 464,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I doubt they were pulling my legs. They were really chill drivers. The conversation generally starts out when they reminisce on what certain parts of DC was like.

Some of their stories may have been exaggerated but I don’t think they flat out just decided to misconstrue the areas. That or it never occurred to me someone would casually lie about something I don’t care about. And FWIW, I don’t think they meant modern day H Street or Eastern Market.
Perhaps that may be true for immigrant black drivers, but there are a lot of uber/lyft drivers who are black American who typically drive in that area. Lyft/Uber has many drivers all over the DC metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 09:59 PM

700 posts, read 422,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Used to be a taxi driver. One particular driver who mentioned not going to certain parts went as far back in his history as to somehow meeting a phone date woman (I’m only 26, so I’m not exactly sure the technical term used to describe the phone numbers you would call to talk to females), going into the hotel to hook up with her but he realized she was just there to lure him or something for other guys to rob him.

Look. My personal opinion is you won’t have a problem, but a couple drivers have brought it up before. I get German female drivers driving to make extra money for their parents to come down to meet the new grand child, Iraqi’s who tell me way too much information about their family in Iraq. I get way too much personal odd information.

Not sure if you’re trying to “debunk” me or something, but it’s true stories.

Do I think African Americans will have a hard time getting a taxi? No. But I have heard uber drivers, who also drove taxis and do lyft say they avoid areas. And it’s always been in the context of “You live in SW? It’s crazy how much it’s changed. What? You’ve only lived here less than a year? SW used to be ...... and this area was ..... and I used to not pick people up there because ......” — it’s always been in context of pretty much gentrification and how certain parts were rough.
women would attempt to set up my dad all the time when he was a cab driver in Brooklyn in the late 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: