Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 10:30 AM

314 posts, read 555,411 times

Advertisements

With all political discussion aside, I miss visiting DC pre-Trump, when you could walk right up to White House gate and snap a photo. The last time I was in DC was February 2018, and the entire street was closed off. I was wondering if it's still like that, and do you think when the time comes when Trump is out of office, will we once again be able to walk along Pennsylvania Ave.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 06:02 PM

322 posts, read 276,068 times
barricading the fence actually started before Trump - the media just didn't intensify this fact until Trump became President

Old 07-14-2019, 06:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,080,567 times
Penn Avenue between 15th and 17th streets was first closed to motorized traffic on orders by Bill Clinton during his Presidency. Only pedestrians and skaters have been allowed since . This disrupted traffic severely, including hundreds of daily busses which had to permanently detour to already-clogged parallel H street (eastbound) or I street (westbound).

I retired in 2006 and haven't been by there since. Has it been restricted even more than before ?

Old 07-15-2019, 07:38 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Its the same now as it was during the Obama years. No vehicle traffic, but open to pedestrians.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:06 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,998,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Penn Avenue between 15th and 17th streets was first closed to motorized traffic on orders by Bill Clinton during his Presidency. Only pedestrians and skaters have been allowed since . This disrupted traffic severely, including hundreds of daily busses which had to permanently detour to already-clogged parallel H street (eastbound) or I street (westbound).

I retired in 2006 and haven't been by there since. Has it been restricted even more than before ?
Pennsylvania Ave was restricted after the Oklahoma City bombing at the request of the Secret Service.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
It's frequently closed even to pedestrians now, and that's what the OP is talking about. Seems like a good 10-20% of the time when I'm biking by, everyone's been squeezed onto either just the north "sidewalk" of Pennsylvania Ave, or else even Lafayette Square is closed and everyone's been shoved onto H St NW. This happens so frequently that tensabarriers have been installed on the lampposts along the north sidewalk, so that the cops don't even have to string up police tape. The south sidewalk of Pennsylvania Ave has been fenced off permanently, due to the number of fence-jumpers, so the answer is: no, you'll never again be able to get a photo without at least three fences between you and the White House.

These constant closures are really a problem for bike commuters, since a bunch of bike routes flow through that stretch of Pennsylvania Ave. Then I get there, and NOPE, must turn around, with zero warning until there's an angry cop screaming in your face. All of the surrounding roads are traffic-choked highways.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:21 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,254,250 times
So what you say is that it is open to pedestrians the majority of the time.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 AM

27,579 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Pennsylvania Ave was restricted after the Oklahoma City bombing at the request of the Secret Service.
I thought that the major restrictions happened after 9/11.

The only time I go to the White House now is to look at the Christmas trees.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:27 AM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Doesn't matter if the restrictions were implemented during Clinton, the reason for the OP is TRUMP!!!!

Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,546,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
So what you say is that it is open to pedestrians the majority of the time.
No. The OP says "you could walk right up to White House gate." That is NEVER allowed at ANY time anymore. Multiple barricades now separate all pedestrians, at all times, from the high fence around the grounds.

It used to be that you could hold a camera in the gap between two fence pickets and get a clear view of the WH. No longer.

https://wtop.com/local/2019/06/const...e-house-fence/

"put in place a second, shorter barrier — made of metal bike racks — several feet in front of the current fence. Potential jumpers would essentially have separate fences to scale — the bike racks and the actual fence. The added security has kept tourists from taking photos of the historic building without the fence showing up in their frames."

And even though the former Pennsylvania Ave ROW is often open to pedestrians, at any moment armed guards may suddenly start chasing people out and telling bicyclists to go play in highway traffic instead. That's like saying that the Metro is not on fire "the majority of the time," or the Beltway is not shut down by truck crashes "the majority of the time." When people rely on a transportation link as part of their commutes, reliability has to be better than "the majority of the time."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC