Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2020, 04:27 PM

322 posts, read 275,884 times

Advertisements

I have many wonderful memories of RFK stadium, mainly memorable Redskin games - who could ever forget the 1982 NFC Championship against the cowgirls with the whole stadium shaking and chants of "We want Dallas! We want Dallas" reverberating throughout the whole stadium?
Or the 1991 NFC Divisional playoff game against the Falcons where yellow seat cushions rained down on to the field after the Redskins trounced Atlanta?
I would like to take one last tour of RFK stadium before it's gone forever. Is there a procedure I need to follow or anyone in particular I should contact to fulfill this? Are there farewell tours of RFK stadium?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 06:52 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
It's unlikely that there will be any more public access to the facility, which will be torn down in 2022 or so. A contractor hasn't yet been chosen, though.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...-rescinds.html

Old 12-09-2020, 10:33 AM

290 posts, read 634,370 times
Ol' RFK. I wouldn't be going over to that place at this point. It's literally a hazard. You would need to break in. If you go now you're really taking your own safety into your own hands. There were plenty of farewell opportunities in the final years with DC United and any other events they held when they closed the place a couple years ago.

Yeah, the number of ideas buzzing around about what to do with that site over the years has been dizzying. My guess is that Snyder is biding his time waiting for the lease at FedExField to expire and angling to build a new stadium on the site for the Washington Whatevers late in the decade. Now that Snyder has half-assedly changed the name of the Whatevers a new stadium on the site is a possibility again.

I wouldn't be against an indoor stadium (or even retractable roof stadium) since it would attract conventions, large-scale concerts, Final Fours, Super Bowls, etc. as long as we make Snyder pay for it himself. Fat chance that happens though.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:03 PM

322 posts, read 275,884 times
I would like to build a stadium that looks EXACTLY like RFK stadium, but bigger and better with all the modern bells & whistles, but still LOOK like RFK stadium - and put the statue of George Preston Marshall back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: