Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 6,594 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to DC for a short summer internship and am living in a place just east of N Capitol between R.I. Ave NE and N.Y. Ave NE.

Is this neighborhood safe for a woman in her early 20s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 01:43 PM

228 posts, read 920,498 times
There's been a couple of shootings in that neighborhood this year, and muggings are not unheard of. Certainly not the worst neighborhood, but not the greatest. There are some nicer blocks around 1st and Q or R NE, but overall you would be safer on the west side of N Capitol, north of P Street.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:14 PM

658 posts, read 1,894,319 times
if you click on the CRIME tab and migrate around to find your area you can check on some of the crime-stats. I have been using it when scouting places to live.

Crime, Home Sales and Schools in DC, Maryland and Virginia - Local Explorer (washingtonpost.com)

Old 05-19-2008, 02:40 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,337 times
I think most people would objectively consider that neighborhood unsafe.

My friend just bought a house on the 100 block of Rhode Island NE, and the neighborhood is coming around slowly. But he's a 220 lb marine who walks his dobermans twice a day for everyone to see.

I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing my wife walked around there at night. Neither does he.

If you use common street sense, stay away from the public housing slums, and don't stumble from the metro after a night of boozing, you'll be fine.

Don't bring a nice car with you though.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM

25 posts, read 133,199 times
Its not a great place. I would be very wary after dark. If you come home late take a cab. That said, trouble tends to come to people who are looking for it, and you'll probably be ok if you are vigilant.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:32 PM

209 posts, read 984,873 times
The area is getting nicer and you do see young yuppie women jogging, shopping, walking around, etc (at least a few blocks west, across N. Capitol). Nonetheless it's not the nicest area. It really depends on the block, I think. Some seem very pleasant and well kept, others aren't.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
If you have a bit of street savvy and like to live in a developing area, it would be ok. It's changing now, but still has a problems here and there. About five years ago I watched two kids fight each other with snow shovels on Rhode Island and North Capitol, but don't think that's a normal occurrence.

But for a Summer intern coming from someplace else and not really knowing their way around, I would look for something closer to the Capitol (if that is where you are working).

Old 05-20-2008, 03:28 PM

230 posts, read 859,952 times
If you're here short-term, check out this place. It's in a safe neighborhood and close to two metro stations. It fills up quickly in the summer, though.

The Official Website of Thompson Markward Hall

Old 05-22-2008, 05:02 PM

6,747 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juju22 View Post
Is this neighborhood safe for a woman in her early 20s?
I don't know that it's safe for a professional kickboxer in his 30s. Seriously, look somewhere else.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 AM

228 posts, read 920,498 times
I get a little annoyed at the tone of some of these comments. Eckington is not a war zone. The area west of North Capitol isn't really more dangerous than U Street or Logan, and (to me) seems safer than many parts of Shaw. East of North Capitol things certainly take a step toward the sketchier side, but again there are many worse parts of DC. I've lived near 1st and W NW for six years, and have never had a problem with crime or safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: