Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That may be. Nonetheless, I know lots of folks who've lived in the area for decades.
Me too, BCD. But I think sometimes they are even reluctant to get too close to folks that they know will be moving in two or three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinSix View Post
I

A lot depends on your age. If you are in your 30s and moving here it's no different than moving other places in your 30s--people have a core group of friends, they have family, and they have commitments that make it hard to find the time to meet new people. No one would say 'I have enough friends already' but it's really more a lack of time.
I think this is very true. I'm a married gal in my early 30's (no kids) and my hubby and I moved here 3 years ago from across the country for work. We have had an extremely hard time making friends. I'd say in the past 3 years, we've made a few acquaintances, but no real friends. No one we could call up and go to a movie with, or invite to a birthday party. More acquaintances as in chat with them at work kind of thing and that's it. We have been searching for a sense of community and belonging in DC, but have yet to find it. We also rent, which also adds to the feelings of rootlessness and transience. I will say, though, that we love the DC area despite the difficult social situation!

I've found that most married couples we meet in their 30's are from here, or went to college here, or have some strong ties in the area. We have no ties to the area at all--no friends or family. It is very difficult, to say the least, not having anyone to spend holidays with here. I also feel that people already have their own friends, and definitely are too busy to make new ones! It's a very lonely place to be. Since it's already been three years, we don't really anticipate ever having a core group of friends here, which makes me sad. I don't even think it's feasible for me to make even one female friend! I've been trying hard to take the initiative when meeting new people, but it never goes anywhere. People generally already have their group of friends, and aren't looking to make more.

Also, I've joined social groups, but it's still difficult to make friends because it's rarely the same people at each new meeting/event. I need to find some sort of activity where it's the same group of people every time, but haven't yet come up with any ideas.

Last edited by Bass101; 04-14-2010 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM

136 posts, read 578,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I've found that most married couples we meet in their 30's are from here, or went to college here, or have some strong ties in the area. We have no ties to the area at all--no friends or family. It is very difficult, to say the least, not having anyone to spend holidays with here. I also feel that people already have their own friends, and definitely are too busy to make new ones! It's a very lonely place to be. Since it's already been three years, we don't really anticipate ever having a core group of friends here, which makes me sad. I don't even think it's feasible for me to make even one female friend! I've been trying hard to take the initiative when meeting new people, but it never goes anywhere. People generally already have their group of friends, and aren't looking to make more.
We are in our 30s, no kids, and have zero ties to the area, too. We have been here just about 2 years and while I wouldn't say we have made great friends with people but we do have some friends.

1. We go to the watch parties for our alma mater....
2. We actually met a couple of good friends that we have gone to the movies with because of Trivia night at our local bar.
3. I joined the local book club and met a couple of people through that.

These are just a couple of suggestions and maybe you have already tried them. I think when you are in your 30s without kids in any city it can be difficult to make friends.

Honestly, we are kind of homebodies and I think that makes it even more difficult to find friends.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I think the perception that everyone is transient has a bigger effect than the actual number of transient residents.

Sure there's the college kids, but any major city has those. Yes there's the capitol hill interns. Most of the rest, even if transient, are here for at least a few years, possibly for a decade or more. They're here long enough to form lasting friendships.

And really, there's nothing wrong with becoming friends with someone who's planning to move next year or the year after. I mean if you lived in Cincinnati you would have no guarantee that your friends won't move away.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I think this is very true. I'm a married gal in my early 30's (no kids) and my hubby and I moved here 3 years ago from across the country for work. We have had an extremely hard time making friends. I'd say in the past 3 years, we've made a few acquaintances, but no real friends. No one we could call up and go to a movie with, or invite to a birthday party. More acquaintances as in chat with them at work kind of thing and that's it. We have been searching for a sense of community and belonging in DC, but have yet to find it. We also rent, which also adds to the feelings of rootlessness and transience. I will say, though, that we love the DC area despite the difficult social situation!

Also, I've joined social groups, but it's still difficult to make friends because it's rarely the same people at each new meeting/event. I need to find some sort of activity where it's the same group of people every time, but haven't yet come up with any ideas.
They have those kickball leagues, etc that you get teams, so it will be the same people. Also, think about taking some kind of classes. The USDA Graduate school offers classes where the same people will show up again, learn a new language or something. It's in SW by the air and space museum.

Also, whatever school you went to probably has an alumni association here.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
They have those kickball leagues, etc that you get teams, so it will be the same people. Also, think about taking some kind of classes. The USDA Graduate school offers classes where the same people will show up again, learn a new language or something. It's in SW by the air and space museum.

Also, whatever school you went to probably has an alumni association here.
The class idea is very appealing, and I have done that in the past. I have found that it's mainly senior citizens in the classes I have taken, but maybe I need to take more things like yoga, etc. I have heard about that grad school you mentioned, thanks for reminding me of it!

I am a member of my local alumni association but it's mainly real young alums (early 20's) who go to all the events.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Terps View Post
It is especially difficult for professional black and Hispanic men. The whites and Asians in this town hate blacks and hispanics.
And How!

I honestly think they hate the professional Blacks and Latinos more than the Lower-Income Blacks and Latinos. Of course it won't be blatant in the interest of Political Correctness, but they'll make their hatred known to you in other ways.

And they say the South is the place where the whites get their panties in a wad about "uppity minorities."

And to all of you who brag about DC's "racial progressiveness," he's referring to "Young Professionals in the District," not "settled down families in Montgomery County and Northern Virginia."

Old 04-21-2010, 07:09 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Another great way of making friends: consider joining a small group through your chosen place of worship.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,985 times
I moved to DC 2 years ago, and have met some great people- but none that I would consider 'great' friends. I am 24, and find it hard to meet anyone who isn't interested in hooking up or dating. It's even harder to find good 'girlfriends' to call up and go to a movie with. I am in a committed relationship, and would rather hang out with people who are my age, or a little older. Everyone my age just seems to party all the time- i'm over it.

I joined a softball league last fall, and got along with the people great- but they only wanted to hit the bars....it's tougher than you think, being a younger to mid 20' something and making good friends...

Last edited by Rebalv42; 04-26-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,912 times
This makes me nervous! I am also 24 and moving to the DC area this summer. I am in a committed relationship as well, and would love to meet and make new good friends, but I'm kind of over the bar scene myself, def not interested in hooking up! Have you tried any of the social networking groups like meet in dc, or any of the young professional groups? I don't know how well those really work.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC