Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 01:46 PM

209 posts, read 984,873 times

Advertisements

Where will you be working? Even on the metro, a commute that requires a transfer will be a pain.

Outside the city, in Virginia, I'd suggest looking at Old Town Alexandria, Ballston/VA Square, Clarendon, Courthouse, Rosslyn. In Maryland Bethesda, Silver Spring and possibly Takoma Park would be okay.

Exactly what aspects of Capitol Hill are appealing to you? If it's the old rowhouses, I wouldn't suggest anywhere in the suburbs except Old Town. Most everything outside DC was built starting in the 1930s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM

847 posts, read 3,354,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeamama View Post
We are only staying for 2-3 years, which means we'll most likely only have to deal with one year of kindergarten. I have been told how horrible DC schools are. I figure we should be able to deal with stomaching pricey private or sub-prime public school for one-two years.

Which leads me to my next question- anyone have a good daycare suggestion? For the right preschool, I'd be willing to rent anywhere.

The problem with relying on private schools, even at a pre-school level, isn't necessarily the cost, but the waiting list. Just because you show up with a fist full of cash doesn't mean they're going to take your kid.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
By the way, have you considered AU Park? (American University Park). Elementary school, although part of DC system, is extremely highly ranked as parents are mega-involved. Also has some retail nearby, and is on the red line metro (Tenleytown).

Old 06-28-2008, 03:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
I live up off sixteenth street North of the White House. There are several nice neighborhood including DuPont Circle, Mt. Pleasant, Crestwood, 16th Street Heights, Colonial Village. As you move north away from downtown the neighborhoods tend to get more family oriented, and also have fewer rental units. I know there are a couple of houses in my neighborhood, Crestwood, for rent, but I don't know what they are renting for. Try doing a little research on the neighborhoods using Wikipedia. Most have pages.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:03 AM

8 posts, read 31,930 times
Exactly what aspects of Capitol Hill are appealing to you? If it's the old rowhouses, I wouldn't suggest anywhere in the suburbs except Old Town. Most everything outside DC was built starting in the 1930s.[/quote]

Biggest thing we're looking for is walkability and relatively short commute to downtown, character is a luxury we likely can't afford. How could we not love a rented old rowhouse where we don't have to pay for repairs?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:54 AM

209 posts, read 984,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeamama View Post
Biggest thing we're looking for is walkability and relatively short commute to downtown, character is a luxury we likely can't afford. How could we not love a rented old rowhouse where we don't have to pay for repairs?
Look at Del Ray in Alexandria as well. It's walkable, near a metro stop (Braddock Road) and has character. Might be a little too cutsie pie, but it depends on your tastes.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 PM

60 posts, read 449,469 times
I would check out Brookland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC