Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,565 times

Advertisements

I have 21 years of experience. I have good credit, never used drugs, don't get drunk, I have a couple of speeding tickets but that is it. For the vast majority of my career I have been a star performer. However, I have two nicks on my background.

1. I somehow got crosswise with my manager. He went from giving me the best review of my life to putting my on a PIP and firing me in just a few months. The problem is that all of his accusations were false. However, HR would not look at my paperwork showing that he was wrong. I have a dozen references at that company that can vouch for me. However, it still looks like I was fired for performance.

2. I worked for another company. They brought me in,, terminated my employment. I am not sure what they said was the reason. However, they gave me a full severance package and told the workforce commission that I was dismissed for no fault of my own. My boss did not want me to work there and it was obvious.

Will I be blocked by my background check?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,020 times
what about credit card debt? I have been making payments on time never once been late or deliquent on my payments but the debt is significant! will this prevent me from obtaining a government job? just received a tenantive offer. Please help?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abw1993 View Post
what about credit card debt? I have been making payments on time never once been late or deliquent on my payments but the debt is significant! will this prevent me from obtaining a government job? just received a tenantive offer. Please help?
It's not an issue if you've never been delinquent.

The most important thing about security clearances is that you're honest and upfront about everything. Most people lose their jobs by not being honest and not the actual issue.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,020 times
Thank You! I have never not once been deliquent! I was asked if I pay my creditors on time I said yes! Again, thank You it helps to easy some stress!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 AM

88 posts, read 116,147 times
1. Be honest about the reason on the form. You don't have to disclose details. The thing they look for is your honesty when it comes to negative info.

2. When they contact your employer that fired you, they can only confirm the dates you worked there. it's not like you put them down as a reference that allows them to provide additional information. All they could say is that you were terminated. The why of it is up to your disclosure only.

3. I had been fired once and it was on my background check for my first GS job. They didn't blink an eye. I put down the truth. In the interview, I was honest about what I was going through at the time. I got the job and have received 2 promotions since.

They expect us to all be human. It's your integrity they care about. you'll be fine.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:28 AM

88 posts, read 116,147 times
one note of caution about the credit card debt. Never being delinquent has always been the sounding block. however, in recent years, they have started taking debt and credit more seriously. people have had their clearances denied due to new info during the rechecks. I know of a handful of cases specifically of people I worked with who had their computer access pulled because their clearance was pulled during the 10 year re-investigation due to their credit/debt. They had so many months to clean it up before they would be let go.

the way you say "significant" amount raises a flag. If there's anything else they can add to that huge chunk of debt to paint a picture of risk on you, it's feasible that you could be denied. Such as, do you have DUIs, spend a lot of time in gambling cities, and drug issues in your past? A significant amount of debt, even if always making on time payments, will cause them to look twice as hard to ensure you aren't susceptible to compromise.

I don't mean to scare you, just giving you realistic info.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,795 times
My son-in-law was asked to call go for an interview with the USPO. Everything went well, but when the background check came back, he was I formed that he would not be hired becsuse he hasa suspended licence for no sit belt and no insurance. This in 2008 and we are now sept. 2015. I question the process. They should do the background check before they interview. Please help. Should my son-in-law appeal?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Tell the truth. Lying will get you fired.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lourdes Mendoza View Post
My son-in-law was asked to call go for an interview with the USPO. Everything went well, but when the background check came back, he was I formed that he would not be hired becsuse he hasa suspended licence for no sit belt and no insurance. This in 2008 and we are now sept. 2015. I question the process. They should do the background check before they interview. Please help. Should my son-in-law appeal?
He probably lied and said he hadn't been convicted of any crimes in the last 7 years. The actual crime isn't the issue but the fact that he lied on a federal government form is an issue and a criminal act itself.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
Hello I've applied for the county of riverside ca. and been waiting on this background check, it already been close to a month. Does anyone know why it's taking so long? The only bad things I got was traffic tickets and a suspended license but I'm applying for a office assistant job that won't matter right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC