Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 PM

15 posts, read 48,604 times

Advertisements

Hi there -

I'm looking at renting a house in the 1300 block of East Capitol...it's a great house, with a garage, and it's only a block from the Lincoln Park boundary. Just want to make sure that this area is safe. Thoughts?

--Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 AM

82 posts, read 433,769 times
I think that the answer depends on your tolerance for urban neighborhoods that have undergone or are undergoing significant change. The boundaries of Capitol Hill keep pushing eastward and while I would consider the 1300 block of East Cap fairly safe, statistically, you're going to experience more crime (mostly of the property theft flavor, some more personal) than areas closer to the Capitol grounds. That said, I jog in that area alone (w/ my dog) in the evenings and never feel uncomfortable. I also have friends who live nearby and even further east. I recommend you sub to the Hill East listserv and perhaps connect w/ a few people in the neighborhood.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:37 AM

470 posts, read 2,096,069 times
You'll be fine. 15 years ago it was a war zone, but times have changed. there are people jogging and walking their dogs in that park from 5:30 am well into the evening.

Heck my friends used to hang out and drink there, so I guess we were the riff-raff of the neighborhood.

Just be aware at night, as always, especially if you're walking home at night from eastern market or potomac metro.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 AM

15 posts, read 48,604 times
Thanks. We've been living in a Philly neighborhood that just turned in the past few years so we're used to a little grit. Just wondering if the extra space/garage of this house east of Lincoln Park is worth it.

We're also looking at a house in the 1000 block of Independence SE and a place in the 300 block of 3rd. I'm a little nervous about the parking there tho...while I'm used to circling the block a few times in Philly now, I want to at least believe there's a chance of finding a space! Can anyone attest to the parking in these areas? Thanks!

Chris

Old 07-11-2008, 09:18 AM

470 posts, read 2,096,069 times
3rd will be difficult. There's a lot of commercial activity there and you're really close to the capitol south metro. It's a great location, but yeah parking will be kind of a hassle every now and then.

On independence you'll have absolutely no problem. I parked my car on Indy between 11th and 12th for years, and it was all fine unless i drove home after 10 pm or so. even then i never had to park more than a couple blocks away (to the south).

Just remember to get a zone residential sticker as soon as you can, because the parking authority is all over that area.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:24 AM

82 posts, read 433,769 times
One thing to keep in mind about Indy: it's one way and therefore MD'ers sometimes regard it as their own personal racetrack home. It's a nice location, but it's definitely a higher traffic street. 300 block of 3rd SE? I've been parking near that location all summer while we renovate a house. It's definitely tighter than the 1000 Independence, but I always find a spot w/in a block or two, even right after work.

As far as whether the space is worth it: I have a gated drive and I park on the street about 75% of the time despite having to drive to work in McLean for the last 18 months. However, it's definitely a nice convenience when loading or unloading the car and I tend to leave my car in the drive on the weekends. In 7+ years, I've had my window broken exactly once, when, like a moron, I left all my bagged drycleaning on the seat.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:25 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
300 3rd NE or SE? SE would have a lot more food options and the subway.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:12 AM

209 posts, read 984,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternMkt View Post
In 7+ years, I've had my window broken exactly once, when, like a moron, I left all my bagged drycleaning on the seat.
What a strange thing to steal. Is there a big black market for clothes?

Last time I was in Capitol Hill I noticed there was a huge change in the zoned parking rules that made it very difficult for non-residents to park. It was the strictest I've ever seen, not the standard 2 hour, 7 AM - 6:30 PM situation. That might help the parking availability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC