Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 02:03 PM

142 posts, read 538,555 times

Advertisements

I need to foreclose on my condo in DC at which I currently have tenants and can't wait until the end of their lease. How much notice must I give them? Is there anything else I need to do or be aware of? I've heard there are some quirky things about DC real estate law and that it heavily favors tenants. Could they sue me for breaking a contract? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 44,591 times
Default Foreclose?

Are you saying you're the condo's owner, subject to a lien, and you need to default on the lien's loan, presumably leading your creditor to foreclose on your condo? If you're in that situation, you need a lawyer, not a message board.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM

658 posts, read 1,895,469 times
I agree with the lawyer. I had a woman in the house that I own and rent that refused to leave..that was a nightmare getting her out. You could still show some courtesy and let them know that they are going have to move out by a certain date, so that they will have time to find a place etc. Most people (I use that term loosely) will understand and move out, but if you drop a bomb and give them a few days to get out you might end up with a disaster.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:54 PM

470 posts, read 2,097,342 times
Yeah, they could sue you for breach of contract.

DC law heavily favors tenants, mainly because there are a lot more tenants than there are landlords on Election Day.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,718,032 times
I'd just explain the financial situation you're in to the tenants as quickly as possible.

This could be very serious - they may be understanding if you say "I have no money. I'm losing this place." and give them enough time to get out. I mean - **** happens.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:28 AM

209 posts, read 985,297 times
Definitely give them a lot of time to move out. Maybe cut some breaks on the rent as well, if that's possible. Be as accomodating as you can because you are probably on the wrong side of the law.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM

209 posts, read 985,297 times
This is a few months old, but I wanted to follow up with this page from the DC city website: DC Law Protects Tenants During Foreclosures - Releases - Office of the Tenant Advocate

The lease actually survives foreclosure so you cannot evict them (and neither can the new owners). This page comes up when you search Google for DC foreclosure tenant law so it's worth updating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC