Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,949 times

Advertisements

I am moving to take a job in Fairfax and would like to live in Centreville in a rented townhouse. I will be making $75K/yr, and would like to have a 2bed/1+bath in a safe neighborhood. My credit isn't the greatest, but do ALWAYS pay my bills, sometimes just 2 months at a time. Have stopped this bad habit, but credit has rebounded yet.

I would greatly appreciate some honest ideas on where to look and other living in DC suggestions that you might have. Please, no suggestions on paying my bills every month, not every two months - I KNOW.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 02:27 PM

26,706 posts, read 41,859,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols515 View Post
I am moving to take a job in Fairfax and would like to live in Centreville in a rented townhouse. I will be making $75K/yr, and would like to have a 2bed/1+bath in a safe neighborhood. My credit isn't the greatest, but do ALWAYS pay my bills, sometimes just 2 months at a time. Have stopped this bad habit, but credit has rebounded yet.

I would greatly appreciate some honest ideas on where to look and other living in DC suggestions that you might have. Please, no suggestions on paying my bills every month, not every two months - I KNOW.

Thanks in advance.
My advice is to find a privately rented TH and do some negoatiating. Private renters are usually much more sympathetic towards tenants with bad credit.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,949 times
I appreciate that bit of advice. What way is best in finding for rent or lease by owner townhouses? I have ( and still do as not moving until December ) lived in Missouri for the past 15 years and have owned my own house for 10, with no need of searching for housing to rent.

From what I have seen on craigslist, it is mostly communities and I can't seem to tell who is an individual and who is marketing their community vacancies.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:11 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,859,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnichols515 View Post
I appreciate that bit of advice. What way is best in finding for rent or lease by owner townhouses? I have ( and still do as not moving until December ) lived in Missouri for the past 15 years and have owned my own house for 10, with no need of searching for housing to rent.

From what I have seen on craigslist, it is mostly communities and I can't seem to tell who is an individual and who is marketing their community vacancies.
homesdatabase.com

Old 10-13-2008, 06:24 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,361,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
My advice is to find a privately rented TH and do some negoatiating. Private renters are usually much more sympathetic towards tenants with bad credit.
Yes, but the flip side of this is that a private landlord might be more spooked by bad credit in a prospective renter. Whereas, a larger management company may have 20 units to fill and would be more inclined to take a risk in order to get one of those unit producing income.

All in all, I do not think the OP will have a tough time finding a rental with that income, credit score notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC