Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:48 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,172 times

Advertisements

Especially jobs that offer liveable wages. I don't think you could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 10:11 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,863 times
Wouldn't that also be true of most major cities these days: New York, San Fran, Boston, Chicago.
You could afford to live in Detroit if you worked at McDonald's but that is not anything to aspire to.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 AM

30 posts, read 61,740 times
I would venture to guess that the chances are lower in DC because most gov't jobs here have an education requirement. But, that doesn't mean you can't get a job here, or anywhere. College isn't meant for everyone, and I know plenty of people excelling without a degree.

But yeah, if you show up in DC with no skillset, not knowing any trade, no value other than being able to speak english, you'll have a tough time here, and everywhere.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseysbest View Post
I would venture to guess that the chances are lower in DC because most gov't jobs here have an education requirement. But, that doesn't mean you can't get a job here, or anywhere. College isn't meant for everyone, and I know plenty of people excelling without a degree.

But yeah, if you show up in DC with no skillset, not knowing any trade, no value other than being able to speak english, you'll have a tough time here, and everywhere.
Not necessarily. A lot of GS 4 and 5 positions only require the specialized experience which can be gotten from other jobs. (Trust me, I apply for at least 5 GS-5 positions every week.) From there you can work your way up, with experience. Education can be substituted for experience but not required. Your chances are better if you enlisted in the military right after HS and did the full 4 years since you get the veterans preference. Same thing with the peace corps.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM

27,556 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Default Can You Get a Job in DC With no College Degree or Education?

Yes, you can get a job without a college degree. But I wouldn't recommend going that route.

The COL and marketplace competition in the DC area is such that you would be facing an uphill battle in many areas of life if you don't have at least a bachelors degree.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:46 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Especially jobs that offer liveable wages. I don't think you could.
Depends on what you call a liveable wage. I know middle/upper middle class people who make 60k a year and think they are paupers. Then again I know low class people who grew up in the hood or are recent immigrants, and would love to make 60k a year. It all depends on what you are used to.

Also remember that the majority of Americans don't have higher education (bachelor's degree or higher). People say that it's hard to 'make it' without a degree, but what has the majority of our population been doing with their lives then? Are they not 'making it?'

Old 05-27-2012, 09:56 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
As someone else said, things like military experience can help. A lot of police departments around here take applicants without degrees if they have four years of military service (sometimes two). But you'd be competing against applicants with four year degrees, and applicants with two year degrees and military service, and applicants with four year degrees AND military service.

As for feeling like a pauper making 60K a year, if you have a family then yes that's pretty low in this area. Alone or with only a significant other? It's fine.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:06 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,133,134 times
I have a particular skill set that would land me upwards a 6 figure income with the fed. I've lived in and around the DC area my whole life. I have some age on me now, so back in the day those skills where much more important than a degree with little skill and especially experience. I own a home in Fairfax just outside of DC. I do not have a college degree, but certifications instead. However, being young without experience and no degree, would not be a cake walk what so ever.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
As someone else said, things like military experience can help. A lot of police departments around here take applicants without degrees if they have four years of military service (sometimes two). But you'd be competing against applicants with four year degrees, and applicants with two year degrees and military service, and applicants with four year degrees AND military service.

As for feeling like a pauper making 60K a year, if you have a family then yes that's pretty low in this area. Alone or with only a significant other? It's fine.
Family isn't necessarily a factor in them feeling like paupers. Most people I know who are low class have families, and they make significantly less than 60k a year. To them making 60k a year would be a step up. Plus, these folks live in the ghetto/hood (as in undesirable) areas of the DMV. They live in places an upper/middle class person would loathe to live in, and their children go to the bad schools. Again it all depends on what one is used to.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,037 times
Yes and I am proof. I make great money and live well. As long as you have marketable skills, a degree is not required.

True story, the person who held my job before me had a Masters in Internet Marketing from some stupid online college and couldn't even figure out how to post to Facebook. A degree does not automatically mean you have any idea what you are doing.

I learned an MBA's worth of knowledge by working closely with my boss in my last job and have always been a voracious learner. Sure if you are a couch-surfing loser without a degree you might have some trouble but if you are motivated, intelligent and determined, you can do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC