Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 03:42 PM

9 posts, read 26,745 times

Advertisements

Hello. I would like to know what anyone thinks D.C. has to offer for guys in their thirties. Currently, I live in Cleveland, am a 34 year old attorney practicing in employment law, who likes to run, hates dance clubs and literally can't watch sports for more than ten minutes. I am having another one of my "what the heck I am still doing here days" where I run through the list of the dozens of friends who have moved from here. I basically want to here from some folks living in D.C. as to whether or not D.C. has job opportunities, social events, an atmosphere where a "transplant" can meet people and single women over 30 who don't drink twenty beers in a sitting, but also don't want to discuss possible names for your future kids on the first date (yes, I have experienced both of those in 2009 in Cleveland). I guess I am looking for a place where new life opportunities are available if you are willing to go out ad look for them and I think if I wait too may more years I am going to be stuck in Cleveland forever. Any information on what D.C. is like for single thirty four year old men would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,520 times
You'd probably do just fine. DC has a pretty wide range of people, and in terms of both career and dating, there are lots of opportunities.

Plus, we have a glaring shortage of lawyers here.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post

Plus, we have a glaring shortage of lawyers here.
Seriously, there are a ton of lawyers here who take jobs under their degree just to get one. DC is great but why do you think DC is your perfect fit verses somewhere else (San Diego, Seattle, Chicago, etc..)

Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
Washington should have what you are looking for. The big adjustment you'd have if you moved here would be the cost of living, especially the cost of housing.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 PM

9 posts, read 26,745 times
D.C. is one of a few possible choices. I am under the impression that there is a good amount of culture there, winter without the brutality of a Cleveland winter and, most importantly, the possibility of finding a job where I can use my law degree and experience WITHOUT having to necessarily work for a law firm. Most everyone in Cleveland is the same... born here, love sports, never exercise, will die here. In short, I feel like I have set myself on a set course for partnership, marriage, kids, season Browns tickets and watching t.v. on the couch. D.C. seems like it might provide me with some options and I miss that feeling that the best is yet to come, like when you graduate college.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius88 View Post
D.C. is one of a few possible choices. I am under the impression that there is a good amount of culture there, winter without the brutality of a Cleveland winter and, most importantly, the possibility of finding a job where I can use my law degree and experience WITHOUT having to necessarily work for a law firm. Most everyone in Cleveland is the same... born here, love sports, never exercise, will die here. In short, I feel like I have set myself on a set course for partnership, marriage, kids, season Browns tickets and watching t.v. on the couch. D.C. seems like it might provide me with some options and I miss that feeling that the best is yet to come, like when you graduate college.
DC sounds like a good fit!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM

76 posts, read 150,802 times
Default Come to DC as soon as possible!

Sounds to me like you would fit in beautifully in and love it here. DC has a massive population of highly educated people of all sorts and there are zillions of things to do and places to meet people here. Plus the subway here is terrific, there are countless museums and things to do for free, and while the cost of living is high, it's not nearly as bad as New York. Also, you can take the bus to NYC from DC for just $40 for a ROUND TRIP!

DC is never boring. And while the job situation sucks everywhere right now, in DC the job opportunities are usually as good as you'll find anywhere in the country. There are brilliant people from all over the world in DC. There are countless organizations to join, countless free lectures all over town, countless free events at the many embassies in town, and many single 30-somethings here. I don't think you could find a better city to meet someone in.

As far as where to live in DC, I would think you will find more folks like yourself close-in, in areas like Dupont Circle, Cleveland Park (or any place along Connecticut Avenue), Foggy Bottom, or maybe Capitol Hill. Or in suburbs like Bethesda MD (which is surprisingly cool and chock-a-block with intellectuals) or Arlington VA (around Clarendon).

Last edited by Hephaestion; 05-29-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:20 AM

519 posts, read 688,428 times
I moved to DC from Cincinnati, so I feel your pain. It sounds like DC is exactly what you're looking for. From what i've experienced so far, if you want it, it can be found in DC.

Good Luck!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:06 PM

6,708 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Ramius88, you sound like a perfect fit for DC.

It's a brainy town, we have sports fans, but they go to work and forget about sports by Monday, nothing like Pittsburgh/Cleveland/Buffalo.

There are ton of single people in their 30s, especially in the city and Arlington.

It's a lawyers' paradise.

We get some snow, but a fraction of what Cleveland gets. By early-mid March trees start to bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC