Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:53 PM

5 posts, read 30,802 times

Advertisements

I am going up to DC this week for an interview for a job that I am pretty sure I will get. The salary range is between $37 grand and $48 grand. I'm thinking that I will fall somewhere in the middle of that range and I am curious if it will be enough to live.

I am 24 years old, go out maybe 2 or 3 times a week. I'm going to try to leave my car here in Dallas and just use public transportation up there. I'm not concerned about living in a cool neighborhood either, or even living directly in DC for that matter, just want to live near a metro line that will allow me easy access to DC.

I will be enrolling in grad school (part-time) as well, so that will probably tack on a maybe $5000 or more extra for the year.

Would I be able to find housing and live without being in a "making ends meet" situation with around $40,000? It sounds like a ton of money to me, but I know that I am thinking in Dallas dollars.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:00 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,721,309 times
Would you be open to roommates or renting a room in a shared house? If so, your budget is doable. If you want to live alone then it'll be harder. To find an affordable apartment you'd have to look in either a less-than-desirable (probably unsafe) area or live further out (which would require a car).

Old 10-06-2009, 02:03 PM

I would definitely be able to live in a shared house. That is an option that I think could be fun.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,714,087 times
A LOT of people live in DC on non-profit salaries that are less than what you'll be making.

You won't have the lap-of-luxury life, but you'll do fine and be able to go out comfortably, especially if you're willing to do shared housing.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,721,309 times
I've known several people who have done group houses and really liked it. It's also really helpful when you first move and don't know anyone, since you've got de facto people to hang out with. Like Bluefly said, it won't be lap-of-luxury, but you'll be fine.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 PM

209 posts, read 985,129 times
If you move into a group house, you'll be just fine.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 PM

Ok thanks y'all. When you say a group house, are you guys referring to a group house in DC or in the suburbs?? Thanks again.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:55 PM

265 posts, read 1,064,216 times
There are group houses in the city AND the burbs. This whole area is expensive (especially in areas that are better in terms of crime, Metro access, etc.). In addition, when you are new to an area, it can be a real plus to have someone to talk to and get some tipcs, if you pick a housemate or housemates whom you think you would like--talk habits and preferences thoroughly beforehand. If possible pick the grad school first and then decide on a location as convenient as possible to job and/or school. While the cost of living here is expensive, there are lots of free events and things to do. Ability to do some walking or biking will also help your budget.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,714,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwew View Post
Ok thanks y'all. When you say a group house, are you guys referring to a group house in DC or in the suburbs?? Thanks again.
I'd definitely go with a house in the city. You'll pay about $600 - $900 a month and be right in the heart of all the nightlife, culture, restaurants, theatres, etc... It's really a great city - perhaps one of the most underrated in terms of vibrant, cosmopolitan nightlife with a touch of European flair (let's face it - no one thinks to call DC for a good time, but there's a lot going on).

There's really no point to being young and not living in the city itself. You'd be miserable in the 'burbs (maybe Arlington would work, but it's so homogenous that it grows stale quickly). If you pay attention, the people who constantly gripe about DC on this forum are the ones who get stuck in the miserable commute everyday and live so far removed from the culture for which they are ostensibly paying that it's understandably not worth the high cost they're paying. Don't be that person.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Lol..."Don't be that person."

Thanks so much for all of y'all's input. I'm definitely thinking of finding a group house within the city. It will be a big money-saver and provide instant friends as well.

Are the group houses located throughout most of the DC neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC