Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 AM

437 posts, read 1,229,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Orange, Blue, Yellow, and soon Silver lines all serve Fairfax County.
True, but Fairfax is still underserved by Metrorail when compared to other counties/cities in the region. I think that was the point. The blue and yellow lines have one station each (barely) in Fairfax Co. and the orange line has only three. The silver line will add more stations too. But compared to the other jurisdictions in the area, Fairfax doesn't have many stations - Arlington, Montgomery and PG all have a bunch of stations each in comparison.

Part of this is that Fairfax does not border DC of course. Metrobus also serves a lot of Fairfax well. But there's not much Metrorail service in Fairfax County right now, and even when the silver line is done it will still be under-represented considering the closeness to DC and its population size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
I see what your saying but, buses in Prince George's County doesn't seem to run as late as buses in Montgomery. And buses seem to cover more area than PG. The only downfall in that is Mont. Co's crime is getting worse.
I'm not sure, Metrobus seems to run pretty late. Again "The Bus" is a very small service compared to RideOn or Farifax Connector that just serves as a comploment to Metrobus. Remember Montgomery county's population extends well into the county far beyond the Metro stations, plus there's a huge gap between the Red Line branches, and Metrobuses are more or run between stations, so RideOn is neccesary to fill these large numbers of unserved communities. PG County is relatively very narrow, and has 4 Metro branches instead of just 2 so most of the poplulation lies within the range of Metrobus routes, so "The Bus" isn't all that neccesary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornindc View Post
True, but Fairfax is still underserved by Metrorail when compared to other counties/cities in the region. I think that was the point. The blue and yellow lines have one station each (barely) in Fairfax Co. and the orange line has only three. The silver line will add more stations too. But compared to the other jurisdictions in the area, Fairfax doesn't have many stations - Arlington, Montgomery and PG all have a bunch of stations each in comparison.

Part of this is that Fairfax does not border DC of course. Metrobus also serves a lot of Fairfax well. But there's not much Metrorail service in Fairfax County right now, and even when the silver line is done it will still be under-represented considering the closeness to DC and its population size.
Yep, that's exactly what I was saying.

Prince George's-15 Metro stations
Montgomery-12
Arlington-11
Fairfax-5
Alexandria-4
DC-a lot

Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 AM

437 posts, read 1,229,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
eh... while that would be cool and relatively easy to do (no one objects with metro stations in the middle of highways), it wouldn't do much of anything to encourage transit oriented development around there. Also, being a car-attracting station wouldn't be a great option since 395 is so close to the blue and yellow line. I don't think it could draw from enough ridership to make it viable. Honestly I feel like a metro line going along Columbia Pike would make the most sense for something like that. In any case, the streetcar line along CP would become somewhat obsolete from a metro line going down 395. It would make more sense to ride feeder buses to whatever line that would be called instead of taking the pike the whole way to pentagon station or wherever that would terminate.
Points well taken. Springfield Metro is usually packed and so are the orange line stations out I-66. There is a huge population between these two lines and I think there's no chance that a rail line out in that direction would suffer from low ridership (Rt. 236 or Braddock Rd.). It would in fact help take some of the overload that the Blue line and Orange line now has (and will have with the Silver line even more).

Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post

Yep, that's exactly what I was saying.

Prince George's-15 Metro stations
Montgomery-12
Arlington-11
Fairfax-5
Alexandria-4
DC-a lot
I knew that. I was just reminding you of the yellow, which you forgot to mention, and threw in the future silver line for good measure. I wonder how many stations the silver line will have in Fairfax?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 PM

220 posts, read 704,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I wonder how many stations the silver line will have in Fairfax?
8/9 stations:
-Route 28
-Herndon-Monroe
-Reston Parkway
-Wiehle Avenue
-Wolf Trap (Pending, metro might infill a station there at a later date)
-Tysons West
-Tysons Central 7
-Tysons Central 123
-Tysons East

Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Street Car transit is already on the way to the District: New DC Street Cars On The Way | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |

Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Street Car transit is already on the way to the District: New DC Street Cars On The Way | WUSA9.com | Washington, DC |
...and the first streetcar line goes between two places where nobody lives. Awesome!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
...and the first streetcar line goes between two places where nobody lives. Awesome!
if you go to H street/Benning Rd in NE you can see the tracks already layed down in the pavement. but I think its a waste of money. I meanwho needs a streetcar that goes from Union Station to Oklahoma ave. The X2 already had that route covered. Pretty much every possible logical route I can think of is already served by a bus route. I just dont see how this is gonna work out. Drivers in this area are already too aggresive. I dont think people are going to have patience to give a right away to streetcars, what worked in DC back in the 60's and before most definitely wont work today. If you ask me, an elevated train would have been better.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
[quote=DCnative1990;11676767]if you go to H street/Benning Rd in NE you can see the tracks already layed down in the pavement. but I think its a waste of money. [/quote]

At least people actually live/go out in that corridor, which is more than I can say for the Anacostia line.

In addition to less-frequent stops and greater capacity than the bus, the streetcars will have signal priority at all intersections, making for a shorter commute.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:30 AM

[quote=14thandYou;11677037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
if you go to H street/Benning Rd in NE you can see the tracks already layed down in the pavement. but I think its a waste of money. [/quote]

At least people actually live/go out in that corridor, which is more than I can say for the Anacostia line.

In addition to less-frequent stops and greater capacity than the bus, the streetcars will have signal priority at all intersections, making for a shorter commute.
yea i can agree on that. but that anacostia line is useless. in the future its suppose to go from Bolling AFB to Minnesota Ave station I believe, but that won't be for another decade. Originally I think the street car route would've used the abandoned CSX tracks that run from Anacostia to Minnesota Ave but there was some dispute on who owned that track. If that problem would've gotten resolved it would have took very little construction to build that line and it would have been longer. I kinda like that idea, like a green line-orange line shortcut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: