Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,396 posts, read 13,464,669 times

Advertisements

What can I expect? I was tossing up the idea whether to go back to the D.C. area in December or January. Landed on December. How is the "tourist" season this time of year? I won't be expecting snow. I heard that the real snow comes in January?

I was here for the first time in October, you might remember me posting. Looking for an even better time in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 AM

228 posts, read 922,021 times
It's not the tourist season, so monuments and museums should be easy to access. You'll get to see some nice sights, like the White House Christmas tree and lots of Christmas decorations throughout the city. The Kennedy Center will probably have holiday-related programming. One disadvantage is that it gets dark at about 4:30pm, so your daylight hours for outdoor activities are fairly short. You can still expect a few "nice" Fall days in early December, but temperatures are more typically hovering around 40 F during the month. All in all it should be a good time to visit if you dress warmly!

Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 AM

741 posts, read 2,784,790 times
It's very quiet usually. It doesn't snow that often but its real nice when it does.

Lately we've had a lot of rain....

Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 PM

188 posts, read 671,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post

Lately we've had a lot of rain....

yeah i know, whats up with that

snow definitely comes around January.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:10 PM

14 posts, read 75,975 times
December's a great time to see DC as a tourist because there aren't many here that time of year. Weatherwise, it normally doesn't snow in December and if it does, it's only here long enough to look nice in the morning and melts by the end of the day. Typical temperatures are in the 40s & 50s, though it can dip into the 30s overnight. Would bring a raincoat or umbrella if it rains. The National Christmas Tree will be up soon, so that's a lot of fun to check out...it's next to the White House.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Yeah, I did the tourist thing in DC in October. Still haven't seen everything, but my 2nd trip to the area is mostly for a different purpose. Def. stop by the White House for the Xmas tree.

I'll enjoy my time regardless of weather, just hope it doesn't rain much. I will likely be back in Jan. or Feb, so maybe I'll get snow then. I've been monitoring the weather, it looks like the rain may or may not slow down by next week.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,362,001 times
October and early-November (and maybe Cherry Blossom season in mid-April) are definitely the bes times to visit DC. But because so many of the tourist attractions (the museums!!) involve being inside, there is really no bad time to be here. If you already visited the city in October, then you already experienced the best weather (although this October was not as nice as others I have experienced in DC). Now you can get down to business and explore the museums that you missed the first time around. I definitely agree with posters that say January is more winter-like than December (which has many days that still feel like the late Fall that it is).

Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM

So,... I've been reading about snow in the area today and tomorrow? I'm coming on the 10th.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
So,... I've been reading about snow in the area today and tomorrow? I'm coming on the 10th.
Yeah it'll be gone by the 10th though sorry. Yeah late January and february are the best times to see snow in the DC area but even then there's no guarantee. Really and truly you still have to go a little further north to really see a lot of snow.

Honestly I think DC has terrible winters because it's bitterly cold but you don't get any snow out of it. April and May are really the best time to come up and well you saw a little bit of the leaves when you were up here in October though which is also a good time to come up because of the leaves.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 PM

Yeah, I understand that. I actually think I would like the weather in D.C. compared to Chicago. I've seen many winters there. Yup, I loved the weather in D.C. back in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC