Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 PM

220 posts, read 704,433 times

Advertisements

lol DC hasn't had any real snow since the 90's. I remember in 1996 its snowed so much that the metro trains we're closed and there was about 2-3 feet of snow outside. Now thats a real winter. But for some odd reason DC has such mild winters nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
yeah i know, whats up with that

snow definitely comes around January.
Apparently; DC winters are becoming warmer compared to when I was there 30+ years ago (I am a native) so, snow is becoming more hit or miss. Hell; SE DC is now Climate Zone 8..........which allows certain species of palm trees.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 PM

414 posts, read 907,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Apparently; DC winters are becoming warmer compared to when I was there 30+ years ago (I am a native) so, snow is becoming more hit or miss. Hell; SE DC is now Climate Zone 8..........which allows certain species of palm trees.

Well, It is getting a bit warmer, and in the city it is a zone 8 now, but overall its not THAT much warmer. There are a couple varieties of Palms that have survived here for at least the last 50 years. Recently (in the last 20 years or so) people have discovered that Windmill palms do very well here as well. In fact there are quite a few in places around the metropolitan area. There is a prominent one that is about 15-20 feet tall in front of the National Air and Space museum, along with many of the other two varieties (shrub like) that have survived here for much much longer. Needle Palms and Sabal Minor are not that uncommon in the DC area anymore, and they can handle quite cold conditions. Needle Palms down to -5F or so, and Sabal Minor down to 5-10F or so. Windmills are also hardy down to about 5-10 F or so. Windmill Palms are the only arborescent (trunking/ tree like) plams that will live in the DC area.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:00 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
DC hasn't had any real snow since the 90's.
Ehrm, no. The Presidents' Day Blizzard of 2003

Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times
I'm reading up on possible snow showers this weekend? Can a resident provide anything on this?

Either way, I'm content. I understand very well that Virginia / D.C. weathers are different than something like Chicago. I don't know how people who live here feel, but I should be moving to the area and think I'd like that kind. I was in Chicago snow twice last year, and loved it, but it's always nice for a slight change.

Anyway, you all have been helpful in providing the facts. This board really is good place. Just got potentially excited when I saw "snow showers" for Dec 12 & 13th on the radar right now.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 AM

188 posts, read 670,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1990 View Post
lol DC hasn't had any real snow since the 90's. I remember in 1996 its snowed so much that the metro trains we're closed and there was about 2-3 feet of snow outside. Now thats a real winter. But for some odd reason DC has such mild winters nowadays.
That was the bombest winter. Totally made my childhood. I'm pretty sure everyone on the east coast felt that one.

It snowed on Saturday! And yes it looks like snow this weekend too. Very lucky for us! Usually it comes after New Years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC