Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times

Advertisements

Through the first 4 months of the year, city-wide total is 29 compared to 39 last year, west of the Anacostia remains quiet (again just counting actual homicides, not shootings) - just 9 in the official count, a pace for 27, way down from about 70 last year

Carver Langston and Trinidad combined have had one, this could go up easily with another summer flare-up

while gentrification is playing a role in certain areas, again have to acknowledge Chief Lanier for a remarkable drop that is not being seen in other cities - including nearby places like Richmond, Balt, and Philly - all of which have homicide rates per 100,000 higher than ours now - Baltimore's rate is nearly double ours now, and was actually lower than DC's in the 90s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
while gentrification is playing a role in certain areas, again have to acknowledge Chief Lanier for a remarkable drop that is not being seen in other cities
I agree. I may have qualms with some aspects of District government, but the MPD is doing a fine job.

I'd still be shocked if DC ended the year with a homicide rate under 100, but there's no question that DC is top-to-bottom becoming a safer city.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 AM

290 posts, read 634,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Through the first 4 months of the year, city-wide total is 29 compared to 39 last year, west of the Anacostia remains quiet (again just counting actual homicides, not shootings) - just 9 in the official count, a pace for 27, way down from about 70 last year

Carver Langston and Trinidad combined have had one, this could go up easily with another summer flare-up

while gentrification is playing a role in certain areas, again have to acknowledge Chief Lanier for a remarkable drop that is not being seen in other cities - including nearby places like Richmond, Balt, and Philly - all of which have homicide rates per 100,000 higher than ours now - Baltimore's rate is nearly double ours now, and was actually lower than DC's in the 90s
Question for you, where do you find the homicide stats on D.C.'s MPD site? I couldn't find it.

That said, this sounds like a remarkable (if quiet) development. It's interesting how from time to time I STILL come across (usually older) people who go on about DC being all about "Dysfunctional City", Mayor Barry, crack and the "murder capital of the US" as if nothing has changed since 1990. Sure, the city still has plenty of issues but hopefully the perceptions that were so quickly slapped on DC in the past and have been so slow to change are finally starting to turn and credit can be given where it's deserved.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
I don't think the lack of murders is any indication of a lack of trying. There haven't been any murders around me, but there hasn't been a month without gunfire. We're just seeing a lower quality thug in my neighborhood anyway.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:12 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
There haven't been any murders around me, but there hasn't been a month without gunfire.
Yeah, well, welcome to Shaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC