Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 10,741 times

Advertisements

I see your true colors shining through...

Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM

207 posts, read 963,747 times
^ Wow... And someone called ME racist? That is just extreme. I have no problem dealing with the people in DC, I'm looking forward to it as an enriching and eye-opening experience, I was just expressing some concerns that I imagine are common when moving to the city.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:21 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I have no idea who either of you are referring to.

@Socstudent I think I came off harshly. Yes, moving to DC will be an eye-opening experience to you. Try and leave your prejudices at the door (or airport gate, or train station :P). Don't be ashamed we all have them to an extent. But I think you'll find that as you spend more time here, you'll "get used" to being in a diverse area.

Best thing is the variety of food available here. There are also a lot of immigrants that live here, in fact if you take a taxi I'd bet 9 out of 10 times he's an immigrant. Always interesting to hear their story.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:34 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
I don't mean to sound racist but this is exactly the kind of thing that worries me the most about having to move to DC. I come from a very small, very white New England town and the thought of being around so many different kinds of people makes me uncomfortable. I likely wouldn't leave my apartment if something like this was going on. I know it's just ignorant paranoia but it's going to be such a hard adjustment for me just because of where I am used to living. I also feel especially vulnerable being a young female, is it illegal to carry mace with you in DC?
Think of it like the first day of school. That was scary too, but after a while you'll go back home and find it boring and homogeneous compared to DC.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgrrrl View Post
Information about the march on Sunday is here:

[url=http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/march-index/url]

It's not necessary to be so rude when people are working hard to improve the lives of others. I think you created this entire post just to make a snarky comment about others. So I'd watch it if I were you when calling someone else Racist.
Amen to that catgrrrl. Whites in Washington are so oppressed by all the racist brown people.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:59 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Sorry for people who tell me not to move there, I'm coming anyway because I'm attending school there. Guess they'll just have to deal with me
Sure, we'll deal with you the same way we deal with others like you who come to the big city and act frightened and paranoid: we'll ignore you. We've got too many other things going on to concern ourselves with some paranoid woman from Ruralopolis who thinks everyone is going to attack her.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:24 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
Pro Illegal Immigrant?

REALLY? REALLY?

Who on EARTH could be in SUPPORT of people openly wantonly breaking the law? Millions of law-breakers....not just a hand-full...

Wow....PRO Illegal Immigration.....FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.....Go out to the lands South of Tuscon and see what it's ACTUALLY like you dizzy belt-way mongrels...you self-serving sycophant snobs............pro illegal....what a crock! Are you afraid that someone will discover the cheap maid you're "banging" doesn't have papers?

Something stinks in the Kingdom on the Potomac...(oh wait...WE already knew THAT)

Old 03-18-2010, 06:53 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Pro Illegal Immigrant?

REALLY? REALLY?
No. Not really.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Pro Illegal Immigrant?

REALLY? REALLY?

Who on EARTH could be in SUPPORT of people openly wantonly breaking the law? Millions of law-breakers....not just a hand-full...

Wow....PRO Illegal Immigration.....FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION.....Go out to the lands South of Tuscon and see what it's ACTUALLY like you dizzy belt-way mongrels...you self-serving sycophant snobs............pro illegal....what a crock! Are you afraid that someone will discover the cheap maid you're "banging" doesn't have papers?

Something stinks in the Kingdom on the Potomac...(oh wait...WE already knew THAT)
I'm all for it.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought non-white people were going to attack me all the time, frankly being female I just assume everyone is going to attack me all the time regardless of ethnicity. I think it's better to be safe than sorry and too trusting. Sorry for people who tell me not to move there, I'm coming anyway because I'm attending school there. Guess they'll just have to deal with me, I'm sure my fears are not uncommon. I wasn't really looking for rude remarks about "stay where you came from." I suppose my concerns are warranted if that is how friendly people in DC are.
I can sympathize with your concerns based on where you come from. Chances are if you're scared you'll probably isolate yourself on your campus (especially if you're coming here for undergrad) and not really spend much time in the real city anyway, so it might be a mute point.

But, if you do decide to venture out you'll probably find it difficult to pick a dominant race on any given day on most sidewalks, in most restaurants, or in most subway cars. This is a good thing. Between Asian, black, white, Indian, Middle Eastern, Latino, etc.., nobody stands out and, because of that, everybody gets along and realizes that everybody else is pretty much the same and just wants to go about their day.

You'll realize this soon enough and will stop seeing the "black man" walking down the street and rather make assessments of the "well dressed professional" or the "drunk, crazy guy yelling at himself" (ignore that one) to ascertain threat levels. You'll encounter black people who are far more cultured, educated, wealthy and professional than you, and white people begging them for change. It won't take long to be forced into seeing the individuals.

But, if you walk around acting scared, you're going to attract the one or two people who are looking for a victim.

Good luck! DC's really a great, international city that's got a whole lot of solid nightlife to enjoy. Great city for a young person to grow - and if you do it right you probably will find it more difficult to return home than to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC