Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM

12 posts, read 18,171 times

Advertisements

"They love roads, as you do. Your failure is the inability to understand a urban perspective on highways, which is they are eyesores that detract from the community."

Again, that was said about urban railways, but people then developed subways.

A Trip Within the Beltway: I-66 North Leg West K Street Tunnel

Such as done with the latter parts of the DC freeway planning, such as the I-66 K Street Tunnel as one example, that was canceled because the world was going to run out of petro by the 1990s and the elites did not want people to think about alternative fuels.

A Trip Within the Beltway: The Doctrinaire Anti-New Highways Position of the 1970s

Dc is bisected by some unsightly rail yards, but we almost never hear anything about that, such as covering them.

Is it any coincidence that the #1 law firm taking up these bizarre anti-freeway battles is a major railroad industry law firm?

A Trip Within the Beltway: Peter S. Craig: An Editorial Reply

What is being called an urban perspective is in fact an elitist one that enjoys having the city bisected by rail (aka CUA- just look at their attitude towards recent proposals to cover the RR in Brookland)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Willinger View Post
"They love roads, as you do. Your failure is the inability to understand a urban perspective on highways, which is they are eyesores that detract from the community."

Again, that was said about urban railways, but people then developed subways.

A Trip Within the Beltway: I-66 North Leg West K Street Tunnel

Such as done with the latter parts of the DC freeway planning, such as the I-66 K Street Tunnel as one example, that was canceled because the world was going to run out of petro by the 1990s and the elites did not want people to think about alternative fuels.

A Trip Within the Beltway: The Doctrinaire Anti-New Highways Position of the 1970s

Dc is bisected by some unsightly rail yards, but we almost never hear anything about that, such as covering them.

Is it any coincidence that the #1 law firm taking up these bizarre anti-freeway battles is a major railroad industry law firm?

A Trip Within the Beltway: Peter S. Craig: An Editorial Reply

What is being called an urban perspective is in fact an elitist one that enjoys having the city bisected by rail (aka CUA- just look at their attitude towards recent proposals to cover the RR in Brookland)
I and my black neighbors don't mind being called elitists. You still can't put your freeways through our town.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:00 PM

12 posts, read 18,171 times
That means put the traffic in DC on the surface streets or south of the Anacostia River.

Somehow I believe you are lying when you call yourself Black, (indeed you fail to post with a real name), with you being so ok to the masonic-covington&burling racketeering.

A Trip Within the Beltway: ECTC Paid To Riot Via Covington & Burling?

Apparently there was insufficient such opposition for Covington & to have to pay for ECTC to riot in city Council, and that their arguments lacked merit, thus the strategy.

Likewise with the B&O NCF concept itself, given how they had to resort to the mysterious type of planning designed to create opposition starting with that engineering study started around the time of JFK's assassination.

A Trip Within the Beltway: 1964 North Central Freeway Routing Mystery

Likewise with the myth of 'white mans roads through black mans homes.' So they have to fill up the right of way with dwellings- and to promote such in the midst of an economic downturn:

A Trip Within the Beltway: March 2009

A Trip Within the Beltway: What Obama Must Do For D.C. Transportation Security

Alas, we allow rule of the worst:

A Trip Within the Beltway: A Sampling of Attitudes Towards D.C. I-95

Notably all of these decisions are unanimous and without debate, as can be expected with such masonic ('asonic) shadow government crap.

Give the credit were it is due; policy in DC is not made by Blacks or by independent people regardless of their DNA.

You ought to know better.

And I think that you really do.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:11 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Actually, Douglas, there are plans afoot to cover some of those unsightly rail yards with development and a lot of minorities hold influential positions of power in DC. If blacks don't make policy, then perhaps you should let the Mayor and City Council know they're wasting their time.

In the end, though, rail is what frees us from the car here so we embrace it, whether it's heavy rail to travel up and down the east coast, subway rail to carry us across the city, or soon to be trolley rail to carry us around our own neighborhoods. The market has responded and living near Metro is the overwhelmingly popular choice over living near interstates, no matter what income one makes.

There's certainly a place for cars in all of that. To think otherwise would be naive. But they need to be secondary for a city to function well.

You're trying to make this about class or race or whatever and seem to have ideas that are rooted in the 60s and 70s about development patterns and policies. I realize this is personal to your life, but it's just simple quality of life for the rest of us. We don't want to live in a city that resembles in any way Indianapolis. People who made a lifestyle choice to live in the suburbs want to plow interstates through our neighborhoods to cut their commute times by 10 minutes. If you would like to pin the label of "elitist" on anyone, I would think it would be those people. I don't think they're elitist, but I do think they fail to recognize that we live by a different set of values than they do.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Actually, Douglas, there are plans afoot to cover some of those unsightly rail yards with development and a lot of minorities hold influential positions of power in DC. If blacks don't make policy, then perhaps you should let the Mayor and City Council know they're wasting their time.

In the end, though, rail is what frees us from the car here so we embrace it, whether it's heavy rail to travel up and down the east coast, subway rail to carry us across the city, or soon to be trolley rail to carry us around our own neighborhoods. The market has responded and living near Metro is the overwhelmingly popular choice over living near interstates, no matter what income one makes.

There's certainly a place for cars in all of that. To think otherwise would be naive. But they need to be secondary for a city to function well.

You're trying to make this about class or race or whatever and seem to have ideas that are rooted in the 60s and 70s about development patterns and policies. I realize this is personal to your life, but it's just simple quality of life for the rest of us. We don't want to live in a city that resembles in any way Indianapolis. People who made a lifestyle choice to live in the suburbs want to plow interstates through our neighborhoods to cut their commute times by 10 minutes. If you would like to pin the label of "elitist" on anyone, I would think it would be those people. I don't think they're elitist, but I do think they fail to recognize that we live by a different set of values than they do.
There was nothing wrong with the path I-95 was heading into with the exception of the portion past New York Ave or the Center Leg. 95 should of went along the proposed East Leg as the highway heads North out of the city. Most of the routing were parallel to the rails that you embrace. No one asking for a system like in Indianapolis.

Portland, OR have freeways in their city and they're listed as the most environmental friendly city in the nation and second in the world. That's because they planned carefully. There's I-5 that connects Portland with LA and Seattle directly and a freeway to serve downtown. They give commuters options for transportation rather than taking away one. They have their roads built to add support to public transportation.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
There was nothing wrong with the path I-95 was heading into with the exception of the portion past New York Ave or the Center Leg. 95 should of went along the proposed East Leg as the highway heads North out of the city. Most of the routing were parallel to the rails that you embrace. No one asking for a system like in Indianapolis.

Portland, OR have freeways in their city and they're listed as the most environmental friendly city in the nation and second in the world. That's because they planned carefully. There's I-5 that connects Portland with LA and Seattle directly and a freeway to serve downtown. They give commuters options for transportation rather than taking away one. They have their roads built to add support to public transportation.
You already posted that - word for word. Kind of strange.

In the end, if you funnel a bunch of suburban cars into downtown, no matter what route you use to get them there, we're going to have to use OUR tax dollars to expand OUR roads and building a bunch of parking lots to accommodate YOUR cars. It also diminishes transportation options because it makes DC less walkable, less bikeable, and less livable. Unless, of course, Atlanta is a model of walkability?

That's just not worth 10 minutes off your commute in the morning to us. In all honesty, I'd recommend reading highway studies if you wish an in-depth analysis of why interstates don't work in major cities, no matter how "environmentally friendly" their reputations may be (Portland has a lot of development problems, btw).

Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You already posted that - word for word. Kind of strange.

In the end, if you funnel a bunch of suburban cars into downtown, no matter what route you use to get them there, we're going to have to use OUR tax dollars to expand OUR roads and building a bunch of parking lots to accommodate YOUR cars. It also diminishes transportation options because it makes DC less walkable, less bikeable, and less livable. Unless, of course, Atlanta is a model of walkability?

That's just not worth 10 minutes off your commute in the morning to us. In all honesty, I'd recommend reading highway studies if you wish an in-depth analysis of why interstates don't work in major cities, no matter how "environmentally friendly" their reputations may be (Portland has a lot of development problems, btw).
You act if that every neighborhood in DC is safe and walkable and pleasant like Dupont Circle. It's not. Why don't you take a walk or ride your bike east and around the Anacostia River and let me know how that worked out for you.

I've read many highway studies on urban highways and respectfully disagree with why they don't work. With extensive studying and proper planning, highways in cities does work.

Last edited by Phyxius; 05-03-2010 at 10:12 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM

810 posts, read 2,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
You act if that every neighborhood in DC is safe and walkable and pleasant like Dupont Circle. It's not. Why don't you take a walk or ride your bike east and around the Anacostia River and let me know how that worked out for you.

I've read many highway studies on urban highways and respectfully disagree with why they don't work. With extensive studying and proper planning, highways in cities does work.
do

Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
I've got an idea. Why don't all the people who don't like the way DC manages it's roads and highways, just stay away. If Indianapolis, Portland, Atlanta, etc have transportation systems that better meet what you are looking for. Stay there, move there, whatever.

Whether DC's system is "right" doesn't matter. It's what the citizens of DC want. Trying to make it a race/economic issue is a sad joke and really say a lot about the poster. Posting some blog that still wants I-95 completed is analogous to wishing for "I Love Lucy" to come back on the air. The decision is made. It's not going to be reconsidered.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
do
You can stop with the "all of DC isn't Dupont Circle" line. I've been to all corners of this city - from the wealthiest suburban enclaves to the poorest places near the other Dupont, FortDupont.

Interesting you mention Anacostia, a neighborhood with a LOT of new development attracting middle class residents (many blacks included for those interested in race) and on the brink of a renaissance, Why? Because development is focused around transit and there's a new streetcar system being built.

I've also seen the depressed areas that depend on highways and they don't do as well.

You can disagree with research, but that's just your opinion. I'll stick with science myself. I shall respectfully bow out. Nothing new is being said and there's no way DC's market and policy are going back to promoting cars and all the problems they bring.

Best to you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC