Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 02:21 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejamon View Post
I'm 27, Systems Engineer / Software Engineer. I'm making 178K + my wife's teaching salary. (I'm an outlier in more than 1 way, though - my salary is way higher than most in my business because I deal with some very niche technology. Also, I started working full time in IT when I was 16, went to college at night, so I've got a lot more work experience than most folks my age.)

Downtown Silver Spring - LOVE IT. Condo rent is $2200 for a 2BR/2BA with a huge terrace, 14 ft ceilings, and hardwood/granite/blahblahblah. (I don't own because I'm not ready to settle down yet.) Neighbor down the hall pays $1550 for 1BR/1BA with carpet/granite and a balcony.

Area Pros:
- Uber walkable in the immediate area.
- Tons of restaurants ranging from chains to wine bars to Ethiopian,Salvadorian, and Vietnamese. One of the best steaks in the area @ Ray's, the best Pho I've had at Lotus.
- 2 movie theaters - one megaplex, one indie/foreign/classics
- Whole Foods + Farmers Market if you're into it, Giant if you're not
- Red-Line Metro, WMATA Buses, and MTA Buses
- Diversity of age, ethnicity, and income level. 800K houses, 400K houses, apartments, and condos in the same small area.
- Seems perfectly safe, despite what I've heard people say. It's not the deep suburbs, but in my time here I've never had an issue. There was a bike stolen from a bike rack in my building once, actually.
- Bike trails: Capitol Crescent is right there, and Rock Creek Park is ok. MBT needs to hurry up and get finished!
- If you've got kids, the public schools are great (or so I hear).

Cons:
- Not cheap.
- Traffic sucks if you can't commute via metro.
- There's no Target-type store that's convenient, which can be a pain if CVS doesn't carry it.
- Not much night-life, but that's what DC is for.
- Only 1 really good bar in the area
- Parking can suck depending on your destination. Whole Foods' lot is particularly terrible - you'll circle the lot 4-5 times to get a spot sometimes.
Which is the good bar? I've been going to Quarry House, but apparently Jackies side isn't bad, but haven't been there. And where do you live? I'm getting raped here at one of the new high-rises.

I agree with your review. It is very safe around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 06:45 AM

158 posts, read 270,379 times
[SIZE=3]I am a government contractor working with the NGA as an Oracle Dba (database administrator). Base $129000 in country. In the war zone where I am at now $361000 that includes hardship and hazard premiums. Also the work is 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I live in Manassas, Va. About 40 miles west of DC[/SIZE]

Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mideast View Post
[SIZE=3]I am a government contractor working with the NGA as an Oracle Dba (database administrator). Base $129000 in country. In the war zone where I am at now $361000 that includes hardship and hazard premiums. Also the work is 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I live in Manassas, Va. About 40 miles west of DC[/SIZE]
Those are some hellish work hours but wow, that's a very nice pay in the war zone.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 PM

413 posts, read 1,165,170 times
Quote:
Lorddddddddddddddy. I didn't think they were shelling out that kind of dough anymore. I've heard of mostly 70% spikes in salary but you hit the jackpot!!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Solar consultant.

$300,000 or so.

Moorestown NJ.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,535 times
Interesting thread! Some thoughts- DH has a Phd; full ride to Bowdoin as an undergrad (tuition was 6K/yr then, now is 60K/yr)- DH is a frigging genius and his family made jack as farmers/lumber mill workers in Maine, dirt poor as in 2 pairs of pants to wear (wash one, wear one) and govnmnt cheese & PB. Lots of debt for grad and post grad school- finally paid it off just as DH turned 40. 10 yrs ago he was making 35K a year (yeah). Took him 3 years to get to 50K, another 2 years he was at 75K, a year later 125K. Two and a half years ago he was recruited for a job in NY; salary 225K ++. Combined we were raking in almost 300K. Sounds nice, eh? He gained 50 lbs & looked sick all the time. He drank too much & was unhappy and stressed. The more unhappy he was the more useless crap I bought. He worked his butt off, was awesome to his staff, and the top jock got credit for his brillant ideas. 7K went to NY state and 20K to federal income tax, in addition to the 60K or more that was withheld. Most of my life I never MADE nearly as much as was paid/owed in taxes.
Well, in June 2010 he was laid off from that 225K++ job. The 50 lbs melted off, he drinks less, looks healthy & happy. We sold tons of our useless crap on eBay and made thousands of tax free $$ (well. kinda.i bought it on sale, after all). Consulting work is lined up as a small side biz and he just accepted a job offer in Rockville MD at 115K (a relief cuz my benes suck). Combined gross income will be 170-180K. We still have good credit. We still gotta pay 27K back taxes to the man, via the installment plan.

I think there is a lesson or two in there somewhere.

Now, where will we live (rent)??? We dont need/want "family friendly" but DO need "safe". Close to metro. Walkable. Pleasant. Neighborhood bars & eateries. Some trees & grass to ease the eye and a place to plant a few flowers in the spring. Man, do I ever hope someone knows this place and directs us there!!!

Lots of food for thought in this thread, even tho I have no idea what a "G" is. Thanks to all OP's!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure in Afghanistan, they're also paying for boarding and food, along with bodyguards...

Old 11-29-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Interesting thread! Some thoughts- DH has a Phd; full ride to Bowdoin as an undergrad (tuition was 6K/yr then, now is 60K/yr)- DH is a frigging genius and his family made jack as farmers/lumber mill workers in Maine, dirt poor as in 2 pairs of pants to wear (wash one, wear one) and govnmnt cheese & PB. Lots of debt for grad and post grad school- finally paid it off just as DH turned 40. 10 yrs ago he was making 35K a year (yeah). Took him 3 years to get to 50K, another 2 years he was at 75K, a year later 125K. Two and a half years ago he was recruited for a job in NY; salary 225K ++. Combined we were raking in almost 300K. Sounds nice, eh? He gained 50 lbs & looked sick all the time. He drank too much & was unhappy and stressed. The more unhappy he was the more useless crap I bought. He worked his butt off, was awesome to his staff, and the top jock got credit for his brillant ideas. 7K went to NY state and 20K to federal income tax, in addition to the 60K or more that was withheld. Most of my life I never MADE nearly as much as was paid/owed in taxes.
Well, in June 2010 he was laid off from that 225K++ job. The 50 lbs melted off, he drinks less, looks healthy & happy. We sold tons of our useless crap on eBay and made thousands of tax free $$ (well. kinda.i bought it on sale, after all). Consulting work is lined up as a small side biz and he just accepted a job offer in Rockville MD at 115K (a relief cuz my benes suck). Combined gross income will be 170-180K. We still have good credit. We still gotta pay 27K back taxes to the man, via the installment plan.

I think there is a lesson or two in there somewhere.

Now, where will we live (rent)??? We dont need/want "family friendly" but DO need "safe". Close to metro. Walkable. Pleasant. Neighborhood bars & eateries. Some trees & grass to ease the eye and a place to plant a few flowers in the spring. Man, do I ever hope someone knows this place and directs us there!!!

Lots of food for thought in this thread, even tho I have no idea what a "G" is. Thanks to all OP's!
I love this post. seems like more money I make, more I drink and less friends I have, but more junk I buy...

Old 11-29-2010, 06:42 PM

413 posts, read 1,165,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
I'm pretty sure in Afghanistan, they're also paying for boarding and food, along with bodyguards...
I'm pretty sure he works in a FOB.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 PM

Where is FOB?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC