Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,726,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
Just maybe, all the WHITEY FOLK moved out and left it so the people of COLOR would have have a FAIR chance at a BRIGHTER FUTURE,....may GOD BLESS THIS NATION, it needs help!
tell me how that's been workin' out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:49 PM

605 posts, read 2,164,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
Just maybe, all the WHITEY FOLK moved out and left it so the people of COLOR would have have a FAIR chance at a BRIGHTER FUTURE,....may GOD BLESS THIS NATION, it needs help!
I see that you've spent past few days commenting extensively on contentious posts about race, illegal immigration, and the confederacy.

We're making observations about the racial make-up of schools here, not speculations. If you're trying to stir up controversy, the politics forum may be the best place for you.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 AM

6 posts, read 13,674 times
DCPS is a joke u aint gon learn **** look how i type lol white pll smart

Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM

13,686 posts, read 20,848,198 times
Perhaps its a time for a white graduate of DC Public to chime in? Yes, we do exist.

Actually, most of you are correct. The city is still majority black and certainly was more so when I was in the school system (1971-1983). Latinos were a smattering as their influx began after I left.

Most white kids then and now attend public elementary school as these schools mirror the immediate community and are pretty good. Most kids live within walking distance of these schools are they are thus a typical experience and so forth. However, I will note that even my elementary school circa 1970s was fairly diverse with some black kids as well as more than a few from foreign countries such as Swaziland, India, Argentina, Taiwan, Portugal, etc. That is the chief reason I deride the notion of "Diversity" being shoved down my throat as I lived it- it was something that was simply normal. But I digress...

Moving on, 7th grade/Junior High was the big turning point/decision time. Junior Highs are, by nature, larger capacity and thus they draw from beyond Upper Northwest in DC. And we all know what that means. That is when parents kibbitz with each other on what they are going to do and start looking at their finances. And a good chunk move on to private school and never look back.

But the other half of us stayed and went on to become minorities. Reasons are various. At the time, blacks and whites were supposedly coming together, and DC whites being mostly liberal, this was the chance to put up or shut up. Both my junior high and senior high principals were tough SOBs and did a reasonably good job keeping order. This was also the age before crack, guns, gangsta culture, and so forth. So it was far from going to school in Attica.

Some white kids left for private school after giving it a chance. And some even returned from private school.

But there were issues. I cannot go into detail as time does not allow. I have alluded to those times in some of my past posts. I am usually receptive to serious questions. That is my story. Or at least part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC