Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 PM

127 posts, read 507,221 times

Advertisements

I have found that while washington is 36% white the public schools are only 5% white while latinos make 8% of the population they make 19% of the school district along with blacks who are 55% of DC are 85% of the public school system.why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM

127 posts, read 507,221 times
actually i made a mistake.
latinos are 10% of the schools.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
That is public schools in any major city. There are many reasons why but I am too lazy to type that.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,848 times
DC public schools are notorious for being pretty terrible, whites are richer and can afford to send their kids to private schools. And yeap, that's true for an major urban center (sadly).

Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
1. Middle / upper class whites moving back into the city or remaining there in upper NW tend to be childless or significantly delay having children to focus on career. As such, they have fewer children.

2. Bearing children young is a prominent part of Latino working class culture.

3. Having children young remains a prominent part of working class African American culture.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
1. Middle / upper class whites moving back into the city or remaining there in upper NW tend to be childless or significantly delay having children to focus on career. As such, they have fewer children.
Also, the few white people I know who grew up in DC either went to private school or to public school in MD. Or they moved to a suburb before high school (several went to public DC elementary schools).

Old 05-21-2010, 09:30 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
What bluefly said. I posit that the majority of whites are either childless or are rich enough to send their kids to private school. All others move to suburbia by high school... can't blame 'em. I think the majority of whites in DCPS go to Wilson.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:32 AM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
I have found that while washington is 36% white the public schools are only 5% white while latinos make 8% of the population they make 19% of the school district along with blacks who are 55% of DC are 85% of the public school system.why?
It comes down to three simple factors: the quality of DC public schools, racial income disparity, and the racial make-up of the school-age population.

Currently, 49% of DCPS elementary students proficient in reading and math. Though this is a dramatic jump from 38% proficient in reading and 29% proficient in math in 2007, the system-wide statistics are still grim. (Some individual schools do function well, however.) Anyway, for a long time, if you could afford to move to a better school district or to enroll your child(ren) in private school in DC, that's what you did.

Because of dramatic racial income disparity in DC, white families are more likely than black families to be able to afford private school tuition. White households in DC had a median income of $101k in 2008 whereas black households had a median income of $39k.

You also can't look at the racial composition of the adult population in Washington, DC and extrapolate to the school-age population. I went to the Population Reference Bureau to find the number of children ages 5-17 in DC and the percentage of those children who were racial minorities. In 2000 (the most recent year that statistics were available) 89% of school-age children in Washington, DC were racial minorities (82,456 total, 73,617 minority: Data Comparisons by Topic > Bar Graph > Population Ages 5-17, 2000 - Population Reference Bureau (http://www.prb.org/Datafinder/Topic/Bar.aspx?sort=v&order=d&variable=177 - broken link)). According to the DCPS website (Facts and Statistics - DC Public Schools, Washington, DC), during the 2008-2009 school year, 7% of students were white, 12% Hispanic, and 79% were black.

Taking into account population changes from 2000-2009 and differences in statistical reporting methodologies for race, DCPS enrollment very closely reflects the racial composition of DC.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:20 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

2. Bearing children young is a prominent part of Latino working class culture.

3. Having children young remains a prominent part of working class African American culture.
Number 3 is racist!!!! You cannot prove that. And even if you could I would ignore all evidence and continue to call you a racist because I have never PERSONALLY seen it, and therefore it doesn't exist!!!

(Just taking a page from your book. Also, because you "owned" me last time and I'm still butt hurt)

Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Number 3 is racist!!!! You cannot prove that. And even if you could I would ignore all evidence and continue to call you a racist because I have never PERSONALLY seen it, and therefore it doesn't exist!!!

(Just taking a page from your book. Also, because you "owned" me last time and I'm still butt hurt)
Ahhh... contrary to your claim in the other thread, I can prove it. There's ample statistical evidence to support my claim.

Unfortunately, you remain a coveted item that I paid for in full and display lovingly on my mantel to all visitors. You should feel honored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC