Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I love this idea and the idea of a commuter tax. Working hard, I have a question for you. If you have a heart attack on K Street will Fairfax County rush in to save your life or DC?
Likewise, if you have a heart attack while in Fair Oaks Mall, who will come to your aid, no matter where you live?

DC can mandate that all employees hired after a certain future date must live within the district. No exceptions. Present employees can be grandfathered in and through eventual attrition, all city employees will be city residents. For the Clown-cil to attempt to stick their hands into the pockets of non-residents is just another attempt to commit legalized robbery to support their uncontrolled spending habits. It was stated above that DC has a revenue problem. That is false - DC has a spending problem. Stop electing the corrupt officials who in turn pass on big contracts to their homeboy cronies and the problem will correct.

We live in Virginia, my wife works for a Virginia-based company who has established a work site to be close to the client. Why should a penny of our family income end in DC's coffers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
Quote:
It was stated above that DC has a revenue problem. That is false - DC has a spending problem. Stop electing the corrupt officials who in turn pass on big contracts to their homeboy cronies and the problem will correct.
The same thing could be said about Virginia too.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The same thing could be said about Virginia too.
And who would compare to ex-Mayor-for-Life crackhead Marion Barry who's now getting his ho's taken care of via city funds?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Too bad DC can't put a toll at every VA entrance into the city.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,874 times
Quote:
You got that right.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:40 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That is false - DC has a spending problem. Stop electing the corrupt officials who in turn pass on big contracts to their homeboy cronies and the problem will correct.
You're actually identifying two separate issues here. A spending problem is different from a nepotism/cronyism problem, although the two may converge. It can be argued, for instance, that Montgomery County has overspent during the past several years. Cronyism brings its own set of problems and issues, and deserves to be addressed--but will not necessarily resolve the revenue problem identified here.

I for one don't really have a problem with the city of Washington mandating that people who work for the city live in the city, and those that do not will essentially pay a penalty for doing so--Maryland and Virginia would be within their rights to institute such a policy as well.

And to the suggestion above that a toll be assessed to every driver entering the District from Maryland or Virginia: amen to that!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Wow someone from Virginia criticizing another local government. Every been to that monstrosity they call Tysons Corner? On I-66 at rush hour? Visited the gated communities out towards Leesburg? Who are you keeping out anyway? There are only white republicans out there. LOL

Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
Wow someone from Virginia criticizing another local government. Every been to that monstrosity they call Tysons Corner? On I-66 at rush hour? Visited the gated communities out towards Leesburg? Who are you keeping out anyway? There are only white republicans out there. LOL
Regardless of the merits of the City Council's idea (and I am a Virginian who happens to think that it's fine for DC to "fine" city employees who live outside the District), let's not respond to someone trashing your jurisdiction by trashing theirs.

Every large jurisdiction in Northern Virginia voted for Obama in 2008, and all of them have more Asians and Latinos (as a percentage) than DC. For a bunch of "white republicans" you'll find that we're quite diverse

Old 05-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Regardless of the merits of the City Council's idea (and I am a Virginian who happens to think that it's fine for DC to "fine" city employees who live outside the District), let's not respond to someone trashing your jurisdiction by trashing theirs.
Perhaps the more applicable standard would be that those who live in Virginia should avoid commenting on Washington governance until their government is "without sin."

Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times
Quote:
yes, and give them an incentive to spend their money in Arlington and Tyson's instead of here

funny how the angry Barry-heads have no common sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC