Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 AM

44 posts, read 111,346 times

Advertisements

I visited Sequim, PA, PT this past August. The weather was perfect. Rialto Beach and Cape Flattery were in brilliant sunshine. On Hurricane Ridge you could see forever. It all was just perfect.

I'd like to move to Sequim. But, before I make a huge life-change, I'd like to see the area at its worst.

So, my question is: At what time of year do people start thinking about consuming rat poison or slashing wrists - those gray, gray, forever gray days.

I see that almost everyone there has an RV to allow them to get out of Dodge. When does the stampede begin?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM

576 posts, read 2,260,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat38 View Post
So, my question is: At what time of year do people start thinking about consuming rat poison or slashing wrists - those gray, gray, forever gray days.
Generally November through February. That's not to say that we can't get prolonged gray weather in October or March or a stretch of sunny days in November/December but the worst months tend to be during the traditional winter months. Keep in mind that it's not just the gray rain that bothers some people. Given our northern latitude the number of daylight hours during the winter is significantly reduced as well. This darkness seems to compound the rainy weather.

The summer months are usually July and August, sometimes early September as well (late June at times)- as you recently experienced. Yes, they can be spectacular!

"Tourist Season" usually runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day with the number of RV's on the road seeming to increase exponentially.

Come and spend a month here during December or January. If you can live with the weather then, you probably will do fine here the rest of the year. Generally I think it's smart to rent a place for a year or so prior to buying. This would allow you to try the town on for size before investing a chunk of change in a home here.

Last edited by Dendrite; 10-11-2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Mis-spelled word

Old 10-11-2011, 12:48 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgoat38 View Post

Rarely. Lower suicide rate up here than most of the Western U.S. Las Vegas is suicide city. Some of us up here are sick of the slander.

Relocated Californians hate December up here, but I don't think they are killing themselves over it. They just end up moving along to Nevada or Texas, sort of like California, but not ruined by corrupt/inept/bloated/expensive government, yet (sadly the plague of Californians don't change their silly voting habits when they move).

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Rarely. Lower suicide rate up here than most of the Western U.S. Las Vegas is suicide city. Some of us up here are sick of the slander.

Relocated Californians hate December up here, but I don't think they are killing themselves over it. They just end up moving along to Nevada or Texas, sort of like California, but not ruined by corrupt/inept/bloated/expensive government, yet (sadly the plague of Californians don't change their silly voting habits when they move).
It never fails to amuse me, as a former Californian, how people assume all 38 million people there think the same way. Some us from there are "sick of the slander." ;-)

Anyway, the late winter is the worst time of year for me. December doesn't bother me at all. I like the weather here in Port Townsend just fine, but the short days in winter get a bit old a few weeks after Christmas. Since I telecommute for my old job and set my own schedule, I can just take a vacation someplace further south in late January or early February, and by the time I return, it's not too long until Daylight Savings begins and it's light later in the evening, which I like.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,411 times
Just about anytime after the buzz of the holiday rush has worn off and reality sets back in. For me, Iv'e noticed Feb until Easter is the worst. There's just nothing much to do and it is GREY and DARK almost all day....
Not all of us are lucky to have an RV.. I would love to camp out all year round. We have tents, and have spent one too many nights and mornings sludging through the mud trying to have fun camping!!
Not the best time of year for solar-powered people, but some people prefer it this way!
Good luck!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The reason so many people from CA (like my parents) retire in Sequim is that they at least see the sun for a while almost every day all year. They are up pretty high on a road that goes up to the Olympics, and a good part of the year they have a few morning clouds that burn off by noon leaving sun the rest of the day. Many times I have been there and watched the clouds part when they hit the mountains, leaving a big hole of blue sky over the area despite clouds and rain elsewhere. Being at altitude they also get more snow,
maybe a foot when other areas get 4", but I have seen it sunny there even in January. No one in Sequim would be suicidal because of the weather. Maybe because of the lack of jobs. Their RV is used in summer mostly, because of their age and not being as safe to drive it in winter. You will find that many of those RVs are used as guest cottages or even have people living in them. The only real problem with that area is getting there from Seattle (and back) during the summer, and worse on holiday weekends when the ferries are crowded with tourists along with (yes, it's true) people that drive to the ferry and take it to work in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington