Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I'm considering getting into my car and driving up there to take a look. I can't imagine why anyone wants to move there. I'd like to go and see for myself.

However, it is a pretty part of the country and would make a nice camping vacation for me. I would love to spend a couple of days in the Olympic National Forest up there.

Open the Forks city web page and the first thing you see is a warning about a car prowl epidemic, complete with photos of broken car windows. What a fun place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
The drive is gorgeous, especially if you can plan it for a sunny day. The town of Forks is nothing more than a postage stamp though. If you're looking to find a well-stocked grocery/general store though....you are going to find one there! Being out in the middle of nowhere, they stock EVERYTHING. LOL

Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
The drive is gorgeous, especially if you can plan it for a sunny day. The town of Forks is nothing more than a postage stamp though. If you're looking to find a well-stocked grocery/general store though....you are going to find one there! Being out in the middle of nowhere, they stock EVERYTHING. LOL
Great fun to blast through...if you are heading somewhere else. Like Port Angeles (north) or Astoria, OR (south).

To quote a recent film: "I didn't go looking for her because there was nothing to find."

You could blow through Forks at 55 (or slow down for town speed limits, I suppose) and be from one end to the other in less than a mile flat. Would hardly notice.

Google Maps Street View pretty much sums it up. I hadn't been through since 2010, but just found the "Forks Coffee Shop" where I stopped back then en route through town (for La Push). I notice the buildings next door are boarded up. Lot of that going around in town, seems-like.

These threads crack me up.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 PM

302 posts, read 499,478 times
Actually got another email back from the Chamber of Commerce in Fork and I about cracked up laughing after reading this thread and the others (even my original one), then this email.

Thank you for contacting us about Forks.

Forks is a really nice place to live. Some things to know if you are thinking about moving to Forks:
Forks gets an average of 10 feet of rain per year. This makes everything green and beautiful, but at the same time it can be very challenging dealing with the rain and the grayness.
Forks is pretty remote. Our closest town to the northeast is Port Angeles which is 56 miles (about 1 hour and 15 minutes) away and to the south is Hoquiam/Aberdeen which is 100 miles (2 hours) away. Our nearest mall is in Silverdale which is 2.5 hours away.
I moved here 3 years ago and have really enjoyed the town and the people. From personal experience, having moved here from Texas, I can say that the cost of living here is somewhat higher.

For housing in the area, check out our Real Estate-Property Management link. That is the best source for rental & purchase properties. Check out our website, Welcome to Forks, and the REST of the Olympic Peninsula! | Forks Washington Chamber of Commerce for local information, shopping, restaurants and business directory. Our blog is a good source of info too.

Our local newspapers:

Home Forks Forum, our local weekly newspaper
Peninsula Daily News: Local Sports, Shopping, Dining, Lodging, Medical, Jobs, Homes, Cars, Classifieds, Obituaries, Services for Olympic Peninsula, Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Sequim, Forks, Jefferson County, Clallam County, Washington Peninsula Daily News, our daily newspaper

Area links:

City of Forks Washington City of Forks website
Quillayute Valley SD > Home Quillayute Valley School District
Clallam County Hospital District # 1 Forks Washington Forks Hospital
Forks : Locations and Hours : North Olympic Library System (NOLS) Forks Library
Clallam County Home Page Clallam County website
Clallam Transit - Home Clallam County public transportation

Peninsula Daily News Special Sections for several online guides
Olympic Peninsula Visitor Guide, Summer 2012
for the Forks Forum online visitor guide.

Forks has been known as the Logging Capital of the World but in recent years, more for the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. While the movies weren’t filmed here, the books are based in our town. Even before the movies were released, legions of book fans visited Forks (from January 2009 – present we have had over 200,000 people in our Visitor Information Center sign our guest book) to see where the magic of Bella and Edward’s romance takes place.

And while the numbers sound high, there is so much space here, we are not overrun with people. And because Forks is so beautiful and there is so much to do here, many of these fans that originally came because of Twilight, come back for Forks and bring their families and friends. The Hoh Rain Forest, Pacific Ocean beaches, Sol Duc Falls, Lake Crescent, La Push – home of the Quileute Nation, world-class rivers for salmon, steelhead and trout fishing with class I, II & III rapids for rafting and kayaking are all just minutes away.

If you are here on a Wednesday, I recommend two things… Reserve a spot on the Logging and Mill Tour (seasonal) and attend the Quileute Healing Circle/Drum Group in La Push at 6pm.

Regarding Twilight - the Visitor Information Center provides a self-guided map (pick up in the Visitor Information Center or download from website). We also have a “Guy’s List” that has lots of great activities that aren’t Twilight related.

Explore our website Welcome to Forks, and the REST of the Olympic Peninsula! | Forks Washington Chamber of Commerce and make sure you stop by our VIC when you get here for lots of great information! We also have a facebook page so check that out www.facebook.com/forkswa.

• How to get to Forks and Visitor Information Center (and Bella’s trucks) link. Our blog is a great source of information too.

• Lodging link
Downloadable PDF

• Restaurants link
Downloadable PDF

• Interesting places (Hoh Rain Forest, Pacific Ocean beaches & more) to see while you are here link

• Fun things to do in Forks link

• Upcoming events link

• Area photos link

We are constantly updating our website so check back often for current info. Please contact us with any questions.

Best of luck on your relocation!

Lissy

Lissy Andros
Forks Chamber of Commerce
1411 S. Forks Ave
Forks, WA 98331
360-374-2531
800-443-6757
info@forkswa.com
Welcome to Forks, and the REST of the Olympic Peninsula! | Forks Washington Chamber of Commerce

Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Great fun to blast through...if you are heading somewhere else. Like Port Angeles (north) or Astoria, OR (south).

To quote a recent film: "I didn't go looking for her because there was nothing to find."

You could blow through Forks at 55 (or slow down for town speed limits, I suppose) and be from one end to the other in less than a mile flat. Would hardly notice.

Google Maps Street View pretty much sums it up. I hadn't been through since 2010, but just found the "Forks Coffee Shop" where I stopped back then en route through town (for La Push). I notice the buildings next door are boarded up. Lot of that going around in town, seems-like.

These threads crack me up.
Honestly, I wish more people would get out of the "city" and spend a little time, camping and hiking, in that area. It truly is beautiful. Many of these people have been there for many generations, such as the family we have there. In fact, it was my husband's grandfather, who was the main "freight hauler" for the area from Hoquiam to Neah Bay. There were no roads, so you better have someone with a boat who could navigate the treacherous bars and rivers in the area.

Many of the folks up there are just good ole pioneer stock, laid back folks who just "don't want to be bothered by the bologny of the world". BTW....they're so grateful ....and get such a kick out of the Twilight crowd.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGEEZER View Post
Who are the four hundred and some odd folks that increased the town census since 2005?
Most likely more illegals collecting salal from the woods.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:35 AM

5 posts, read 19,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most likely more illegals collecting salal from the woods.

Well that makes me really want to move there! Why doesn't the good ole Forks Chamber of Commerce mention this? But, no, they would rather make you believe it's the Twi-Hards increasing the numbers. lmao

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM

Okay, after searching the forum for "I want to move to Forks, WA", I cannot find any threads that predate 2005. Why is this? (innocently smiles)

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM

No. I did not move to Forks, WA. In a pigs eye, would I move to such a desolate, poverty stricken area. The 'dark days' alone would rid me of what little sanity I might still have left in this lifetime. omg!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:20 AM

109 posts, read 287,292 times
I posted on this thread a while back about an acquaintance of mine who actually moved to Forks sight unseen because of the "Twilight phenomenon". I have an update for anyone who's interested. My friend ended up quitting her job in the summer of 2012 and leaving Forks. Living there got to be so bad that she decided it was better to move away without another job lined up than to stay there and continue to be miserable. It took her until this past summer to find another teaching job, but she now works in a "real city" in a neighboring state. So - a happy ending for her at last. She's still a rabid "Twilight" fan, but she'll tell you that living in Forks was a horrible experience. I'm glad to say that she can finally look back on her time in Forks and laugh about it.

I realized that a lot of people have been wondering how this story turned out, so I went and updated the other threads too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington