Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson4154 View Post
It's just a wish list - and the more of these I hit the better. I currently own a home for $750K, but would like to free up disposable income for other things. But... if the right home came along, I'd consider it. So I still appreciate any feedback on a location that is as close as I can get to my top priorities.

Thanks!!
I'm curious what that home of yours in CA is actually worth now? I've been watching the CA market and looks like lots of people that paid $500k to 1mil are selling for considerably less than what they paid, and that's if they can sell at all.

So you may want to make sure those eggs hatch before you count them.....just a recommendation.

BTW, Port Orchard has some pretty cheap waterfront real estate, not so much walking trails though.

As to rain, if you buy in Port Townsend (nice town) they have a rain shadow and get tons less rain than Seattle. You won't have to worry about crazy amounts of rain unless you move over to the coast (Forks, etc). I wouldn't recommend that as there is nothing there, at all.

Good luck

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 03:03 AM

60 posts, read 289,061 times
I hear ya' when it comes to the market. We're not trying to "cash in" and buy outright, simply quit the rat race down here. And you are correct - many homes are selling for a LOT less than they want to. I'm not in an upscale neighborhood, and it's not been as inflated as some, although we did buy a the height of the market, but have made some severe home-improvements since. So we'll get what we need to get out - but sure, we probably are not making the a "killer deal" on the move - but we are a family now and will rather spend time with kids, both under 15 mos., than me working, ie. we're definitely looking to have a somewhat smaller mortgage in WA. At least for a few years till I go back to work. Our priorities has changed!!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 11,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson4154 View Post
I'm one of those pesky Californian's who've had it with the congestion and real estate prices - AND lack of real nature! But of course I want it all. A few years back I ALMOST bought a house by Lake Sammamish, but met my husband and backed out.

Now we have a family, 2 small kids, and two big dogs. We are very active, my husband loves trailrunning, and surf skies. I love mountain biking and hiking. With those interests and now with kids, we'd like to live outside a city (Seattle?). My dream home is surrounded by forest, and is waterfront. Neighbors are not too close, but trails are within walking distance. It sure would be nice if skiing wasn't too far away either. We both down hill and cross country ski.

So the list goes:
Fairly close to a city (30 min?)
Home surrounded by forest
Waterfront, lake, ocean river?
Trail access within walking distance
Not too pricy
- I'm looking at homes around 400K for a 4+ bdrm(take or give)

I've been to the Olympic Peninsula once, and LOVED the nature. My only concern is the weather - rain and wind. I've been living in CA too long that I might get a weather shock moving there. We are considering Oregon too, but there's something attractive about living closer to Vancouver BC (have friends there).

Any thoughts on a place we can call home? I'm really eager to find the one place I want to raise my young kids, and we'll probably relocate within a year.

Very grateful for all ideas. I'm going up over Veterans Day to do a field trip! Thanks!!
Bellingham- seems to fit most of what your seeking. Waterfront homes can be pricey, but if you were to live on say "Lake Whatcom" you could find something more affordable than a home on the bay. Check out the Silver Beach or Geneva neighborhoods. There are hiking trails all around the lake, public parks like- Hovander and Whatcom Falls. Your close to Vancouver and Seattle and both are cheap and easy to get to by train. The Bellingham airport is easy to get in and get out of. Which is nice if you like to travel. Hope that helps.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,297 times
I am from Vancouver, now living in Birch Bay. It was quite a change coming from the city, but it was a nice change. More outdoor time, less 'city stuff'.

Birch bay gets much less rain then in Vancouver, when it rains all day in the city, it only rains 10 minutes here and there - during the summer. The winter is still wet, as most of Washington is, I assume.

The people are very nice and everyone in my neighbourhood gets along and are always welcoming of new people.

I don't feel unwelcome here, and although not overly diverse (like BC is) I have never felt out of place.

Housing prices are great (compared to a large city) and the community is good for families, lots of kids and young families.

Not many places to eat out - although you are very close to awesome Lower Mainland (BC) restaurants.

Border isn't that bad, you find your way...but if you can, get Nexus. Your friends from Canada will love to come visit you as well. I feel living close to the border I get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps!! Good luck on your search.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM

37 posts, read 159,144 times
I would suggest you consider Issaquah and Issaquah Highlands.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 AM

305 posts, read 1,610,246 times
Issaquah/ Lk. Samm is good, as you know. BUT, no one has mentioned Snoqualmie!!! I'm almost shocked! Snoqualmie is the newest bedroom community of Seattle and Bellevue. It's located just east of Seattle and Bellevie. It's at the East end of Hwy 18, and the on-ramps to I-90 are literally less than 2 miles away from the city. It's a straight shot into the city. Snoqualmie is famous for Snoqualmie Falls and the Salish Lodge which is perched atop them. You may recognize "snoqualmie" from the ski area "Snoqualmie Pass." The ski area is maybe 15-20 miles farther east on I-90. I think this area would be PERFECT for you. I have spent many hours hiking and mtn. biking in the trails easily accessed from the snoqualmie falls upper parking lot. The new neighborhoods being built are full of sidewalks and I've heard the community club is fabulous. The houses are a bit steep, but you get what you pay for: great location, LOTS of greenery, and killer views! If I could afford it, I'd move there in a heartbeat. The place is full of young families with kids, very kid friendly and I haven't heard of any crime. The highway 18/I-90 interchange is the jumping off point for many NW outdoor recreation enthusiasts. I also don't think you'd have any problem with the dogs. Snoqualmie, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No matter where you end up, be sure to at least take a day trip to the Falls...have brunch in the Salish...or take a couple's weekend (leave the kids at home!) and get a romantic room overlooking the falls. The hike to the bottom is well worth it, hop over the railing on the lookout at the bottom, take your picnic, and eat lunch on a big rock out in the river...it's amazing! There's also road access to the bottom and a lot of kayakers and rafters use the lower parking lot to launch their vessels into the water. SnoqualmieFalls.com - Official Web Site

While you won't get a home on the water, you'll be very close. Welcome to the City of Snoqualmie Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington