Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 AM

104 posts, read 130,650 times

Advertisements

We plan to move to the area from the East Coast, in about a year. I've been out there to visit 5 times over the last 5 years and love it. I know about the rain, which doesn't bother me as long as it is not as much as say Forks and it is warmer than Pennsylvania and not as much snow (all of which I hate). The places I have been looking at are Sequim, Port Angeles and Port Townsend. So far, I seem to like Port Angeles best based on the location and the houses..country enough but also city conveniences (I'm a big city girl but want to move to a quieter place that still has some walkable conveniences) We'd love to live with in walking distance of the water as one of our biggest considerations. I'm retired and my husband might still want to work but that's not our main priority.We're waiting on my son getting out of school and being on his own (although he is welcome to come) Can anyone comment on these area's and perhaps add in similar type places? We a progressive (or if you want to call us liberals) That being said, we are friendly to our neighbors if they are friendly, but are not the type that want to be in everyone's business. Few questions: My cousin may be coming along and we'd ideally like a place that either already has one or a garage that could be converted to an apartment for her. There seems to be a lot of that out there, true? Which area's are more liberal and accepting of the same? I also noticed from some posts that there are locals who don't seem open to people from other area's coming there..is that common? Finally, thanks to the posts that I have seen, that seem to be genuinally welcoming to strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The more rural areas of Sequim/Port Angeles are not as liberal as much of the region, with a lot of home-schoolers and people shooting target practice in their large yards. That's mostly between the two cities in the unincorporated rural areas above highway 101. That's also the place where you are more likely to find something with a garage apartment or even a mobile rental/guest on the property

For retiring near the water Sequim has some small, old homes and mobiles near the water, Port Angeles and Port Townsend waterfront areas are mostly commercial. If someone wants to find a job, Port Angeles and Sequim will have a lot more opportunities than Port Townsend. Sequim has a high percentage of retirees from California so they are used to it. If it were me, I'd be looking at Poulsbo. Much easier access to Seattle and shopping in Silvedale, homes within a reasonable distance of public parks on Liberty Bay.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM

510 posts, read 889,111 times
I would say Port Townsend from what you described. Easy to get to the water, VERY liberal, nice walkable town, easy to find rural-ish lots next to the city, lots of events going on, ferry, etc. PA isn't really liberal, but does have a minority of liberals that are vocal so it kind of seems like it. Sequim is weird because of all the so called conservatives that are kind of liberal but don't realize it. They would fall under extreme conservative if still in California, but are much more liberal than the non-Californians.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,784 times
Port Angeles - Shopping, more limited, ferry to Canada. Downtown, working class area. Nice ocean and mountain views. High presence of border patrol. The city's downtown is located along the waterfront, and has some nice sections. Shopping in Port Angeles is limited, but considered a lot for this isolated region. It is clearly a working class city with many middle class and lower class residential areas, as well as commercial sectors. Large government presence and jobs for the government, including federal positions, Border Patrol, Coast Guard, county government, etc. You are nearby the great and rugged Washington coast, Cape Flattery, Hurricane Ridge, Hoh Rainforest, Lake Crescent, and much more.

Port Angeles, Washington

Sequim - In my opinion, Sequim has a growing commercial sector but is still isolated to some level. I like more options of things to buy, see, and do, but then again, I might be spoiled. It seems like a long way if you need to go to Seattle for example for something. Otherwise in my mind, Sequim is nice. It's a growing town and will continue to get better over time (We hope). Weather is also drier in Sequim, less rain. You might like that. You are fairly close to Port Angeles if you need bigger services and different options for shopping.

Port Townsend - Retiree town with historic Victorian downtown and quaint main street. Limited shopping, small hospital, limited services. Nearest big malls 45 minute drive to Silverdale or Sequim. Port Townsend is isolation compared to Sequim x10. It's a small town and certainly beautiful with a great historic downtown, but if you need major shopping done at something like Costco or Walmart, you will have to go to Sequim or Silverdale. You also have the Port Townsend premium on everything from food to gas, it all costs more. You might not like the politics of the town depending on your views, as it is very liberal, artsy, and granola. Downtown shops, some of them, are seasonal and vary in hours depending on tourist season, which completely changes the towns demographics. Most of the town is quiet, peaceful, and retired, but a lot of elderly retired as well. The town has areas catered to the elderly and a slower pace of life. Winds and more rain here then Sequim. It is quiet in Port Townsend and expect to see wildlife and deer on the streets.

Jobs will be very limited in Port Townsend, but as I said, it is very popular with retirees. Certainly a slower pace of life.

Port Townsend, Washington

Port Townsend, Washington

ALTERNATIVE PLACES TO LOOK -

Poulsbo - Growing small cove community. Close to shopping in nearby Silverdale.
Mukilteo - Ferry dock community with a lighthouse, more expensive, ranked 2nd best small town to live in the nation. Close to shopping and major services.
Edmonds - Ferry community, busy quaint downtown, has major services and shopping.
Whidbey Island - Lots of small quaint towns right on the waterfront. Look at Langley, Coupeville, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington