Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:46 AM

576 posts, read 2,265,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
Andy posted a nice list of smaller towns that might suit your needs.
Agreed. Maybe toss Port Townsend in to the mix for consideration as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:28 AM

3,999 posts, read 5,034,098 times
OP, PLEASE don't stop coming to this thread. I know you feel like you got blasted, but I promise you, it really is because these guys care. They KNOW their state. I've lived in hot, humid Dallas for FAR too long...I'm originally from the Seattle area and am working hard at getting back there. I, too, have a strong aversion to the sun...too much makes me crabby, I burn too easily, I get so hot...yada, yada, yada. I totally agree with where you're coming from.

I have been to Forks...a couple of times in long years' past. It was raining both times...hehe...I adore the rain...I'm happy when it rains and I love the gray skies. So my heart is with you when I tell you I know what you mean. BUT...Forks is what they're telling you it is. They're not embellishing but they are strongly telling you that for your needs, that are much more suitable towns. And I appreciate that your kids like the small towns, too, so trust them and look elsewhere...even if it's within a short distance of Forks, let it not be Forks.

We tried to stay in LaPush but the little cabin smelled like fish and it was wet...even inside sorta...anyway, we ended up staying in Port Angeles. Way more quaint...RIGHT on the water...in Sequim, we went to the Dungeoness Spit (AWESOME) and saw every range of home and another quaint town. When you get in the car, I think you'll be truly amazed at the OTHER small towns mingled in the trees, near the water.

I'd be sad if you, OP, were to not get the positives out of posting here. I know these Washingtonians may sound harsh, but I see it as a lot of honesty mixed in with a lot of caring. Forget the package, remember the sentiment. I really believe you and your husband and kids will be able to find the perfect spot for you, but it really will not be Forks. Seriously look at others in the area...

Also, I know this was mentioned, but what about Ocean Shores?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM

302 posts, read 500,932 times
Hubby and I have done a lot of research and looking around. He's been closely looking at Sequim and specifically just West of Sequim towards Port Angeles. He has been checking out lots of videos and such and is beginning to like that a little more. His concern with Ocean Shores is being surrounded by the water. With what we've been through here in South Florida, he worries about flooding and storms causing surges from both directions of the town. Not totally sure about storms in that area like we have them here. We haven't kept track of hurricanes and such in the Pacific and that's something we are now keeping track of to be prepared for. Here, we have a lot to deal with on the Atlantic coast. Our house may be 8-10 miles inland, but my mother-in-law has had to deal with flooding in her yards and house. She had all new carpeting installed and within 4 months, had to have it all replaced again due to the storms about 8 years ago. When we converted the garage into a house, they raised the floor and do this house should not flood.

I have decided to reinforce the thick skin and stay and I really do appreciate all how have responded to my original post.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM

412 posts, read 1,155,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
Hubby and I have done a lot of research and looking around. He's been closely looking at Sequim and specifically just West of Sequim towards Port Angeles. He has been checking out lots of videos and such and is beginning to like that a little more. His concern with Ocean Shores is being surrounded by the water. With what we've been through here in South Florida, he worries about flooding and storms causing surges from both directions of the town. Not totally sure about storms in that area like we have them here. We haven't kept track of hurricanes and such in the Pacific and that's something we are now keeping track of to be prepared for. Here, we have a lot to deal with on the Atlantic coast. Our house may be 8-10 miles inland, but my mother-in-law has had to deal with flooding in her yards and house. She had all new carpeting installed and within 4 months, had to have it all replaced again due to the storms about 8 years ago. When we converted the garage into a house, they raised the floor and do this house should not flood.

I have decided to reinforce the thick skin and stay and I really do appreciate all how have responded to my original post.
There's no hurricanes in Washington state. Just fierce wind storms but the damages from the storms are not as bad as the ones from hurricanes. Altho, they had the worst wind storm few years ago in December 2007 and in 1962. The waves can get pretty big and cause minor coastal flooding, also don't forget that we get tsunami waves caused by undersea earthquakes far in the ocean or even at the Cascadia subdivision.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,783,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
His concern with Ocean Shores is being surrounded by the water. With what we've been through here in South Florida, he worries about flooding and storms causing surges from both directions of the town.
Ocean Shores is within the tsunami evacuation zone as it is low and flat. But once you get just north of town, the area along the coast is hilly enough to keep you safe.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM

3,999 posts, read 5,034,098 times
Well, I think the decision to look around Port Angeles and Sequim are a great idea. That whole area is magical...you'd think Forks would be, too, but it is different. When you see Lake Crescent, you'll be in awe of nature (at least I was), plus the Hoh Rainforest and Hurricane Ridge and, and, and!!!! I think there are enough in those towns that you'll have the weather you want, the opportunities your kids will need, the isolation you want depending on where you live, and then also the socialization when you need it.

I've actually thought about Port Angeles or Townsend if I could only find a good job in my field. Unfortunately, but not really unfortunate, I have to look in Seattle. It's still my dream state...the fact that I'll be able to drive from one end to the other in one day (if I chose) is appealing. I have a feeling when my husband and I finally arrive, we'll be keeping the roads/trails hot!!

I'm glad you (OP) decided to stick it out...I did want to stress that the videos are always going to "get" you...how can one go wrong with the backdrop of Washington??? BUT, I'd still recommend a visit. I know you said your allergies will not likely be a problem, but what if they are? I'd hate for you to realize you might just be miserable despite your desire to be there.

I used to feel that Colorado would be a fine place to live...my folks lived there for many years. Each visit, while stunningly beautiful, I would get altitude sickness and dry, oh so dry sinuses. I was miserable. It really bummed me out, too, because seriously, it was so beautiful. I know I couldn't live there...

Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM

302 posts, read 500,932 times
My nasal and seasonal allergies are no problem usually and I take Claritin and am okay for the most part. Still a stuffy head, but I've had that since I was 3. The other allergies I have, well, no matter where I live I will have to deal with those. Food, medicines and soaps and cleaners. The main one I will not have to worry with very much, is freon. A/C is really a problem, but I deal with it as you can't go a day without the A/C here in South Florida.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:08 PM

265 posts, read 724,061 times
I find I don't have ANY allergies since moving to PA where in the mid-west I got so sick often it would lead to pneumonia twice a year--once in the spring and once in the fall. We came out to the peninsula on a vacation after visiting a few colleges in Seattle that my twins were interested in attending. In the end we settled here, they for college and me just for the weather and it seemed like a good fit. Now we are having to look elsewhere as it no longer fits our needs but I really do love it here. For beauty it cannot be beat. The town itself is not terribly attractive but the views and nature around it is. When we were on vacation I was SHOCKED when we headed to Forks. I expected the beauty we had seen here and in Sequim and was just floored! Once you get past Crescent Lake, which is literally one of the most beautiful places on the planet, it all kind of goes to hell. The forests are not forests but replanted lines of trees--uniform with no charm. The rest of the places, minus the spots where the river is viewed from the road, looks like a nuclear bomb went off. I was completely depressed the 3 days we were there. I LOVED the beaches and I loved the rain forest, but you have to drive to get to both and the town is just this ugly, anti-social hole in the wall. So we settled here where it is beautiful and when we need a dose of ocean or rainforest we drive the 1+ to those locations (usually not even slowing down in FOrks). Also, if you want to see something beautiful, the ocean, and one hell of a scenic ride you need to go to Neah Bay

Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 PM

143 posts, read 396,622 times
We're also considering Sequim, in part due to its lower rainfall (albeit still with lots of cloudiness, and even somewhat colder temps than other areas we've looked at such as Port Orchard and Olympia). We have heard the downside, including its relative isolation (e.g., distance to SeaTac and major shopping-- other than Costco and Walmart-- and some cultural activities), but that isolation doesn't begin to compare to what you'd encounter in Forks. And Silverdale, which has Macy's, etc. isn't far. I wouldn't even consider Forks, especially having driven through it recently. Of course, Sequim has gained a reputation as a decent place to live, especially among retirees, over the past several years, and prices seem to be higher than in many other places.

No hurricanes in Washington? Well, they've had some storms with some pretty tremendous wind damage. Office of Washington State Climatologist: The Storm King - Some Historical Weather Events in the Pacific Northwest Plus, of course, tsunamis. Again, rare, but there are plenty of Tsunami Zone and Tsunami Evacuation Route signs, even along parts of northern Puget Sound. And, don't forget, Mt. Rainier could erupt!

Old 08-11-2013, 11:42 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,537,101 times
Multiple family medical issues and a son who needs work...Forks is isolated, and I can't imagine very many jobs being there. Personally, I found the area depressing to drive through. I agree with others, another place in Western WA would make more sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington