Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:00 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times

Advertisements

Bellevue and the eastside have been booming the past 2 decades, becoming an Economic hub for the state and quickly becoming a population center for western washington. What city is next in line to have a boom in the State of Washington? Do you think there will be another one?

My vote goes to Bremerton and the Tri-Cities. Bremerton is just waiting to boom, and I believe the only reason preventing it from growing is limited access to the eastside of the sound. I think in the future Bremerton could be another big economic center for the state. Also the Tri-Cities are some of the fastest growing areas in Washington. I think the only reason preventing them from booming now is the competitiveness between the cities. If the cities functioned together like one city, I think the area would become very popular.

Interested to know your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,267 times
Let's see....

I believe Seattle's Eastside population will explode as long theres plenty of diverse job opportunities then they will move there. I don't know anything about tri-cities as I have never been there before.

Bremerton might boom if the bridge crossed from West Seattle to Vashon Island to Kitsap Pennisula but the NIMBYists wouldn't let someone build a bridge to Vashon Island from West Seattle. They want to keep the Island rural as possible, which is it. Funny to mention that West Seattle is urban and few miles across the water, it's quickly rural with 14,000 people living on a huge island.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:40 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Tri-Cities has the sunniest weather in Washington. It's almost sunny every day in fall, summer and spring. I can't understand why they are not real cities. Richland is the nicest one, but the other only have houses and apartments. They should build downtown areas with restaurants and places to hang out to become a real city.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:48 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,827,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Tri-Cities has the sunniest weather in Washington. It's almost sunny every day in fall, summer and spring. I can't understand why they are not real cities. Richland is the nicest one, but the other only have houses and apartments. They should build downtown areas with restaurants and places to hang out to become a real city.
Kennewick and Pasco both have areas of shopping and restaurants. Kennewick even has a mall!

Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Bremerton is one Federal budget cut away from economic disaster. There isn't much there besides the Navy, and if they leave or severely cut back there will be many related jobs lost and the City will suffer greatly. I do not see them becoming a boom city. Tri-Cities is growing and will continue to as people looking for more sun move there, but it's too far inland to become a boom city.
If I had to guess I would name a city like Vancouver which is less expensive but close to Portland, has a port and access to the river. Companies may choose to relocate there for affordable land to build on.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Although I must place a disclaimer on this comment that I am not an economist in any way, I would say Wenatchee may be the next boom town.

In 2007, Wenatchee was one of the top-10 fastest growing small-to-mid-sized towns in the country.

This was of course, brought to a halt by the recession, but the ideal weather, proximity to Seattle, and outdoor activities have been a draw for baby boomers and even some younger people moving to the area. And the cheap electricity and best-in-state internet connectivity have started to become a draw for industry - this has already started in the East Wenatchee and Quincy areas.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Sequim...."the retirees are coming...the retirees are coming".

Old 08-10-2013, 01:11 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Kennewick and Pasco both have areas of shopping and restaurants. Kennewick even has a mall!
In my Opinion the Area needs to work together as a functioning unit. I could see Pasco, serving as the True suburbs functioning as a bedroom community. Richland, being the nicest, can be multi purposed. It can be the "Wealthier" area of town that would be alittle more expensive with with nice shopping and dining options, and also an ideal place for a University (or Large Satellite campus) or large Business park. Kennewick, Being the largest, Can be the main business center. They can zone out a true urban area near the River where entertainment, Shopping, and overall life in the Tri-Cities can happen. I think all the cities, need to certain role and focus on Making the Tri-Cities a great area to live that can Boom!

Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I know the mall and the downtown, but they are smaller than Alderwood Mall and downtown Edmonds and don't look good. You can barely see people on the streets.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM

44 posts, read 111,382 times
Any town downstream from Hanford is going to remain out of favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington