Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM

133 posts, read 253,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I can't tell if you are being serious or sarcastic here...
My experiences with workplace whitey: they are very power hungry and tend to be control freaks. Their prejudices makes them question my competence. If they have any doubt, they will try to make my work experience miserable and put a brotha on pins and needles. Meanwhile, dumb white broads in property-management don't know what LEED or Green Built is - how stupid is that?! Out of three major cities I've lived in, Seattle's workplace has been the most anti-black.

When I interviewed with UW Fred Hutchinson, the only black person was the mail carrier. All females in the grant dept (mix of white and asian). After my second interview with that dept, I was certain Affirmative Action would work in my favor against the other final candidate (who was an Asian female). Nope, qualified but denied. I guess UW wants me working in the kitchen with the other brown folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:47 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
I just think the OP had a bad day at work and pins his woes on the scapegoat of racism.

There ain't much racism out here of any kind, let alone against the largest minority group.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 PM

133 posts, read 253,236 times
Default Sick of your lies!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
There ain't much racism out here of any kind
You're an ignorant lying child. Anyone who follows Seattle's crime blotter knows there's a racial crime at least once a month in the area. Grow up and deal with reality, kid.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:52 AM

30 posts, read 81,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Maybe it's just you.

I grew up in a very blue collar area, with a lot of Asian kids (many were children of immigrants) who also grew up to be mostly blue collared adults. They don't have the same complaints that you do. If anything, they seem just like anyone else.

My mother is Japanese, having become US citizen in the early 90s... says her best experience is here in Seattle. Worst experience was in San Francisco, where they did treat low income Asians much worse than the high class, moneyed Asians. (She also lived in the South and the Midwest and still wasn't rudely treated like in SF.)
I've grown up in a traditional Asian setting. I don't know you personally, but the thing about traditional Asians are...they don't think they're being exploited when they in fact are, or should I say it...deep down inside they might be but they don't wanna show it as most of Asians, especially the traditional ones, tend not want to get into any troubles with other non-Asians. Or perhaps they're just Americanized. Hell even many Asians don't like Asians. For those types of Asians who hate themselves...yeah I can understand how they feel and they do have some points when it comes to hating their own race and ethnicity but overall I don't agree with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgilmer View Post
WAH WAH WAH Dear Abbey, I'm unable to perform and blame it on racism what shall i do? Man up and do your job or get another one!!1
Troll and a rather ignorant one. Next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Ignore the haters, Chlee007. I feel you, bro. Once at a Rainier Safeway, I watched a black man accuse an Asian of pick-pocketing. The racist said, "you have to watch those Asians, sneaky ones they are". Blacks should be the least racist folks but that's not the case and it tells a crucial human flaw. As the black guy left the store other Asians spoke among themselves in a language I didn't understand but I did understand when they repeatedly used the n-word. It was ANOTHER ugly racist occurrence in Seattle. Today, KOMO reported a racist skateboarder was run over by a car for yelling slurs at the driver and damaging the windshield. Seattle is so F'd up! We're not who we tell the world we are.

About the workplace bullying - I've also been a victim, e.g., colleagues will introduce the new hire to everyone in my seating area except me (I'm the only black person). People will walk through the office and say hi to everyone except me. The bullying and mistreatment is always done by whitey. My endowed manly parts won't ever let me become a bully, it does absolutely nothing for my self-esteem. But others revel in the role.

Good luck.
The funny thing about Asian racism is that it's more sneaky than the type of blatant racism you've experienced. Ok, on one hand, they tend to treat Asians good on the paper (Able to get a better jobs...etc.), but on the other hands, they'll put whatever work they need to do onto the Asian person so they can have fun. You being to UW, so you probably know that there are students who have that Asian guy to complete their homeworks so they can go party all the time. And the Asian guy have to do an extraordinary job. I've experienced it myself at work. I mean when other white workers who throw pallets all over the place, nothing happens to them and they get away with it just fine. But when I do that, I get yelled at.

Also they tend to resort to intimidation and physical threatening and power trip when it comes to dealing with Asians as Asian culture tend to be less aggressive towards others (It can be a good or bad thing, but another topic.). They know that most of us just gonna smile away, pretending we're happy and not gonna do a damn thing about it.

One thing I gotta say though. I admire how blacks stand up for themselves. I think Asian needs that mentality too, as well as a sense of unity (I remember how Dave Chappelle said once about how's it's funny that Asians beef with themselves. It's funny but he has some very good points.).

Last edited by chlee007; 10-22-2013 at 04:13 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 07:48 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,629 times
Quote:
whitey.

Really? Thats the best word you can find?At least we know who the racist is.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,568 times
Quote:
My experiences with workplace whitey: they are very power hungry and tend to be control freaks. Their prejudices makes them question my competence. If they have any doubt, they will try to make my work experience miserable and put a brotha on pins and needles. Meanwhile, dumb white broads in property-management don't know what LEED or Green Built is - how stupid is that?! Out of three major cities I've lived in, Seattle's workplace has been the most anti-black.
I'm sorry that you've experienced things that have led you to this jaded point of view, but this paragraph could possibly be the most blatant example of racism that I've ever read on this forum. Blatant, stereotypical half-truths like "whitey is very power hungry" or "dumb white broads..." are the very definition of racism.

What would happen if a white dude like me typed something like this about African-Americans? At the least, I would be permanently banned from this site.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 PM

489 posts, read 964,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post

What would happen if a white dude like me typed something like this about African-Americans? At the least, I would be permanently banned from this site.
I was thinking the same thing when I read the other gentleman's post about whitey. Unfortunate he feels that way, so hopefully he can find some inner peace somewhere else in his life.

I haven't noticed racism against Asians during my working life, since about 1985. I was in construction until 2004, where I don't recall seeing an Asian person much if at all. When I moved into IT work in 2005, I worked with several Asians, men and women. Sure, you have ignorant people everywhere who make the stereotype comments, but it didn't feel to me like they were targeting or holding back those who were not white. Maybe they were, and being white, I missed it.

Racism on some level exists pretty much everywhere. I think many people have racist tendencies, but don't want to admit it, or due to how they were raised, don't realize it. That being said, I think great strides have been made in recent years to overcome the racial boundaries from the past.

I am sorry you feel the way you do chlee007. Is it possible you could find a different job?

-Mike

Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlee007 View Post
The funny thing about Asian racism is that it's more sneaky than the type of blatant racism you've experienced. Ok, on one hand, they tend to treat Asians good on the paper (Able to get a better jobs...etc.), but on the other hands, they'll put whatever work they need to do onto the Asian person so they can have fun. You being to UW, so you probably know that there are students who have that Asian guy to complete their homeworks so they can go party all the time. And the Asian guy have to do an extraordinary job. I've experienced it myself at work. I mean when other white workers who throw pallets all over the place, nothing happens to them and they get away with it just fine. But when I do that, I get yelled at.

Also they tend to resort to intimidation and physical threatening and power trip when it comes to dealing with Asians as Asian culture tend to be less aggressive towards others (It can be a good or bad thing, but another topic.). They know that most of us just gonna smile away, pretending we're happy and not gonna do a damn thing about it.

One thing I gotta say though. I admire how blacks stand up for themselves. I think Asian needs that mentality too, as well as a sense of unity (I remember how Dave Chappelle said once about how's it's funny that Asians beef with themselves. It's funny but he has some very good points.).

Hey,
Good stuff.. from the heart...
Just reminding you plenty of whites, and non Asians experience the same thing... Remember it is not always about race, sometimes personality type/culture.

My wife and I both white, are much more "at home" in "polite" cultures than in some of the down right aggressive, angry American sub cultures...

Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Quote:
You're an ignorant lying child. Anyone who follows Seattle's crime blotter knows there's a racial crime at least once a month in the area. Grow up and deal with reality, kid.
All things are relative. Where I came from in Chicago, racism was part of the mentality. All blacks were looked upon with suspicion by whites. All whites were ignorant racists and therefore not to be trusted.

Once a month is freaking spectacular man. In Chicago, not a day goes by without multiple racism-related crimes. I'm not boasting by any means, just saying a) with any large city you're going to have racists and whack jobs and b) it could be a lot, lot worse, and c) given the options, white people in Seattle are the most open, honest, non-racist/bigoted people in the USA except perhaps NYC.

If you're really following the crime blotter that closely, I suggest devoting your energies to something more productive.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:45 AM

335 posts, read 422,495 times
In Bellingham, we just hate Canadians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington