Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,475 times

Advertisements

So my parents are thinking about moving to the Yakima area. As far as climate and culture goes, its no big deal because they're originally from the Tri-Cities (specifically Pasco) though they're moving from the Everett.

My main concern is crime. They're leaning towards Terrace Heights. I looked at a couple crime maps and one showed quite a bit of crime in Terrace Heights and the other showed hardly any. Both showed little in West Valley. Both showed some in Selah.

Their budget is less than 200k so it needs to be affordable. They're looking for a newer home, doesn't have to be big (3 bed, 2 ba., and less than 1400 sq ft) Just curious how West Valley, Selah, and Terrace Heights compare in these categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,068 times
Selah has very little crime. Far below the national and state average. Compared to Yakima's crime rate, Selah is a safe haven. West Valley has little crime too. It is one of the more affluent areas of Yakima, as is Brace and Summitview. They also have among the lowest crime levels in Yakima. The warehouse/industrial area of Terrace Heights, closest to the river and tracks, is where the most crime will be. Though homes in that area can still be targeted, but in comparison with other districts of Yakima, it is still a really safe neighborhood. The further west you go in Yakima, towards the mountains, the safer the neighborhoods.

The highest crime and least desirable areas are in downtown, and the area clustered around it. Gang problems tend to stay in those areas of the city.

Selah is more of the small town America feel to it, but you are also close to the shopping in Yakima and Union Gap. Union Gap has cheap homes, but it isn't that desirable of a town.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,301 times
I have been living in Terrace Heights for 3 years now and I like it as far as Yakima goes. It is mostly retiree's and middle aged people for the most part, so it's fairly quiet and peaceful though it seems to have grown a lot in recent years. Selah is more rural and dare I say redneck, especially if you live outside of Selah in the country. One of my coworkers lives next to a mobile home there full of drug dealing delinquents that have threatened to shoot people, etc.

West Valley is nice and you probably have the best shot at finding available/affordable homes there.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:00 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,473 times
If you can afford it, live in Selah. It is still close to downtown Yakima at least within driving distance and less crowded. It is more like living in a rural agricultural area.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:58 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,475 times
Thanks for the input everyone. My parents bought a house and didn't tell me until two days later! No big deal. They're living in the southern part of the West Valley area. It's pretty isolated, and they seem to like it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington